Jump to content
J.Sayer

Coilovers

Recommended Posts

I’ve decided its time I get some lows on my car, what brands of coilovers do people use and recommend?

 

I found a set of Street+ Stance Coilovers for £270, but I have no idea about the different brands or quality etc!

 

Any help much appreciated, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO APs at a minimum, ideally along the lines of BCs, D2s or Bilstein B12s etc...

 

The coilovers you mentioned are cheap, akin to eBay specials.

 

Each to their own (their / your car, their / your budget). Buy cheap generally means no good/crap/avoid etc...

 

These are heavy cars, not old Honda Civic tin cans etc.... So buy the best you can (save more if necessary) and do it right first time around :)

 

Dont forget that lowering a car will put added pressure on other suspension components, so they all need to be in fine fettle beforehand, plus getting coilovers fitted properly, ideally with some corner weighting, a full track and alignment and a fast road set up, is what gets the best out of them... They're deffo not fit & forget!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got KW Street Comforts but still getting the car back together, I can't say how they handle yet. Not designed for going mega low either, I'm planning on running it just a tad lower than the M sport setup so they'll be within the preload spec.

 

Had cheap coilovers on other cars before but they always seized the alloy adjusters even with copper anti-seize on them, I remembered they started leaking too so got rid of them. You get what you pay for!

 

I would also keep the rubber gaiters and bump stops if they'e ok, should you need to go back to the standard setup it's handy to have them sitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im gonna go with bc racing as my shocks and springs need replacing.

 

They are fully adjustable and roughly £800.

Springs and oem shocks wouldn't be far off so I'm going with them hopefully soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first question would be have you ever been in a car fitted with coilovers? This is the question that I have been asked by 2 separate garages that I use when I have mentioned fitting coilovers.  As already mentioned, £270 buys you cheap, cheap coilovers. The old saying, "pay cheap, pay twice" springs to mind!! 

 

I can't give you any advice as I've never had coilovers fitted but from what I've read buy the best you can afford. 

 

Have you considered Eibach/H&R springs matched to new/uprated shocks?

 

Let us know what you ultimately decide on.

 

James

Edited by James777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, James777 said:

My first question would be have you ever been in a car fitted with coilovers? This is the question that I have been asked by 2 separate garages that I use when I have mentioned fitting coilovers.  As already mentioned, £270 buys you cheap, cheap coilovers. The old saying, "pay cheap, pay twice" springs to mind!! 

 

I can't give you any advice as I've never had coilovers fitted but from what I've read buy the best you can afford. 

 

Have you considered Eibach/H&R springs matched to new/uprated shocks?

 

Let us know what you ultimately decide on.

 

James

 

 

Personally, I’ve run coilovers for over 15 years now, ran Nitron coilovers on an Integra DC5 as well as custom built coilovers  and then coilovers from BCs, D2s, KWs, MeistrR etc...

 

I used to rate KWs but not a fan of them (albeit the last time I fitted them was back in 2010...) Know a lot of folk that have had them fitted and still have them fitted and have been plagued with numerous issues (failed dampers, failed D bushes, leaking dampers, seized adjuster collars etc). They're not something I’d personally recommend, but on the flip side, a lot of folk run them and have zero issues...

 

For me, the BCs and D2s are the best on the market under £1k and I wouldn’t run anything cheaper on my cars...

 

It is horses for courses, like folk run cheap,oil, or cheap tyres, or cheap brakes etc... It’s a very personal choice and all down to budget
 

Do you want to run coilovers because you want to run your car much lower than springs & dampers would go, or are you thinking for doing a few track days. Or do you  just want them to replace old suspension and it’s a cheaper option?

Edited by d_a_n1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

 

Personally, I’ve run coilovers for over 15 years now, ran Nitron coilovers on an Integra DC5 as well as custom built coilovers  and then coilovers from BCs, D2s, KWs, MeistrR etc...

 

I used to rate KWs but not a fan of them (albeit the last time I fitted them was back in 2010...) Know a lot of folk that have had them fitted and still have them fitted and have been plagued with numerous issues (failed dampers, failed D bushes, leaking dampers, seized adjuster collars etc). They're not something I’d personally recommend, but on the flip side, a lot of folk run them and have zero issues...

 

For me, the BCs and D2s are the best on the market under £1k and I wouldn’t run anything cheaper on my cars...

