Jimbo07g41

Good Oil Offer on

23 minutes ago, ss said:

that oil is cheap because of the production date of 2018 ,all oils have a shelf life

The shipment i got had a production date of 2019. I also called castrol technical who said to me if its sealed it will have a shelf life of 5 years if opened you have a year to use it. But of course even if you get oil from anywhere it isn't going to be straight out of the refinery.

1 hour ago, sams255 said:

The shipment i got had a production date of 2019. I also called castrol technical who said to me if its sealed it will have a shelf life of 5 years if opened you have a year to use it. But of course even if you get oil from anywhere it isn't going to be straight out of the refinery.

ok that's a good price then

1 hour ago, sams255 said:

a year to use it.

Really only a year. 

Seems short period for oil just because its been opened.

It would probably be fine long after the advised 'use by' period, it's just that the manufacturer isn't going to warranty it beyond that period. But seeing as we're all nice and sensible and change the oil every year regardless, it shouldn't really affect anyone.

You might get condensation forming in the containers if stored unsealed in a garage over the course of a few years. Last thing you want in your lubrcation system is water. Be alright for the lawnmower but perhaps not a six pot.:lol:

I need to do an oil change soon so I need to find some LL04 too.

My car started with 18000 miles til service its done around 8000 and says oil service in 3000 miles.

Its dropped faster then a netto bag.

I think it knows when its just been round the doors most of the time.

Edited by marko530d

^ Mine is currently saying 11,000 miles to go but I know it will rapidly decrease as the car will want an oil change next month as it was last recorded (idrive service reset) as having been done in October 2018.

But in actual fact it was changed last October by me barely 2,500 miles ago.

1 hour ago, gIzzE said:

Why did you not reset it at the time? 

I was doing an intermediate oil change after 1 year so happy to leave it. Idrive would not permit a reset as I'd only done 5,000 miles in 12months. Oil is good for ~19k miles and 24 months. Reset is only possible if remaining interval is 20% of maximum I think.

I will reset this time around.

Need to buy a sump drain pan first though.

Ah got 'ya. 

I tend to do mine every 6-8k miles, don't think I have had a problem with resetting, maybe I did it with software on the times there was loads left. 

I was doing an intermediate oil change after 1 year so happy to leave it. Idrive would not permit a reset as I'd only done 5,000 miles in 12months. Oil is good for ~19k miles and 24 months. Reset is only possible if remaining interval is 20% of maximum I think.

I will reset this time around.

Need to buy a sump drain pan first though.
Bought one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131686787176

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, percha said:

very proficient, I hadn't even thought to check it for leaks! Thanks for the tip, first oil change 10k into ownership for me next week!

Just to clarify, it was a Sealey one I bought from Amazon that leaked, not one like your recommendation. But I sent it back and got a full refund. 

That and a few other things has put me off Sealey tools.

I just didn’t want to mess my driveway again....