marko530d

Rubber burning smell with aircon on full.

Hi guys 

Yesterday morning got into my 5er and turned aircon to max few minutes later could smell a rubber burning smell I stopped and had smell under hood couldn't smell anything so thought it must be someone burning something went on my way no smell all day..

Today same sernario aircon to max soon as we got in car (engine cold) same burning smell immediately then went away after minute or so drove all day no smell. 

Any ideas guys belt maybe ... 

Cars got 159k 

Weres bouts is the aircon belt on a 3.0d n57 engine thanks mark 

Edited by marko530d

Unless you're also hearing a 'screeching' it doesn't sound like a seized pulley... more likely a belt rubbing on something... question is, what? And why only when the aircon is on max?

I could be that whatever is causing it  is so minor that its not normally being drawn in at lower fan speeds? Either way it's not a good thing.

You should be able to follow the belt path easily enough with a flashlight, and checking the edges of the belt for damage may give you an idea of severity.

NewTIS has plenty of pictures and diagrams to help :

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-530d-tou/repair-manuals/11-engine/11-28-drive-belt-with-tensioning-deflecting-element/1LGfh6b2

There's loads of YouTube videos that can help you identify things on an N57 : This one isn't too bad just as a basic guide

Had a bit of a look around couldn't see much tbf nothing looks like it's rubbing at the end of the video is what looks like coolent checked all levels are fine.

Cant smell burnt smell under bonnet but definitely in cabin.

And only on max setting.

Edited by marko530d

If nothing is obviously worn or damaged, next question is could you smell the burning anywhere in the engine bay?

If not, it's pointing more toward something within the ventilation system or near enough to be drawn in.

It really is a matter of eliminating things stage by stage.

Certainly would account for your symptoms..... even if it's just a buildup of dust in the blower.

Yet another advert for regular replacement of your cabin air filters.

cabin filters would be first port of call. PLus try running it in anger for a while (say 30mins plus) as it may clear itself. Try 15mins on max then 15mins on low to allow the system really to be pushed to it's extremes and see what it highlights?

Yeah got one off ebay that supercedes my part £45 posted genuine bmw simple fix really do the work myself.

Tbf cheaper then replacing aircon belt and tensioners.

Yeah its still working but its been blowing cold air for 9 years and 160k miles. 

Its replacement had 83k for the money no big deal gives me something to mess on with :) spent more filling tank monday.

Screenshot-20200916-201435-Chrome.jpg

Edited by marko530d

Took old unit out completely today 

20200917-143208.jpg

And gave inside a clean 

20200917-144153.jpg

Definitely the motor can smell it inside only matter of time before it failed completely.

The housing foaming had a fair bit of crap attached to it so cleaned that up too 

20200917-151216.jpg

Old resistor looks in decent condition tbf definitely the original unit 

20200917-143706.jpg

Just wait for replacement and refit 

Will let you guys know how it goes....

Edited by marko530d

While it's fresh in your mind you may want to think about a simple 'how to'... you just know this won't be the last one to need changing.

You could even do pics putting the new one back in... removal I assume, being the reverse of assembly :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

While it's fresh in your mind you may want to think about a simple 'how to'... you just know this won't be the last one to need changing.

You could even do pics putting the new one back in... removal I assume, being the reverse of assembly :rolleyes:

Its all in video andy apart from ours in uk is opposite side but i could do to help others as I don't see one on the forum.

Edited by marko530d

7 minutes ago, marko530d said:

i could do to help others as I don't see one on the forum

Every little helps :D

A DIY how to detailed with photos and any potential pitfalls would be a worthy addition to information mine on the site. Newtis is ok but you can't beat first hand experience. 

26 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Every little helps :D

A DIY how to detailed with photos and any potential pitfalls would be a worthy addition to information mine on the site. Newtis is ok but you can't beat first hand experience. 

Yeah Caldwell agreed. :rolleyes: