Sign in to follow this  
Yuri84

Bmw e61 530d turbo opinion needed

Hi. Need opinion on the picture i have taken. Its off turbo of our e61.

Whats happening is there is whistling sound coming from right hand side,just where turbo is. Its happening when under load from 1500 to about 2200/2500 revs the goes away and only when i load up engine by putting foot dow quick,but if i rev gently then its ok and no sound.

So what been done so far. I replaced all pulleys water pump,and belts. Only things now is aircon pump,but not sure it would be doing it in only at certain revs and conditions,might need to take belt off and try,but pritty sure not that. Ac work well and holds gas.

Next thing is turbo charger. Checked for play and i cant say its terrible,but slightly more than i would like it to be. When moving it by hand i cant feel its touching the wall of the housing,very hard to judge. Play is pritty much same hot or cold,bit more when cold. Went ahead today and checked for play after 1000 miles and its still same. Took a picture and it looks like it is slightly touching housing,but not sure. Compressor wheel is not to pritty though. Car is not burning oil,well we done 3500 miles since it was changed and did not top up,so seems ok.

Can you have a look at the photo and see what you think about it guys?

Thank you.

P.s turbo is original one that done now 203k. Car is ex police and had new engine at 89k miles. Car is not wort much and not really looking forward to replacing a turbo if i can,but then again it big car that is great for my fishing kit and only cost me 1000 pounds to get it back on the road,with 4 new tyres,mot,brake pads and bits like tailgate wiring.loom that i did myself. Its lci 3.0d auto and cannot get one like this for 1000 pounds.

Waiting on your opinion guys.

Thanks again.

IMG_20200920_132349.jpg

I dont think they got any,but will call them tomorrow. Saw couple on ebay,but price is same as for refurb one so no point really. I dont mind spending money to repair the car,but this one is only a workhorse that i dont love,it just function for us. Not a nice thing to say about bmw,but this one i am not attached too. I loved my e60 530d m sport,but this one is not touching my heart so not willing to spend to much.

Does anybody know if i remove turbo from the top without lift or ramps? Would need to remove manifold to do that?

Thanks

To remove from above you need to take off the rocker cover which means removing the injectors 

Which is why alot choose to go from underneath. 

Unless there is visable play in the shaft from side to side I would leave it alone,

Treat it to oil & filter changes every 6k with the stuff GoNz0 recommends from eBay when it's on offer.

& let it warm up well & idle before shutting off.

With a inspection light or your smart phone light you should be able to see any witness marks in the housing

If the impeller is catching it.

I had the exact same whistle and I discovered it was a cracked manifold, replaced it with a cast iron variant from dark side developments and I haven’t had a problem since

1 hour ago, Yuri84 said:

Hi. I was under impression that lci 530d has cast iron manifold?

Yes. M57N2 engine (530d 9/2005->) has cast manifold. Only older M57N engine has this notorious stainless steel exhaust manifold.