LukeG88

High Miler F11... risky purchase?

Seen this F11 is still available on eBay. New engine put in at 200k miles with a turbo. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333569587682

Leeds is a trek for me. So would need to do a phone call... what sort of questions should I ask on this apart from service history and oil changes. The mot history was decent. Think the last one did say it had some damage to the windscreen which needs replacing and an issue with the suspension arm ball joints. 

is this car too risky at that price? I have been leaning toward the e61, but keep seeing these high milers getting closer to my budget. 

26 minutes ago, LukeG88 said:

Seen this F11 is still available on eBay. New engine put in at 200k miles with a turbo. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333569587682

Leeds is a trek for me. So would need to do a phone call... what sort of questions should I ask on this apart from service history and oil changes. The mot history was decent. Think the last one did say it had some damage to the windscreen which needs replacing and an issue with the suspension arm ball joints. 

is this car too risky at that price? I have been leaning toward the e61, but keep seeing these high milers getting closer to my budget. 

So the doner engine only had 6k on it ? 

They didn't really say why it was replaced. But if it's a dealer type place I'm sure they will give you some warranty. The price is affordable for the car. I suppose at that mileage it would be best to ask what else has been changed or suspension parts, etc. 

Gearbox as well. If it hasn't had regular oil changes I guess that would be the next thing to  go

A reply from them,

its been replaced with a new engine which had covered only 6000 miles , the reason the engine was replaced was due to turbo blowing up and causing engine failure at 204000, the engine was replaced along with a brand new turbo and gearbox oil service at the same time and has since covered 35000 miles without any problems and will continue to do so for a long time, any thing further please do not hesitate to get in touch.

20 minutes ago, LukeG88 said:

A reply from them,

its been replaced with a new engine which had covered only 6000 miles , the reason the engine was replaced was due to turbo blowing up and causing engine failure at 204000, the engine was replaced along with a brand new turbo and gearbox oil service at the same time and has since covered 35000 miles without any problems and will continue to do so for a long time, any thing further please do not hesitate to get in touch.

If they can prove it all with the paperwork and you can call the garage who did the repair and see their reviews online etc. Then it is a serious contender. I would still keep changing gearbox oil every 40k and try to do oil changes at least at  7-10k. 

10 hours ago, sams255 said:

If they can prove it all with the paperwork and you can call the garage who did the repair and see their reviews online etc. Then it is a serious contender. I would still keep changing gearbox oil every 40k and try to do oil changes at least at  7-10k. 

I'll drop them a message. Some of the reviews for the dealer are mixed though.

Looking at the front bumper to bonnet gap, seems to be a repair job that doesn't look quite up to standard, maybe angle of photo but shut line doesn't look right. Refer to photo 7

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk

The engine’s important of course but it’s not always the part of the car that gives most problems. I’d have thought that £6k for a 9 year old 5er knocking on quarter of a million miles was quite a gamble and a potential money pit unless the OP is a decent home mechanic. I’d be thinking about a good check over by an experienced BMW mechanic at the least, but I wouldn’t buy it whatever.

2 hours ago, percha said:

Looking at the front bumper to bonnet gap, seems to be a repair job that doesn't look quite up to standard, maybe angle of photo but shut line doesn't look right. Refer to photo 7

Yeah, I see what you mean with it, in the centre of the bonnet?

2 hours ago, Boba said:

The engine’s important of course but it’s not always the part of the car that gives most problems. I’d have thought that £6k for a 9 year old 5er knocking on quarter of a million miles was quite a gamble and a potential money pit unless the OP is a decent home mechanic. I’d be thinking about a good check over by an experienced BMW mechanic at the least, but I wouldn’t buy it whatever.

I am not a decent home mechanic...far from it. I got a mechanic friend, who likes his BMW's. But he does prefer work on older ones.

2 hours ago, percha said:

I thought the same when I got my current F11 as the gap was massive and not quite even but it's never been repaired. The plastic "bolts" that hold the top of the bumper in place allow for a fair bit of movement and given the engine's been replaced it's obviously been removed at least once. I've undone that part several times just changing the front grille - achieving the desired gap is child's play.

Also it may just have been leaned on. That bonnet never shuts first time if you're too soft with it.

8 hours ago, percha said:

Seems something misaligned with the bonnet and NSF wing at the front corner also .... but otherwise bodywork looks great for the mileage ....

i love my F10, but i think id rather be in a high spec late model 61 than a low spec leggy 11 for the same money. 

That said, Id probably take a punt on it :lol:

I noticed it's missing a comfort switch too.

Think I'll probably go with a E61. Knowing my luck, that F11 will be money pit for me! haha 

thanks for the replies!

I bought a 2011 525d f10 msport 3.0d 7 months ago its been fantastic 150k great spec £6300 just about to hit 160k.

11 hours ago, marko530d said:

The n57 engine is a reliable lump when cared for .

IMHO people worry far too much about engines.

Certainly there are one or two weak spots thar have come to light - timing chains, EGR ... but if you ask around I think you’ll find that most people’s outgoings aren’t to do with the engine or bodywork, it’s running gear, brakes and electrics that burn money after a bit.