 

It is horses for courses, like folk run cheap,oil, or cheap tyres, or cheap brakes etc... It’s a very personal choice and all down to budget
 

Do you want to run coilovers because you want to run your car much lower than springs & dampers would go, or are you thinking for doing a few track days. Or do you  just want them to replace old suspension and it’s a cheaper option?

 

That's great information on coilovers for the OP Dan, especially with over 15 years actual experience of running different makes of coilovers!!  

 

Hopefully the OP will answer your question on why they want to use coilovers.

 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I used to rate KWs but not a fan of them (albeit the last time I fitted them was back in 2010...) Know a lot of folk that have had them fitted and still have them fitted and have been plagued with numerous issues (failed dampers, failed D bushes, leaking dampers, seized adjuster collars etc). They're not something I’d personally recommend, but on the flip side, a lot of folk run them and have zero issues...

 

Damn! :lol: Hopefully my set last a while, I'd seen BCs are popular with the drift crowds but I wasn't swayed at the time.

 

My experience with coilies has been if you're not great at avoiding potholes (an ever increasing challenge on UK roads), you're going to have a bad time. Harsher ride than standard but better in corners. Generally a bit more messing about getting it in the air, driving onto planks to get clearance before you can get a jack underneath. Too low and it can be an issue with most garages, their ramps and tracking equipment  not being suitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FLX said:

 

Damn! :lol: Hopefully my set last a while, I'd seen BCs are popular with the drift crowds but I wasn't swayed at the time.

 

My experience with coilies has been if you're not great at avoiding potholes (an ever increasing challenge on UK roads), you're going to have a bad time. Harsher ride than standard but better in corners. Generally a bit more messing about getting it in the air, driving onto planks to get clearance before you can get a jack underneath. Too low and it can be an issue with most garages, their ramps and tracking equipment  not being suitable.


Fully agree that if the cars ‘slammed’ then that owners brought it on themselves with issues that will lie ahead...

 

But they don’t need to be slammed, unless it’s for looks and even my E39 touring, on OEM Sport suspension to begin with was too low to get to the front subframe jacking mount. The likes of the Draper/Sealey low car ramps are really handy to get the car up high enough to get to that jacking point, c£40 on Amazon etc

 

But coilovers, decent ones, shouldn’t give a rough ride at all, more so when set up properly, as said above, with some corner weighting and the damping rate adjusted properly for the style of driving (can be hit & miss and takes some tweaking though I will admit).

 

But none of my cars, including my E39s and my E38 728i that was on BC coilovers ever had ah harsh ride, in fact they were. A better ride than the OEM suspension they replaced (all of it in fine condition), but they we installed by my motorsport mechanic pal who really knows his beans when it comes to setting up cars etc...

 

And obviously they were superb at taking corners and bends better ;) 

 

For me, it’s all about getting the ride height fine tuned and the damping rate that makes the drive superhero, I do think too many folk fit coilovers and then forget about them. They really aren’t plug n play, more so if you don’t know what you’re doing re the pre-load and the damping /rebound adjustments etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:


Fully agree that if the cars ‘slammed’ then that owners brought it on themselves with issues that will lie ahead...

 

But they don’t need to be slammed, unless it’s for looks and even my E39 touring, on OEM Sport suspension to begin with was too low to get to the front subframe jacking mount. The likes of the Draper/Sealey low car ramps are really handy to get the car up high enough to get to that jacking point, c£40 on Amazon etc

 

But coilovers, decent ones, shouldn’t give a rough ride at all, more so when set up properly, as said above, with some corner weighting and the damping rate adjusted properly for the style of driving (can be hit & miss and takes some tweaking though I will admit).

 

But none of my cars, including my E39s and my E38 728i that was on BC coilovers ever had ah harsh ride, in fact they were. A better ride than the OEM suspension they replaced (all of it in fine condition), but they we installed by my motorsport mechanic pal who really knows his beans when it comes to setting up cars etc...

 

And obviously they were superb at taking corners and bends better ;) 

 

For me, it’s all about getting the ride height fine tuned and the damping rate that makes the drive superhero, I do think too many folk fit coilovers and then forget about them. They really aren’t plug n play, more so if you don’t know what you’re doing re the pre-load and the damping /rebound adjustments etc

 

Couldn't agree more with you Dan regarding setting up coilovers when fitted and the time it takes to set them up properly. You've won a watch having someone who knows what their doing when it comes to setting up a car on coilovers. I've toyed with the idea of coilovers but will probably go down the route of Eibach springs and uprated shocks when it comes to changing out the suspension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eibach springs with shocks will cost near enough the same as bc coilovers so i've made the decision to go with them soon (with new top mounts).

