qprdude

Boot lid switch.

Hi. The boot lid switch on my 2011 F10  520d has stopped working. The button on the drivers door frame (A pillar?) works ok, as does the button on the remote fob. The button on the lid, beside the reverse camera does nothing. Is it just a case of a duff switch, or could I have inadvertently messed something up.?  I'm worried that if the remote operating packs up, I have no way of getting at my Bowling and Golf gear. 

Could do with some advice if anyone can help. Cheers. 

Edited by qprdude

The bit you touch in the handle is one end of a plastic lever, which operates a small microswitch mounted to the top of the handle moulding. The entire handle assembly isn't too difficult to remove  as it just clips into the hole in the boot panel.

It could be the microswitch but more likely the rubber/plastic of the handle has degraded to a point where it no longer activates the switch.

This should give you a better idea

Cheers for that. Its the one with the reverse camera at the right side of the unit. ( looking forward) . I tried a bit of gentle persuasion to get it out but it sure ain't as easy to remove as the video shows. The surround is much more rigid for a start and the camera lens seems to be integrated in the same piece. I'll  have another look at it tomorrow after golf. Any idea if the whole thing would be expensive and if its just " plug and play" or if the remotes have to be programmed? I'm thinking more of a DIY job than BMW dealer prices. There are some on ebay but maybe not worth the risk.

Edited by qprdude

OK. Temporary fix for split rubber . Remove unit. Disconnect camera lens housing and wiring block to micro-switch.  Run a line of super glue along the split on the inside of the "hand hold" part. Allow to dry for ten minutes (ish). Run a line of superglue along the split rubber at the switch side. Allow to dry for 15 minutes or until it's no longer tacky.  (longer the better I suppose).

Refit wire plug. Fit unit back into boot lid. (I tested it first).

The reverse camera lens is a bit fiddly to fit back into the hole. Make sure you hear the clips on both sides engaging into the plastic housing, otherwise, like mine, it can pop out and disappear into the void between the lid and the inner lining. I had to pop out one of the number plate lights to get my clumsy fingers behind the lens and aim it back through the hole in the plastic surround. I also had to remove one screw from my number plate and swing it down to allow the camera clearance, as it's tight to the boot lid.

I'll be ordering a new switch of course but  meanwhile I have mechanical and remote access.

. Allow to dry