mohf10

F10 LCI Vibrations at 70mph

Hey fellow BMW owners,

I'm new to this forum having stumbled upon it whilst browsing.

I have a little issue with my 5 series. I have a 2015 BMW 520D and I have noticed that the whole car vibrates at around 70mph. At lower speeds 60 and under it isn't vibrating. What could the issue be? Is it an expensive fix or anything? It's quite concerning because I don't want the vibrations to cause any new issues or worsen whatever it is.

26 minutes ago, mohf10 said:

Hey fellow BMW owners,

I'm new to this forum having stumbled upon it whilst browsing.

I have a little issue with my 5 series. I have a 2015 BMW 520D and I have noticed that the whole car vibrates at around 70mph. At lower speeds 60 and under it isn't vibrating. What could the issue be? Is it an expensive fix or anything? It's quite concerning because I don't want the vibrations to cause any new issues or worsen whatever it is.

Wheel balancing?

I would also say wheel balancing 

Brake disc's can also cause this but mainly when brake peddle is depressed.

Tyre balancing is cheap the weight on the wheel has probably come off. 

Does it go when you go past 70?  Is it the whole car?  You can get a passenger to sit in different seats and see if the vibration is worse in any corner. 

Suspects would be:-

Prop shaft related

Drive Shaft (would be one side)

Wheel out of balance

Wheel bearing

Suspension issue

Wheel balancing and suspension brushes comes to mind although I would start with wheel balancing. Perhaps consider a 4 wheel alignment on a hunger machine also when balancing so you know the geometry is well. Could even be a buckled alloy which again, is simple to rule out if you have access to a spare wheel?

Check tyres for any delamination or damage on inner edges. This was the cause of my vibration at 65-70mph. A set of new tyres sorted it.

Screenshot_20190424-140429_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, sanjx said:

Wheel balancing and suspension brushes comes to mind although I would start with wheel balancing. Perhaps consider a 4 wheel alignment on a hunger machine also when balancing so you know the geometry is well. Could even be a buckled alloy which again, is simple to rule out if you have access to a spare wheel?

Hunter machine...did you post before tea?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and opinions. I've booked it in for Friday to get the wheels balanced at a local kwik fit. I'll post an update after Friday if the problem has gone or still occurring. 

This thread is interesting, I have I would say a very minor vibration as I get to 70mph also but it really is minor. I have just found out that my rear nearside has this issue you mention @Phil_530d and they are changing the tyre for a new one. I will be interested to know if it eliminates it!

I have got the same vibration too and sometimes worst on corners my tyres getting on a bit i put it down to tyres and will soon get a replacement see of mine resolves.

Although I'm on 'goflats' - Michelin CrossClimate+ - I find they're smooth as you like up to about 75mph, after which there is a gentle rumble that is apparent, but doesn't cause wobble or vibration up to around 110mph, where it smoothes out again. Up to 170ish they stay smooth, which does help as I do tend to be concentrating rather a lot at those speeds. 

I did get them all rebalanced back in Feb, and all were spot on - free balanced rather than road pressure balanced.

Whether the fact it's an ex-traffic car has any effect on how it's set up or the variation to M-Sport suspension, I know not. It's just interesting how it kicks in only just above the UK speed limit.

5 minutes ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Although I'm on 'goflats' - Michelin CrossClimate+ - I find they're smooth as you like up to about 75mph, after which there is a gentle rumble that is apparent, but doesn't cause wobble or vibration up to around 110mph, where it smoothes out again. Up to 170ish they stay smooth, which does help as I do tend to be concentrating rather a lot at those speeds. 

I did get them all rebalanced back in Feb, and all were spot on - free balanced rather than road pressure balanced.

Whether the fact it's an ex-traffic car has any effect on how it's set up or the variation to M-Sport suspension, I know not. It's just interesting how it kicks in only just above the UK speed limit.

Yeah I'm on run flats too. Run flats tend to be a bit more noisy than usual tyres so yours might just be noisy possibly. No issue just can get annoying right lol

Mine are 'go-flats' not runflats.... first thing I did having driven almost 1000km across europe was ditch the runflats. They were horrid. The CrossClimates are soooo much better.

4 minutes ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Mine are 'go-flats' not runflats.... first thing I did having driven almost 1000km across europe was ditch the runflats. They were horrid. The CrossClimates are soooo much better.

Haha good on you I've heard good things about crossclimates. I'm gonna stick with my run flats for now until they need changing and I'll probably get cross climates or pirelli p zeros then. 

On 16/09/2020 at 22:22, Jimbo07g41 said:

Hunter machine...did you post before tea?

haha yes, Hunter not hunger!

Thanks everyone who recommended me to get wheel balancing done. The vibrations have gone now. Legends!! I noticed I get vibrating when I brake on motorway though so I think it might be the brakes needing realignment. At low speeds I can feel the brakes pulsating too. 

Brakes don't get realigned... If you can feel the pulsing then one or more discs are warped. Time to replace discs, pads and sensor remembering to clean all mating surfaces.

Once done properly, you should be good to go probably for the next couple of years, depending on how heavy a braker you are.

8 minutes ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Brakes don't get realigned... If you can feel the pulsing then one or more discs are warped. Time to replace discs, pads and sensor remembering to clean all mating surfaces.

Once done properly, you should be good to go probably for the next couple of years, depending on how heavy a braker you are.

I should get disks replaced as well as pads? 

The pulsing would be caused by one/both warped discs pushing against the brake pistons as they rotate. That pulsing isn't a good thing, neither is the extra vibration caused by the wobble which will damage other components. Worst of all is the fact your brakes will effectively be off - on - off - on as the warp passes the brake pads.

Fronts are stunningly easy to replace on the F10/11 and you replace both discs and pads together. Assuming the discs are undamaged once the new pads wear down, then you'd change only the pads next time around. Typically it's 2 sets of pads to one set of discs, but that can vary depending on many factors. You need to replace the wear sensor when you replace the pads or the service indicator won't reset.

Best advice, stick with standard discs and pads - you can get the correct part numbers for your specific build from RealOEM, then shop where you are happiest to avoid BMW prices. Personally, on my 530d I fit ATE all round. For fronts, you're looking about an hours' work assuming you have a cuppa (with biscuits) halfway.

On 9/17/2020 at 7:47 AM, percha said:

This thread is interesting, I have I would say a very minor vibration as I get to 70mph also but it really is minor. I have just found out that my rear nearside has this issue you mention @Phil_530d and they are changing the tyre for a new one. I will be interested to know if it eliminates it!

Well thats good news, managed to get up to 70mph today and the vibration has gone! must of been this issue I had on my rear near side tyre.

10 hours ago, percha said:

Well thats good news, managed to get up to 70mph today and the vibration has gone! must of been this issue I had on my rear near side tyre.

Glad its sorted. Amazing how a minor tyre abnormality can cause an issue like that

Edited by Phil_530d
correction