Sign in to follow this  
TerryTibbs

E39 aftermarket head unit/ s’wheel controls

Hi Terry,

Since the mid 90's, steering wheel control adapter interfaces have been available from all the head unit manufacturer brands. If you look at the websites of all the established/reputable brands and the accessories section, you'll see them listed. The aftermarket also has brands like Connects2 and PAC, Paser that also make interfaces too. 

What would your audio upgrade & head unit ideally be ?!

Cheers, Dennis!

21 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Terry,

Since the mid 90's, steering wheel control adapter interfaces have been available from all the head unit manufacturer brands. If you look at the websites of all the established/reputable brands and the accessories section, you'll see them listed. The aftermarket also has brands like Connects2 and PAC, Paser that also make interfaces too. 

What would your audio upgrade & head unit ideally be ?!

Cheers, Dennis!

I’m not sure tbh and still a bit reluctant to upgrade because I’m a bit of an audiophile and still listen to tapes :shock: but thanks for the heads up on the controls, good to know that !

Hi Terry,

Tapes you say ?!

TDK%20MAXG%202_zpsoehpvcfg.jpg

I still have these bad boys and a selection of other Metal and Chrome position cassettes and they really could/would perform very well indeed when using excellent separates!  Between me and a few friends, we'd buy hi-fi and share the decks - I do recall getting a Nakamichi CR-202, loved the way it did the Auto Reverse !   A Dragon was well out of reach though.. would have loved to have had one..

In terms of excellent Sound Quality in the car, it's possible to go to 'Audiophile' levels of performance and the results can be / are staggering. Plenty of owners do go to that level and in E39's too and I'd say that potential SQ with modern equipment and using FLAC (or high resolution encoded digital music files) files from excellent source formats/recordings can give better SQ/Sonic Performance than what yesteryear technology could provide. That's obviously open to interpretation of course as it'd also depend on the equipment used. Nowadays with the latest audio technology and products it's alot easier to get fantastic car audio SQ at mid to moderate pricing levels. 

No worries on the steering wheel interface info, you've no real concern if you need this functionality. 

Drop me a PM if you like about getting better SQ in the car and to make the move away from tapes in the car :)

Cheers, Dennis!

I should have said, I love vintage hifi and vinyl format, as for in car entertainment I’ve never owned an amp and the best car stereo I’ve owned was is a Sony d-bass n 10 disc changer, (still have it) ^_^

On 03/09/2020 at 20:34, DennisCooper said:

Hi Terry,

Tapes you say ?!

TDK%20MAXG%202_zpsoehpvcfg.jpg

I still have these bad boys and a selection of other Metal and Chrome position cassettes and they really could/would perform very well indeed when using excellent separates!  Between me and a few friends, we'd buy hi-fi and share the decks - I do recall getting a Nakamichi CR-202, loved the way it did the Auto Reverse !   A Dragon was well out of reach though.. would have loved to have had one..

In terms of excellent Sound Quality in the car, it's possible to go to 'Audiophile' levels of performance and the results can be / are staggering. Plenty of owners do go to that level and in E39's too and I'd say that potential SQ with modern equipment and using FLAC (or high resolution encoded digital music files) files from excellent source formats/recordings can give better SQ/Sonic Performance than what yesteryear technology could provide. That's obviously open to interpretation of course as it'd also depend on the equipment used. Nowadays with the latest audio technology and products it's alot easier to get fantastic car audio SQ at mid to moderate pricing levels. 

No worries on the steering wheel interface info, you've no real concern if you need this functionality. 

Drop me a PM if you like about getting better SQ in the car and to make the move away from tapes in the car :)

Cheers, Dennis!

I might take you up on that advice B)

Hi Terry,

Whenever you're ready, get in touch with what you're thinking you'd like and I'll help/advise on your requirements

There's some awesome vintage hi-fi out there for sure! I should have kept some of my decks/components .. the only thing I have left is a Technics SL-D2 turntable from 1981 ! I think I've got an Ortofon or Stanton cartridge on it !  I gave all my vinyl away to a good mate who's a DJ perhaps back in 1995'ish !   I'd gone to CD by then !

Cheers, Dennis!