lozmccall1

e34 Oxford Green 525i Touring SE - OEM+

Well - my first 5 Series and new to the forum - already proven tremendously useful!

I'd been hankering over a 80s/90s touring of some description and have been perusing eBay, carandclassic etc. on and off for a year or so. Back in July M160 PMO popped up near Bristol on eBay but as a proposition was far from what I'm normally looking for in a car. No service history, last MOT expired 2 years ago and by the looks of previous MOTs some potentially expensive work was likely due. I exchanged messages with the seller asking a few questions but the bidding quickly went above what I was willing to pay for the vehicle given the (lack of) history. It ended and I thought nothing of it but a couple days later I got a message from the seller explaining the high bidder hadn't made contact and asking whether I was still interested. A few messages later we agreed a price and the following weekend I found myself making my way to Chippenham to look at the car. 

The story goes - the car had a few owners early in its life but found its way into an old boy's car collection and over time had fallen out of use. His entire collection of cars was put up for sale and the chap I bought it from bought it with the intention of sprucing it up and back on the road but one too many projects meant this had fallen on the back burner. He seemed an honest chap and was transparent about the work he thought the car needed. So off I went home with this in tow (apologies for the low res pics, these are from the original ad): 

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

Edited by lozmccall1

Lovely looking example, Oxford Green is one of my favourite colours in the e34. Being a non sunroof model, will be one less issue to worry about too. The drains are poorly designed and cause extra rust around the bottom of the front wings and sills and can get clogged too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Step 1 was simple - a service. The previous owner had bought but not fitted oil filter, oil, spark plugs, fuel filter and an air filter. To that bundle I added a rocker cover gasket and spent an afternoon unbolting, draining, cleaning, unclipping, filling, bolting and reclipping. 

64B5A569-2E65-4A52-9237-B3082ED79E13.JPG

Edited by lozmccall1

Step two was to get this to 'rolling project' status (i.e. MOT, Tax, Insurance) so off to the local garage it went for the first MOT. I knew full well it was going to fail but wanted to get a feel for how much work was required and how much of that I could do vs. where I'd need help.

It failed. I was going to screen shot the list of MOT failures from the Gov.uk website but it extends beyond a single screen. In short it needed new front to rear brake lines, a bunch of brake pipes, new front to rear fuel lines, a bunch of suspension components/bushes, welding to the offside front sill and something to fix the emissions failure (each and every emissions failure). 

I didn't fancy dropping the rear subframe and crawling under the car on axle stands replacing fuel and brake lines so took the decision to get someone else to do the lot. A few quotes later I agreed on a price and away we went. It was booked in for 3 days... 3 weeks later I got the call to say it was ready to pick up, MOT passed. There were a few parts that needed to be ordered from Germany apparently which each had a 5 day lead time and I suspect the actual work took far longer than they estimated. Fair play to them though, they honoured the original quote with the only additions being a lambda sensor to (successfully) fix the emissions. 

First step achieved - wallet significantly lighter. 

What next? Fix a few common faults (e.g. tailgate wiring), some cosmetic issues and the stereo.

4 minutes ago, amcgrathE34 said:

Lovely looking example, Oxford Green is one of my favourite colours in the e34. Being a non sunroof model, will be one less issue to worry about too. The drains are poorly designed and cause extra rust around the bottom of the front wings and sills and can get clogged too.

Wish I could say I was aware of this when I bought it but must say was pleased when I found out. I suspect that my sills are in pretty poor shape anyway but with a sunroof they'd be toast. 

Wish I could say I was aware of this when I bought it but must say was pleased when I found out. I suspect that my sills are in pretty poor shape anyway but with a sunroof they'd be toast. 

Yeah they are at the age now where there are very few out there which haven't had some form of rust. I have a 525i touring myself, sunroof model , surprisingly enough the sills weren't too bad, so didn't require to much work. but front wings were beyond repair, fortunately they are cheap so wasnt too bad. One thing I'd recommend down the road if it hasn't been done, is changing the vanos seal. mine always felt a bit flat under 3k rpm. I changed the seals couple months ago and it pulled much better lower down the revs. Its fairly easy to do yourself, just need a vanos removal tool which are only about €50.

Lovely car & project. I’ll be following this...

Loving that interior too... The older generation cars are really appealing to me 8)

I tackled the tailgate/boot wiring over the weekend. Upon stripping back the outer mesh to quickly became apparent that:

(1) someone had been in before me and really bodged things together and

(2) it was going to be worth splicing in new wiring all the way from the edge of the tailgate to inside the D-pillar. 

IMG_1086.jpg

So - onto rewiring. I used some silicone stranded wiring which was specifically advertised for its flexibility so hoping it'll last a good while. Also used some solder seal wire connectors for the first time and they were a treat to use in the awkward spots.

