Sign in to follow this  
Torres

Chrome Bumper Trim

Hi guys,

New to the forum, but not so much to E28s. I bought a 1988 520i about 2 years ago.

This forum has been a huge help over the last couple years, and I'm hoping it can come to the rescue once again. I've had a hunt around here & elsewhere, but haven't managed to find any solid leads.

The front and rear bumper chrome trims are in fairly good, clean & shiny, condition. However, at 3 of the 4 corners there are cracks exposing the material underneath. I believe this is causing a small amount of rusting & due to the water ingress (stored outside for a period of time before I got my hands on it) - the chrome coating has a small upturn at each side of the crack.

I'll attach pictures as soon as I'm able, however I'm currently working offshore & won't be home until the end of the month :(

I've been able to clean them up, so they're not as noticeable. But now I'm looking for a permanent solution. I don't think it's something which would be repairable, but maybe someone knows different.

Does anyone have any knowledge on estimated prices for replacement parts or is there a way to remove, strip & re-coat them? I'd prefer to keep the original chrome look but if they could be sprayed black or replaced with trim style plastic, I could be convinced.

Cheers for any help. Apologies for the lack of photos!

Edited by Torres