Sign in to follow this  
Steve P

530i to a 525i ?

https://www.seymourpope.com/used-vehicle-details/BMW-5-Series-U380/

Seriously thinking about going for this... looks a very nice car (apart from the colour wouldn't be my first choice - sorry Dan!!) with low miles and a sensible price, but... 

coming from a 530i would a 525i feel sluggish/underpowered however you describe it?

Who's downsized then?

10 hours ago, Steve P said:

https://www.seymourpope.com/used-vehicle-details/BMW-5-Series-U380/

Seriously thinking about going for this... looks a very nice car (apart from the colour wouldn't be my first choice - sorry Dan!!) with low miles and a sensible price, but... 

coming from a 530i would a 525i feel sluggish/underpowered however you describe it?

Who's downsized then?

How dare you :mrgreen:;)

I've been out in 525i and obviously owned x3 530i E39s and neither feel sluggish and are perfectly adequate for every day driving. The 525i will overtake other cars with zero issues and soon gets up to speed :) 

Like you; spec, overall condition and quality are paramount, so that's what I'd go for before worrying about slightly smaller engine power etc

It looks a stunning car inside and out and if I didn't have my touring and was looking for one, that'd be right at the top of my list!

That car looks as good as mine was in condition and mileage when I bought it ten years ago.

I've been putting money into my car over recent years similar in original spec and colour to  Dan's but originak uk and kept outside most of its life. I've looked at these imports from time to time and saw this one.  Main reason for wondering about a low mileage immaculate import car like this is the mileage of my uk car and challenge of keeping on top of body work and rust of an old uk car.  It can be done but it costs.

I think Dan was very lucky to find a 3 litre jap import.  

Unless a car is bright purple or something colour would be low on my list of things  to get right on an 18 year old car.  There are only about 170 of these left in the UK.

Even if one bought that car I suspect a little spending ahead might be needed or be a good idea.

Aged rubber parts mainly.  Non mileage dependent plastic cooling system parts.

Much better than welding on a rusty uk car.

Depends what has already been done

Great car though.

1 minute ago, Dbcrd said:

That car looks as good as mine was in condition and mileage when I bought it ten years ago.

I've been putting money into my car over recent years similar in original spec and colour to  Dan's but originak uk and kept outside most of its life. I've looked at these imports from time to time and saw this one.  Main reason for wondering about a low mileage immaculate import car like this is the mileage of my uk car and challenge of keeping on top of body work and rust of an old uk car.  It can be done but it costs.

I think Dan was very lucky to find a 3 litre jap import.  

Unless a car is bright purple or something colour would be low on my list of things  to get right on an 18 year old car.  There are only about 170 of these left in the UK.

Even if one bought that car I suspect a little spending ahead might be needed or be a good idea.

Aged rubber parts mainly.  Non mileage dependent plastic cooling system parts.

Much better than welding on a rusty uk car.

Depends what has already been done

Great car though.

If you look at my project; that's exactly what I did as soon as I bought it.

Even though it'd been in the UK 6 months and somehow got an MOT with headlights that faced the floor (fubar adjusters etc); I replaced the whole cooling system bar the rad (had been replaced in the last 14 months) and all of the suspension etc... It was very much preventative maintenance, some necessary; but I knew that would be the right way to keep the car as healthy and immaculate as it should be.

You'll always pay a premium for a Jap import; but the other work is down to the owner etc; not all are as OCD as me :lol: 

Nothing OCD about a complete cooling system rebuild in my view.  I did it as have many others.  The impact of overheating on sudden loss of coolant on an all alloy M54 engine can be a big deal.

Can't disagree with any of that chaps and I totally get the comments on condition over colour.

I have an empty garage and money burning a hole in my pocket,  but this is to be my 'retirement' car so I want to get one that I'll be 100% happy with, hence the temptation to hang on for a preferred colour and hopefully a 3.0i, rather than rush and buy something very nice that almost but not quite fits the bill.  I'll be quite happy to do the essential maintenance (and a degree of OCD lol) whatever I get.

27 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Can't disagree with any of that chaps and I totally get the comments on condition over colour.

I have an empty garage and money burning a hole in my pocket,  but this is to be my 'retirement' car so I want to get one that I'll be 100% happy with, hence the temptation to hang on for a preferred colour and hopefully a 3.0i, rather than rush and buy something very nice that almost but not quite fits the bill.  I'll be quite happy to do the essential maintenance (and a degree of OCD lol) whatever I get.

IMO they’re not often up for sale & that one, in that condition & spec would be very hard to beat IMO

Sometimes it’s worth striking whilst the irons hot, as they say... 

Another similar to that will come up, but it’ll be a waiting game...

You could always make a silly offer for mine ;) :lol: 

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

IMO they’re not often up for sale & that one, in that condition & spec would be very hard to beat IMO

Sometimes it’s worth striking whilst the irons hot, as they say... 

Another similar to that will come up, but it’ll be a waiting game...

You could always make a silly offer for mine ;) :lol: 

I've been watching these type of ads for a year or two; on and off so might have missed something.  I don't recall having seen a 3.0 touring maybe 1.  A few maybe 3 or 4 2.5s maybe a few more.  They always seem to be dealers either seymour pope hexagon or old colonel or similar.

I do have to admit that the 3.0 is the absolute peach.  Biggest straight 6 basically.  So silky engine and rack and pinion steering. So that was at the back of my mind.  Even though logic says you won't get one and the 2.5 is just as good.

If you are completely set on a 3.0 sport touring there is the possibility of bringing one in from Japan.  I looked at that.  There are a few agencies and websites  and I did see one or two tourings.  Even in Japan numbers dwindling. 

Plus you would really need to do some homework going down that route re. Add-on costs and other things.

Much of this was before I started committing to decent money fixing my car cosmetically and I've basically only just started.