Sign in to follow this  
paperjams

Bought another e39- again

So I had the opportunity to buy a 528 touring with over heating issues very cheap... turns out, the car got hot and was shut down - it then wouldn't restart with suspected low compression. I got the car trailered to my house and started work. It turns out there was no fuel at all. I popped a new radiator and water pump in to see If it was worth saving and it is as sweet as anything, really smooth and powerful. Anyway...

IMG-8012.jpg

IMG-7973.jpg

IMG-7961.jpg

Edited by paperjams

That looks lovely; gorgeous colour 8) 

So, it's all ok now then, running as sweet as it should?

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

That looks lovely; gorgeous colour 8) 

So, it's all ok now then, running as sweet as it should?

its done several trips now - its got a wheel speed sensor fault and cam sensor too. No overheating or running issues. The rocker gasket is pissing out oil but that's a nice easy fix. One saved from the scrap yard I think

Edited by paperjams

26 minutes ago, paperjams said:

its done several trips now - its got a wheel speed sensor fault and cam sensor too. No overheating or running issues. The rocker gasket is pissing out oil but that's a nice easy fix. One saved from the scrap yard I think

Absolutely; that's far too good an example for the scrappers!

Sensors are easy enough to sort; as is the gasket leaks etc. Common issues for everyday E39s ;) 

Drive it, enjoy it... Bet it's uber-smooth on those Turbines 8) 

4 minutes ago, TerryTibbs said:

Looks like it been cherished by someone is it original paint? 

There’s a little bit of lacquer peel on 2 panels and a little bubbling on the arches but nothing around the jacking points. It was a very cheap car that needs a little tidying up so I’m not too fussed. I just can’t stand these cars being scrapped!

1 hour ago, paperjams said:

Just standard SE with leather, intensive screen wash, auto wipers... it did have a sport wheel but I robbed it for my 523

https://i.postimg.cc/KjXjfGdw/IMG-7868.jpg

I think the SE's suit the bus wheel the best ;) 

My E38 728i had the full sized wheel and I preferred that TBH; the Sport's wheel is nice, but due to my height, it blocks the view of the speedo for me :roll: 

8 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I think the SE's suit the bus wheel the best ;) 

My E38 728i had the full sized wheel and I preferred that TBH; the Sport's wheel is nice, but due to my height, it blocks the view of the speedo for me :roll: 

I like how the SE wheel makes it feel like a classic BMW to drive but I like the sport wheel with the manual gearbox in the 523. Im giving the touring to a friend to replace his Volvo, I don't have space to keep it sadly (I do have 2 E39's already)

Hi PJ,

Hope you and yours are all well!

Welcome to the Touring club! and ..  seems like it was fleeting and you've left the Touring club !

There are quite a lot of well kept, standard cars around and that does include E39's. The colour makes this one and seems the rest of it is a good car too if you purchased it ! Plenty of people would talk down the 2.8i engine, but I think it's plenty powerful and more than adequate for driving duties. For a very close family friend, I remember test driving a dealer demo 528i in late 1996 and thought it was fantastic ! so the deal was done on the spot! the car is still with the family today !

Will catch you and the gang up soon !

Cheers, Dennis!

2 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi PJ,

Hope you and yours are all well!

Welcome to the Touring club! and ..  seems like it was fleeting and you've left the Touring club !

There are quite a lot of well kept, standard cars around and that does include E39's. The colour makes this one and seems the rest of it is a good car too if you purchased it ! Plenty of people would talk down the 2.8i engine, but I think it's plenty powerful and more than adequate for driving duties. For a very close family friend, I remember test driving a dealer demo 528i in late 1996 and thought it was fantastic ! so the deal was done on the spot! the car is still with the family today !

Will catch you and the gang up soon !

Cheers, Dennis!

I have my F11 so I'm still in the club! I had a 530 manual sport tourer a few years ago but just couldn't gel with it - it never really felt quite right. I still have my old 530i (purchased back in 2009) and it is hopefully going to be supercharged very soon. It has done about 15 track days now and such a great car.

I hope your friend is suitably appreciative for this gift. It looks splendid. Great colour.

Heres the 530 at brands last month with a good friends evo

DSC3857.jpg

DSC3842.jpg

and a shot of the red touring interior

IMG-7868.jpg

Knew I recognised that reg when I've been reading through and following the Evo's thread over on PH ;) 

I like how the SE wheel makes it feel like a classic BMW to drive but I like the sport wheel with the manual gearbox in the 523. Im giving the touring to a friend to replace his Volvo, I don't have space to keep it sadly (I do have 2 E39's already)

At least your friend will be able to go around mini roundabouts without struggle. I drove Volvo S60 and S80 for few times. Jesus, that car is ridiculous what you need to turn in narrow places compared to similar size cars. Definitely don't suit UK roads in my opinion.

Plus one on the EVO as I too read the thread on PH at the beginning of the week.  
Lovely Touring that, I wish my paintwork looked that good and amazing what can be picked up if you're mechanically half competent. (No disrespect of course).