Sign in to follow this  
spawn9076

Engine mounts, how solid should they be?

Hello,

Whilst just checking around my car after doing some work to it I'm still left trying to diagnose a noise from the passenger side of the vehicle.

Motorways there is no noise or smooth roads.

But as soon as the left side hits bumps or uneven road 1/10 holes there will be a slight thud/bump.

I've noticed above the damper the cushion that sits in the dust cover has come out and the dust cover needs to be renewed.

I'm uploading a video of my engine idle and being revved, it doesn't seem so bad to me, but it may be early signs the passenger side mount is failing and under certain condition the mount is compressing enough to make contact.

Here's a video.

Also just to note the 

Lower arms wishbone and tension arms. Have been replaced and are brand new. The anti roll bar bushes are new and the anti roll bar links. The others looked abit old and warn.

I'm left with either diagnosing bad lower left engine mount, or bad damper.

Thank you in advance for any advices. (PS my engine is due an oil change in maybe 3/4thousand miles. But it I don't have any problems with the way she runs or changes gear.

I was under the impression that they are hydraulic mounts and unless they are leaking should be good? I dont understand what the vacuum lines attached to them does though..

Does it happen when weather warm or all the time? Maybe top mounts for the shock?

Also how many miles has it done looking at the video it has a b47 so it has to be 64 plate onwards. I have done 92k and haven't changed anything on suspension apart from steering rack. 

its a 2014.

what was wrong with your steering rack?

it has 84k miles on it.

the vacuum lines attached to them change the pressure with engine speed to increase how much damping effect they give, or i believe so

Edited by spawn9076

I am surprised that many components changed but maybe with it being msport. Mine is SE and riding on go flats might be helping to suspension.

Steering rack started knocking at 32k got replaced at 37 knocking returned with the new rack at 47, only does it if the temperature above 20. Common problem apparently, however local dealer at the time took 4 attempts to diagnose.

Following year they had quiet a few of them failed. 

Going back to your question i am positive mine has similar play when you rev it and mine certainly doesn't knock and i am definitely at ocd side when it comes to noise.

i thought that was the case tbh, it could be possible then that there a problem with the damper or top mount. i guess i'll have to book it in. tempted to just replace both front dampers and mounts.

but id rather not if they don't need doing and i find i need to rectify this bumper still.

I have heard people saying there can be a knock from break pads.

but ive also replaced some pads and discs which made no difference to the noise. also was the steering rack knocking when turning or on one side when hitting bumps

Edited by spawn9076

The rack does all of that but you feel it through steering and floor when it knocks but it will not do it if its not warm weather. For example i can start in the morning no knock; drive midday in summer knocking there. Next day or later on evening nothing.

Reading yours it doesn't sound like the rack unless similar to what  i describe also when rack knocks its worse at drivers side than passenger.

When all those components been replaced did they torque everything properly? 

it doesn't sound like the rack then so that's a relief.

replaced all the parts myself. and i was competent following the guides and exact torque requirements. 

the work which has been doesn't seem to have effected the noise at all really, its starting to sound like the damper. 

i guess i'll just book it in for them to tell me whats wrong. and i'll replace it myself if its the damper, i'll just do the pair.

will keep people updated.

the noise is most notable from the passenger side, and i do feel like i can feel some small amount of vibration in the steering wheel. on smooth roads its fine really its over bumpy roads i feel/hear the noise like a metal/pop/thud.

Ok well I think I may have diagnosed my problem for anyone with similar symptoms.

Looking at the steering rack it looks as if the boot covering the passenger side of inner tie rod has slip down some. Now this suggests either it's been replaced previously and was put back on in correctly or it's been stretched out to far and slipped down abit.

I've attached two photos the one boot drivers side is nice and snug against the rack the other, I rubbed with a finger and it's shiny silver where the boot should cover. 

I'm going to replace in the inner and outer tie rods today and see if this cures my problem, hoping the rack isn't damaged.

IMG_20200916_103740.jpg

IMG_20200916_103723.jpg

well today i stripped it out and tbh it all look good, but i replaced it anyway since I had gone to the bother. everything down there is now perfectly tight. 

still noise going on around there. I can only imagine it being something on the caliper carrier, bad break pads even though they are a few hundred miles old (noise was there before replacing them. but the pads that came off werent to worn either. 

I have noticed that on both sides there is a squeak from the pads, looked to be caused by the caliper running at a slight angle. so i'll give these a refurb next. but i dont think this will cure the noise.

its either damper related, steering rack or hydraulic engine mounts. as the noise isnt always present and at speed is not present. 

appears to come from passenger side foot area. the anti roll bar bushings have been done so its not them. sounds closer to the wheel. so damper is probably my next line of attack. they've done 84k miles anyway so could be shot,

my next thinking is the engine hydraulic mount im going to get it testing for vacuum before i replace the dampers.

Spring/ damper or perhaps the upper wishbone balljoint is knocking if you have replaced everything else. I think your engine mount is ok.

The top mount is a fairly solid thing on the F10 as there is no swivel bearing so I reckon it's unlikely to be the culprit. 

Get your self a proper set of yoke type spring compressors before attempting a strut/spring change after ruling out the upper wishbone to steering knuckle balljoint.

yeh i've replaced springs and dampers on several cars, i lowered my 106 gti. similar scenario over there just less bushes going on.

thanks for the advice i will that post now. 

most informative

no the car literally has zero problems 98% of the time. it's only noticeable on rough road surfaces at a low speed.

and you can do the same bump twice and not replicate the problem always.

also turning doesn't affect it, road surface and speed do.

either when travelling at speed other noises cover it or its not present.

on my days off next week i will investigate further

just to update everyone the clunking noise was from the damper. replaced the passenger side today its cured the problem. now to swap the other side over so i have a matching pair