Jump to content
bmwtransit

Adblue

Recommended Posts

This may come across as a silly question, but I've never had a BMW before where I have to put Adblue in.

When the time comes, is it just a case of filling it up to the brim or is it a set amount that has to go in? Also is there any specific spec that I should use?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bmwtransit said:

This may come across as a silly question, but I've never had a BMW before where I have to put Adblue in.

When the time comes, is it just a case of filling it up to the brim or is it a set amount that has to go in? Also is there any specific spec that I should use?

 

 

Fill to the brim as the car will use what it needs.
It is all urea based so there is little if any difference between manufacturers and I don't think there are different specifications of the stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

Fill to the brim as the car will use what it needs.
It is all urea based so there is little if any difference between manufacturers and I don't think there are different specifications of the stuff.

 Thanks, Redex do 10L for £10. I'll go with that when the time comes.

11 minutes ago, JDL60 said:

Just make sure you don't get it on your clothes or the car paint, it's horrid stuff!

Is that because it's corrosive or because it stinks :D ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bmwtransit said:

 Thanks, Redex do 10L for £10. I'll go with that when the time comes.

Is that because it's corrosive or because it stinks :D ?

It's not corrosive just unpleasant on clothes and can discolour your lovely paint if left to dry as it crystalises....washed off with fresh water it would also be fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can fill to the brim but iDrive will tell you how much it needs also, so maybe just a bit less to avoid spillage. 
Some filling stations have pumps, others will have bags or bottles where you pour it in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can track down a filling station that has a pump, it's a much cleaner and considerably cheaper way to fill up. Paid about €5 for 10 litres last time I used one.

 

The adblue pump nozzle has a switch in it, which opens when it is close to a magnet in the filler opening. My F10 didn't have this magnet which meant you could only fill up at the pump very slowly because opening the nozzle too much would shut it off. Have not yet needed to fill up the G30 but it does appear to have this magnet (can be detected by holding an iron object inside the adblue filler port) so I am expecting everything to go fine.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.