Adrian1662

RIDEX parts twice as cheap - any Good?

It is a legit German company (https://uk.ridex.eu/) selling on AutoDoc (https://www.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search?keyword=water+pump) on Online Car parts https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ - prices are ridiculously cheap - starting twice than next one in line. They make a lot of parts.

Quality reviews are ok (siff through those negs for no delivery)

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/ridex.eu

I order cabin filters which were ok did not differ from other brands but price £3 for 4 of them. 

Anyone had tested these? 

image.thumb.png.719db1a8dd6f470ff1e06e1416e50003.png

Which E39/engine (if you amend your profile; it'll show here & stops folk asking) ;) 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re the brand, never heard of them. I personally stick with MEyle, Lemforder, Febi Bilstein and Moog; OEM BMW where necessary also.

Plus for me, Autodoc aren't great currently, too many issues; parts sent that aren't the same as ordered and a ballache to deal with/get refunds etc

I stick with C3BMW and BMWmotormec

8 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Which E39/engine (if you amend your profile; it'll show here & stops folk asking) ;) 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re the brand, never heard of them. I personally stick with MEyle, Lemforder, Febi Bilstein and Moog; OEM BMW where necessary also.

Plus for me, Autodoc aren't great currently, too many issues; parts sent that aren't the same as ordered and a ballache to deal with/get refunds etc

Done re profile changes!

Ohh I ordered FAG wheel bearing from AD and came fast, the price was super and was the perfect fit so can't say a bad word. Just tempted with that RIDEX brand with parts costing next to nothing... Re Febi Bilstein it is twice as cheap as Brembo for Discs and Pads so will go for it. FB seems to be the go-to part with garages anyway. 

1 minute ago, Adrian1662 said:

Done re profile changes!

Ohh I ordered FAG wheel bearing from AD and came fast, the price was super and was the perfect fit so can't say a bad word. Just tempted with that RIDEX brand with parts costing next to nothing... Re Febi Bilstein it is twice as cheap as Brembo for Discs and Pads so will go for it. FB seems to be the go-to part with garages anyway. 

Yeah , for bearings FAG are the go to ones as they’re OEM. 

It’s just personal experience with Autodoc that makes me refuse to use them again. 

Febi bilstein is actually a bit gray area these days. A lot of parts they don't produce themselves, they just put in their packing and resell. So sometimes you get good stuff, but it can be crap as well. 

About ridex, never heard of that actual brand, but when browsing through parts on autodock, there's a lot of brands, I never heard of, especially for suspension parts. It's hard what to suggest sometimes. I have seen failed FAG and SKF bearings after short time, and I have seen cheap unknown brand bearing running over 50k miles without problems. Defective parts do exist with all manufacturers, it's just more likely to get good quality products from known manufacturers.

For unknown brands sometimes you get lucky and find some information on other forums while trying to Google some information. 

Just to add on Febi-Bilstein  - i have used these on my touring and have had no issues (fitted probably 4 years now) but i'm not convinced on their accuracy.

Renewed rear arms etc and i now have a situation where the rear camber is on the cusp of too much camber with no adjustment left. - it's as if the lower arm is too long or upper too short and the eccentric can't pull the wheel in enough.

It could be something else but the car isn't bent, tyres wear ok and its equal on both sides so is my only logical conclusion.

15 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Febi bilstein is actually a bit gray area these days. A lot of parts they don't produce themselves, they just put in their packing and resell. So sometimes you get good stuff, but it can be crap as well. 

About ridex, never heard of that actual brand, but when browsing through parts on autodock, there's a lot of brands, I never heard of, especially for suspension parts. It's hard what to suggest sometimes. I have seen failed FAG and SKF bearings after short time, and I have seen cheap unknown brand bearing running over 50k miles without problems. Defective parts do exist with all manufacturers, it's just more likely to get good quality products from known manufacturers.

For unknown brands sometimes you get lucky and find some information on other forums while trying to Google some information. 

Agree to this

I found some opinions on the German forum (https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/erfahrungen-mit-ridex-bremsen-t6137745.html) the things is that opinion is 3 years old and the company could have improved...

To call this up again if someone is interested:

I replaced the complete front brake system from Ridex on my Audi a4 b6 six months ago. At the beginning it squeaked extremely, as if you were approaching with a train. After about 1-2 months it squeaked very quietly, but audibly. After about 3 months the squeak was gone completely. Regarding the braking performance, I can say that it is OK, definitely not bad, but does not come close to the original product. Would rate the performance as a solid 6/10. For this I paid a total of € 75 for the entire system (discs + pads) at the front, plus € 50 for installation

General rule of thumb, if you're not sure, don't. Save a bit longer and get something you trust. If you have to replace them again you'll only have to pay for all the labour twice. 

Cross refence the part number and search for the part number rather than any ref to bmw. You can often find the good bits at good prices. 

*edit*Re the above, I should caveat that with, it depends if you want to sell the car or not. Cheap parts like this are usually for people who have no long term interest in the vehicle. Think cheap eurocarparts pieces the dealers chuck on cars to get them through mots etc.. 

However, everyone has different budgets and I respect that. People shouldn't think any less of any else because of the parts they use. If you keep your car on the road at a budget that suits you then good on you, just take care. 

Edited by PL523i

11 hours ago, PL523i said:

General rule of thumb, if you're not sure, don't. Save a bit longer and get something you trust. If you have to replace them again you'll only have to pay for all the labour twice. 

