PL523i

Defeated by Rear Brake shoes

iv'e never sworn so much at car parts as the rear brake shoes on my new 523i.

Considering the state of the rear brakes, I don think theyve been changed in about 10 years, everything came off relatively easily and no broken knuckles. 

But can I get the new brake shoes and spring mechanism on? can i f**k! Gave up after an hour ...you need muscles like THOR and 3 hands. 

Unless anyone has some incredible cheats for doing this im going to bow to my common sense and get a mobile mechanic to come round and do it.

Fiddly but not impossible. I assemble it all then i use long nose pliers to get the spring in place.

Perhaps you are using the wrong swear words? have you tried compounding them? ;)

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Perhaps you are using the wrong swear words? have you tried compounding them? ;)

I've run out of swear words! Pretty sure I created some new ones. 

Re the pliers, I could do with some new ones I think mine are 40+ years old. Ex forces, Imperial pliers ;)

I've attached a pic of the 'before' situation. There's been no love shown there for a while. 

IMG_20200831_134036.jpg

I found them fiddly as well - the worst was when I finally got it together and thought “that looks wrong” so took it apart again... turns out it had been right... 

anyway for reassembly I found this image which shows a suggested rebuild sequence which actually, whilst still fiddly, was quite useful. 

9A6D7691-5602-48AD-BE2B-9C2BC1CF08B1.jpeg

Yes I found one similar but it was with the bit at the top that the cable goes into that I was struggling with. That came off when I removed the old stuff. 

I've got a mobile mechanic coming round Tuesday to do both sides.  

However.. Delaying the inevitable. I spied 2 mot failures on the control arm bushes whilst I was there but I don't have the £££ to get it all done at same time. 

Starring to wonder if I chose the right project car. 

IMG_20200906_093053.jpg

IMG_20200906_093035.jpg

6 hours ago, TerryTibbs said:

One of these makes it an easy job 

D2C5A545-BB3F-42F6-BC1C-8339861529EA.jpeg

Yeah I didn't have a pick, I used a small spring puller but still didn't work, it all just fell apart lol. So I used a mobile mechanic and £35 for both sides. Sometimes the easiest solution is to through a bit of money at it and move on.