Marc_86

New turbo v2!!!

11 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Well happy to report everything went to plan and its all done now.

100% camshaft sensor did not allow the car to start. So cranked it for 5 seconds, 4 times with rests between.

Buttoned everything back up and allowed to get to temp.

Then packed up and celebrated with a lot of drinks so didnt actually drive it ha.

Everything was straight forward other than that poxy bottom maf hose bolt...what a nightmare...must have taken an hour to get it nipped up with a combination of tools and bendy bit holder's. Stupid access or lack of.

That's why I don't have that bolt on mine at all. Easy and fast access to everything :D

40 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

That's why I don't have that bolt on mine at all. Easy and fast access to everything :D

I thought the same about 30mins into the bolt but was worried it wouldn't give an air tight seal if it wasn't nipped right up?

5 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

I thought the same about 30mins into the bolt but was worried it wouldn't give an air tight seal if it wasn't nipped right up?

No, it will be fine. It's only vacuum created from turbo in that area, not pressure. And pipe is pushed into MAF housing with seal in-between them. Exactly the same design at the other end, where pipe is pushed on turbo intake, with the same design gasket between both, but there's not a single bolt or clamp around, still everything is air tight. 

Edited by Ray112

22 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

No, it will be fine. It's only vacuum created from turbo in that area, not pressure. And pipe is pushed into MAF housing with seal in-between them. Exactly the same design at the other end, where pipe is pushed on turbo intake, with the same design gasket between both, but there's not a single bolt or clamp around, still everything is air tight. 

Still the gasket on turbo has much wider sealing surface than the one on MAF side. And if there is any leak it will be unmetered air.

24 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Still the gasket on turbo has much wider sealing surface than the one on MAF side. And if there is any leak it will be unmetered air.

Yes, but when tightening bolts, you are not applying any pressure to that gasket anyway. Gasket is between two sidewalls not between two pipe ends, so one or two bolts won't make difference if pipe is fully engaged in place.

Well the car has survived its maiden voyage since the new turbo went in on the weekend.

No smoke

No oil leaks

No whistle/howling like before

All seems well - although only popped to asda for click and collect a few miles away but still got up to temp.

Not floored it yet - gonna ease in gently ha.