Cross refence the part number and search for the part number rather than any ref to bmw. You can often find the good bits at good prices. 

*edit*Re the above, I should caveat that with, it depends if you want to sell the car or not. Cheap parts like this are usually for people who have no long term interest in the vehicle. Think cheap eurocarparts pieces the dealers chuck on cars to get them through mots etc.. 

However, everyone has different budgets and I respect that. People shouldn't think any less of any else because of the parts they use. If you keep your car on the road at a budget that suits you then good on you, just take care. 

Make sense and agree with the above but times are constantly changing so wonder if that new brand is something good. You know every brand started somewhere although price below expectation may not be the best start :)

On 9/11/2020 at 2:30 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Brembo disc and pad set tends to be cheaper or similar to Meyle at £30 per one. I’m overwhelmed with number of manufacturers here: A.B.S, TRW, Meyle, Brembo, Japanparts, Ferodo, Bosh,  ATE, STARK and there’s Febi for £20. What’s best here?

also some have the description as “coated” and or “vented” or “internally vented” some have “high-carbon”. Anyone knows the difference?

ATE, Jurid, Textar, Mintex or the likes of Mtec brakes are my go to’s. EBC for pads (just not Greenstuff), ATE or again, Mtec Brakes own pads are quite good IMO albeit a bit dusty

Wouldnt touch the rest personally. Brembo discs are ok, their pads are generally crap though

28 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

ATE, Jurid, Textar, Mintex or the likes of Mtec brakes are my go to’s. EBC for pads (just not Greenstuff), ATE or again, Mtec Brakes own pads are quite good IMO albeit a bit dusty

Wouldnt touch the rest personally. Brembo discs are ok, their pads are generally crap though

Thanks, will decide on ATE I think. Any idea if the PowerDiscs with groves despite their advantages wear off pads quicker because of the groves?

30 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Thanks, will decide on ATE I think. Any idea if the PowerDiscs with groves despite their advantages wear off pads quicker because of the groves?

They’re decent discs, go for the ATE ceramic pads too

However, I’d also recommend the Mtec C Hook discs with EBC Yellowstuff pads, superb brake set up, which I’ve had on previous E39s and an E65 730D. Got their grooved discs this time around.

The pads will wear slightly quicker, but not that you’d notice. The discs aren’t cheese grater like if that makes sense. The grooves aid in keeping the pad face clear of glazing/pad deposits etc

20 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

They’re decent discs, go for the ATE ceramic pads too

However, I’d also recommend the Mtec C Hook discs with EBC Yellowstuff pads, superb brake set up, which I’ve had on previous E39s and an E65 730D. Got their grooved discs this time around.

The pads will wear slightly quicker, but not that you’d notice. The discs aren’t cheese grater like if that makes sense. The grooves aid in keeping the pad face clear of glazing/pad deposits etc

Thanks. Ordered a full set of ATE for half the price in AUTODOC £70 for 2x PowerDiscs and £40 for 4 ATE ceramic pads. They have chat line and are very responsive, changed the order in flight. Fingers crossed for the package. 

I noticed on eBay I can pick up bolts and caps for the callipers but not sure if these wear over time?

2 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Thanks. Ordered a full set of ATE for half the price in AUTODOC £70 for 2x PowerDiscs and £40 for 4 ATE ceramic pads. They have chat line and are very responsive, changed the order in flight. Fingers crossed for the package. 

I noticed on eBay I can pick up bolts and caps for the callipers but not sure if these wear over time?

Are you sure they are the right size discs and pads for your 540i (ie did you cross ref part numbers with RealOEM etc)?

Autodoc; hopefully you'll have a oood experience with them and they send you the right parts; personally I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire; had countless issues with them and rectifying it and getting a refund is even more painful!

Re 'bolts and caps'; what do you mean sorry?

28 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Are you sure they are the right size discs and pads for your 540i (ie did you cross ref part numbers with RealOEM etc)?

Autodoc; hopefully you'll have a oood experience with them and they send you the right parts; personally I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire; had countless issues with them and rectifying it and getting a refund is even more painful!

Re 'bolts and caps'; what do you mean sorry?

Ha didn’t check but their auto matched on website says it will match. Last time i ordered fag wheel bearing and was a perfect fit. What is there not to match? :)

calliper pin slider - what I meant 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261961275449 

015E3A2D-7E1C-4562-9E93-6BA5ED3BF194.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Ha didn’t check but their auto matched on website says it will match. Last time i ordered fag wheel bearing and was a perfect fit. What is there not to match? :)

calliper pin slider - what I meant 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261961275449 

015E3A2D-7E1C-4562-9E93-6BA5ED3BF194.jpeg

Rear brakes are mostly the same on all models, only some early 520 models had non vented rear discs, but other than that all E39 have 298mm vented brakes on back. Front ones need attention when buying, because there are two different sizes.

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

Rear brakes are mostly the same on all models, only some early 520 models had non vented rear discs, but other than that all E39 have 298mm vented brakes on back. Front ones need attention when buying, because there are two different sizes.

Thanks

ive asked them to check all My parts with vin and they did quite quickly. I ordered ate brake shoes, sensors and back gas springs for the bonnet too. So far so good 

62A578E3-7323-4AC3-B8B4-8E6029EBBC3B.png