 

I'm not going that low, a touch lower than msport and similar stiffness, the coilovers have adjustable dampers so they should ride nice and i can play around with them rather than make do with one setting like eibach springs.

 

I've had teins on a accord type r that were good and meister R on a ek4 but they're totally different cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mo_1986 said:

Eibach springs with shocks will cost near enough the same as bc coilovers so i've made the decision to go with them soon (with new top mounts).

 

I'm not going that low, a touch lower than msport and similar stiffness, the coilovers have adjustable dampers so they should ride nice and i can play around with them rather than make do with one setting like eibach springs.

 

I've had teins on a accord type r that were good and meister R on a ek4 but they're totally different cars.


Had Tein Street coils on my ATR too ;) MeisterRs on an EK9 and BCs on an EG6 SiR-S and then on my DC5 before I went over to Nitrons... The Teins I had were bloody horrible. Really weren’t good but the ATR only lasted 4 months with me anyways... Never gelled with that car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:


Had Tein Street coils on my ATR too ;) MeisterRs on an EK9 and BCs on an EG6 SiR-S and then on my DC5 before I went over to Nitrons... The Teins I had were bloody horrible. Really weren’t good but the ATR only lasted 4 months with me anyways... Never gelled with that car!

No way i loved my atr, still miss it! 

It wasn't the fastest but was a good all rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mo_1986 said:

No way i loved my atr, still miss it! 

It wasn't the fastest but was a good all rounder.


Bough it at the wrong time I think...

 

I had an ex MG Longbridge  managers MG ZT at the time, great car, 190 V6 with red Alcantara and leather interior etc... The ATR was to be a project (PFL pirates black it was) and in superb condition, but found it too raw... Sold it for £500 more than I paid for it and went and bought a 5th Gen Prelude BB8 in Iceberg Silver. Stuck the ATR cams in to that, ATR 2 pot brakes up front with 300mm discs and it made for a great GT car....

 

They went and bought my first BMW, an E38 728i and it all went downhill from there ;) :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You had an EK9, EG6 and a DC5 but the ATR was too raw? :wacko:

 

I've owned a DC2 and still own a DC5 (currently SORN) and i keep looking at ATR's as they're still such good value, especially like one in pirates black, i would have thought it would be a nice middle ground, i need to stop looking and just get my BB6 back on the road :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.Sayer said:

I’m just after some adjustable coilovers so I can change the ride height to suit how I want!

 

Go for the APs then (think they do them for an E60/61); but ideally you'd fit new top mounts all round too...

 

However, once you add that lot up, it could be that BC or D2 coilovers come in around the same price; then you'll have full ride height & rebound adjustability...

 

My preference would be for those; but again, it's all down to your budget.

 

If you can save more £££ and buy the best you can :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2020 at 11:48, max535 said:

You had an EK9, EG6 and a DC5 but the ATR was too raw? :wacko:

 

I've owned a DC2 and still own a DC5 (currently SORN) and i keep looking at ATR's as they're still such good value, especially like one in pirates black, i would have thought it would be a nice middle ground, i need to stop looking and just get my BB6 back on the road :lol:

 

Yeah; as said I was in an MG ZT at the same time too and started to really like 'normal' saloons; the idea was to sell that on and stick with the ATR, but  it would have been a backwards step for me... 

 

Still want another though :lol: Would be a great project again. 

 

I follow a couple of ATR threads over on Pistonheads and they don't help with the craving haha :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

Go for the APs then (think they do them for an E60/61); but ideally you'd fit new top mounts all round too...

 

However, once you add that lot up, it could be that BC or D2 coilovers come in around the same price; then you'll have full ride height & rebound adjustability...

 

My preference would be for those; but again, it's all down to your budget.

 

If you can save more £££ and buy the best you can :) 


Call me daft, whats the idea in new top mounts if the original ones are good?

 

Appreciate the advice, I definitely need to save  for this, don’t want to buy twice as they say

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, J.Sayer said:


Call me daft, whats the idea in new top mounts if the original ones are good?

 

Appreciate the advice, I definitely need to save  for this, don’t want to buy twice as they say

 

For me it's one of those things that whilst all the suspension is off, it's worth swapping them out so you know it's all fresh and minty etc :) 

 

Personal preference and the likes of the Meyle top mounts aren't that expensive at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×