cornershop

End tuning M50 chip

Wondering if anyone is running the above chip in their M50 engined cars?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Also, can you stick with 95 Ron or do you need 97-99 to get the full benefit.

For an auto if that makes any difference

Cheers chaps

On the off chance whilst visiting my mum in Wolves, I managed to agree a visit to see Enda in Birmingham for one of his chips last night.

Enda explained the benefits of the chip, especially for the pre vanos M50 which has to cater for 91 Ron fuel as it has no knock sensors. 
Standard rev limit.

95 Ron with 97 potentially required if ‘pressing on’ in hot weather. I’m running Esso 97 anyway, mainly for its lack of ethanol and detergent levels.

New chip burned, old one supplied if I decide to revert to standard.

Car felt great one the way home - as Enda advised, everything just felt that bit crisper than before and you can definitely feel improvements in part throttle responses.  Foot down from 70mph and the shove is more immediate, with less lag.

MPG was marginally better at 0.5-1 mpg improvement according to OBD for a 1.5 hour journey at 70-75 mph on the speedo

So far, I’d consider it a no-brainer for £60 fitted. Will report back after more local miles.

Good to know. I will try to pop in one day once my conversation is completed. 

I still use the cheapest supermarket fuel I can find, so to be clear you (and another members?) use one specific kind of fuel for both performance and engine health benefits? 

I have heard people talk about Shell V-Power but never Esso 97. Always thought for the cost I would not notice, but perhaps I am wrong. Guessing once chipped it matters more?

Edited by Kit

1 hour ago, Kit said:

Good to know. I will try to pop in one day once my conversation is completed. 

I still use the cheapest supermarket fuel I can find, so to be clear you (and another members?) use one specific kind of fuel for both performance and engine health benefits? 

I have heard people talk about Shell V-Power but never Esso 97. Always thought for the cost I would not notice, but perhaps I am wrong. Guessing once chipped it matters more?

I don’t know what others are using, id just rather avoid any ethanol related issues but admittedly the fuel lines are probably due replacement anyway. Some of my engine bay hoses will be replaced shortly so kinda makes sense to me.

I don’t think you need 97/99 Ron - Esso 97 is the only one I know of where the vendor states it doesn’t use Ethanol. Even though it states E5 on the pump:

“The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland).
We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

The European standard BS EN228 covers the requirements for 0-5% ethanol unleaded petrol, the labelling requirement for zero % ethanol is E5 (as is up to 5%), a E0 label doesn’t exist. We understand that this is confusing if you are looking for zero % ethanol fuel, but as advised we can confirm that our Supreme Unleaded fuel supplied in areas except those listed (Devon, Cornwall, Teeside & Scotland) is ethanol free.

Our Synergy Fuels:

• Diesel
  • Supreme+ Diesel
  • Unleaded
  • Supreme+ Unleaded”

My other car is a V12 and it seems quite sensitive to fuel quality.  I noticed myself how sometimes VPower gave inconsistent results - sometimes felt really sluggish, having been fine in the previous full-up.  It always fine on Esso 97 and being a V12 you get to test a lot of fuel <_<

Bit of waffle in the video below, so start from 3:30 

On 07/10/2020 at 10:26, cornershop said:

On the off chance whilst visiting my mum in Wolves, I managed to agree a visit to see Enda in Birmingham for one of his chips last night.

Enda explained the benefits of the chip, especially for the pre vanos M50 which has to cater for 91 Ron fuel as it has no knock sensors. 
Standard rev limit.

95 Ron with 97 potentially required if ‘pressing on’ in hot weather. I’m running Esso 97 anyway, mainly for its lack of ethanol and detergent levels.

New chip burned, old one supplied if I decide to revert to standard.

Car felt great one the way home - as Enda advised, everything just felt that bit crisper than before and you can definitely feel improvements in part throttle responses.  Foot down from 70mph and the shove is more immediate, with less lag.

MPG was marginally better at 0.5-1 mpg improvement according to OBD for a 1.5 hour journey at 70-75 mph on the speedo

So far, I’d consider it a no-brainer for £60 fitted. Will report back after more local miles.

Now the M50B25tu is installed I’m interested to hear how you are getting on with the chip, does it rev more freely? For £60 it seeks like a no brainier if it doesn’t effect reliability. 

Today I filled up with Esso’s new 99 Ron fuel, having a chip that would make the most of it would make sense.

Thanks

Kit

Edited by Kit

3 hours ago, Kit said:

Now the M50B25tu is installed I’m interested to hear how you are getting on with the chip, does it rev more freely? For £60 it seeks like a no brainier if it doesn’t effect reliability. 

Today I filled up with Esso’s new 99 Ron fuel, having a chip that would make the most of it would make sense.

Thanks

Kit

Hello

No downsides to report.  Everything as before but with some extra shove and urgency through the range. 

Im using Esso 99 too, but purely for the lack of ethanol content.  I’m sure Enda can  tweak timing a touch, if you think you’ll always be using SUL.

2 hours ago, cornershop said:

Hello

No downsides to report.  Everything as before but with some extra shove and urgency through the range. 

Im using Esso 99 too, but purely for the lack of ethanol content.  I’m sure Enda can  tweak timing a touch, if you think you’ll always be using SUL.

Good to know. Will try and pop in early next year. How long did it take to do? A while you wait job I’m guessing?