IMG_1109.jpeg

IMG_1120.jpeg

IMG_1124.jpeg

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1126.jpeg

On 9/22/2020 at 8:09 PM, amcgrathE34 said:

One thing I'd recommend down the road if it hasn't been done, is changing the vanos seal. mine always felt a bit flat under 3k rpm. I changed the seals couple months ago and it pulled much better lower down the revs. Its fairly easy to do yourself, just need a vanos removal tool which are only about €50.

Very keen to get to this in time - did you follow a guide that you can point me to?

Didn't realise there was a specific tool for removing it but makes sense - did you buy or borrow?

Very keen to get to this in time - did you follow a guide that you can point me to?

Didn't realise there was a specific tool for removing it but makes sense - did you buy or borrow?
I bought it as it was cheap, This is the tool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-SINGLE-VANOS-TIMING-TOOL-KIT-M42-M50-M52-TU-M54-M56-1-8-2-0-2-2-2-5-2-8-3-0L-/252640307609

I bought my seals and anti rattle kit from here.

https://vanos-bmw.com/product/single-vanos-seals-and-rattle-repair-kit-6-cyl

Beisan systems are probably the most popular for vanos seals and have a detailed procedure on there site.

http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html

Other parts you will need are valve cover gasket and vanos gasket.

If you are installing the rattle kit it's worth purchasing their modified 18mm socket as the hex head is a very low profile, or just turn one down in a lathe like I did to get rid of the chamfered edge. Another thing to note is before reinstalling make sure the cam sprocket is turned clockwise as far as it will go and that the gears bite straight away when turning the sprocket back, as this will effect the timing.

Heres a link for the job
https://blog.ecstuning.com/diy-bmw-single-vanos-rebuild-kit/

There are a lot of videos covering this on YouTube too.

Good work on the tailgate wiring, luckily I haven't had to tackle mine as its in pretty good condition.

Started the car to move it after rewiring it last night and have now got a bizarre whine that sounds like its coming from the middle of the dash. It stays on after the cars been turned off and the only way to get it to stop was to unplug/replug the negative battery terminal. Definitely coming from inside the cabin, had the bonnet open and I couldn't hear anything. 

Vid below - volume required. Any ideas?

Edited by lozmccall1

Had a poke around and it sounds like its coming from the climate control unit - is there a fan in there that's sucking air in to test temp?

Also did a test and left a window open so I could hear if the sounds continued without opening the door and 'waking up' the car. The sound goes away after 15ish minutes which makes me think its something that keep running whilst the car is in standby until it properly shuts off.

Edited by lozmccall1

Having fixed a few things that needed fixing I’ve turned my attention to a few (or what will hopefully be many) OEM+ changes including a z3 short shifter and a cd43 head unit with aftermarket Bluetooth adapter plugged in the back to enable streaming and calls via my phone. 

The shorter shifter from the z3 slotted straight in although did require jacking up the car to crawl under to slot the retaining clip back. You might also spy I’ve started pulling bits off to take the headliner out - more on that later.

The cd43 was straight plug and play. I couldn’t justify the £400+ the ‘BMW business CD’ branded ones fetch on eBay so went with a Rover branded one and acetoned/magic erasered off the logo.

C0C5E519-9819-4282-A5BB-C7361AFAC942.jpeg

308006D8-8CBB-46E2-AB83-B41FEB185583.png

B211CEB0-33D1-47D4-9B0D-55FE5CB326AB.jpeg

Edited by lozmccall1

Nice job, been there, done that, very satisfying :)

I'm curious about taking off the Rover logo. Did you try anything else before acetone?  How much did it affect the surface finish? The area looks a tad different to the surrounding area. BTW, a bit of trial and error will get the radio to sit flush with the fascia. You keep some pressure on the lower section of the radio as you tighten the Allen screws.

Keliuss

To be honest I’m not convinced the acetone did anything. I tried it with a cotton bud first and it didn’t look to be shifting it so I switched to the magic eraser. Magic eraser acts as a very fine abrasive as I understand it so has left it slightly more polished than the matte finish of the rest but you can only see it when the light catches it just right. Will take that over the rover logo all day!

The units sitting nice and flush now - thanks for the tip.

I pulled the heavily sagging headlining out this afternoon. Removing the glue from the inner liner is horrible work. I’ve ordered replacement fabric and spray adhesive but going to be a couple days before it arrives. Here’s what it looked like half way through

DEDEBF85-2648-4B95-84CB-D8C65451DBE5.jpeg

Edited by lozmccall1

I agree, fantastic job on that headliner.

Its quite the daunting task, especially when its one whole piece.