Superpilot

Second A/C leak in 18 months

About 18 months ago, system couldn't retain gas for more than a few months, after lots of troubleshooting they finally found the leak and replaced the radiator. Fast forward till now, was going well, gas ran out so topped up. Lasted 2 weeks.  Not again??? During that time, I've put on less than 8k miles. Has anyone else faced this dilemma of the reoccurring A/C gas leak? Of course I need to get it diagnosed properly but seems to be the most unreliable aspect of my car the 5 years I've had it. Wife's 9 yo corsa has only ever had one top up in its life.

1 hour ago, Superpilot said:

About 18 months ago, system couldn't retain gas for more than a few months, after lots of troubleshooting they finally found the leak and replaced the radiator. Fast forward till now, was going well, gas ran out so topped up. Lasted 2 weeks.  Not again??? During that time, I've put on less than 8k miles. Has anyone else faced this dilemma of the reoccurring A/C gas leak? Of course I need to get it diagnosed properly but seems to be the most unreliable aspect of my car the 5 years I've had it. Wife's 9 yo corsa has only ever had one top up in its life.

I’ve been doing the same for 2 years. No one can find a leak and I have to regard every 6 months. Pisses me off. 

A leak that empties the system in 6 months is absolutely tiny. I knew where the damage was on my condenser but other than the loss of gas the evidence of the leak was minuscule.

Mine stopped working about a year ago I think. I re-gassed it but it didn't last for long, maybe a couple of weeks. I simply haven't bothered to fix it, I do without it. But I do less than 1,000 miles a year now so that isn't as big a deal for me as it might be for some. The car is also so old it isn't really worth spending the money on. I make sure it is safe (last MOT no advisories) and service it every year, but not much more.

I don;t know what the e60 is like but without AC the ventilation in the e39 is rubbish - really difficult to get a nice flow of air.