Calypso-E34

What are Alpina doing to their wheels??

With each generation, we seem to get less of a dish - now the spokes are proud of the rim!

does anyone also think this is a backward step, or am I just too set in my ways?  I think the most recent one is horrible - looks almost aftermarket. 

A8221071-E064-4D7A-A85F-CF6F5D3BEF8B.jpeg

72E75FBA-DC2F-4915-B54C-47A545C29EB1.jpeg

594F59A7-6F24-4964-8B02-47F9D713CC1E.jpeg

I imagine Mark it is that you are a curmudgeon ;)

But in reality I would assume they have to work with the offset of the model they are using?

Don't know if the ET of the 5 has increased over the years but 3's always had a higher ET than 5s and so less dish.

That said there is a A7 i see parked in our street with some nice wheels and the spokes are well proud of the tyre - makes me wince thinking about parking it!

Does remind me of aftermarket wheels, Team dynamics springs to mind. I would agree with duncan though, it seems to be the way of most modern cars to have a high offset with pretty much no dish. I've never really liked wheels that have a flat looking face, deep dish and concave look so much better IMO.

Just now, Keliuss said:

A quick browse shows:

G30 ET30

Keliuss

Would that be the same for the 4 wheel drive version though?

I remember back in the days of the E34, the ix version had a completely different offset  - more like the E36 iirc

The bottom pic is the wheel on the current G30 B5 Biturbo AWD. Acar which should be top of my lotto winning list. But I think the wheels ruin it.  No dish and too big. 

Looks like a souped up Mondeo on those wheels. 

EF898DE1-AE07-4855-ADC4-821758D1A709.jpeg

CE9B661B-6307-4048-8AB4-1156D53F8AB3.jpeg

Edited by Calypso-E34

15 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I remember back in the days of the E34, the ix version had a completely different offset  - more like the E36 iirc

The IX ran something like ET51? and shared a lot with the e30/e36 in terms of front axle.

When i had mine e36 alpina wheels where on my radar.

Totally agree Mark, I think the new wheels look horrendous and hope they have an alternative!!

Old Alpinas for the win ;)

E36 328i vert.jpg

11 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Correct. ET54 it seems, from bmwe34.net. Which means Wheel-size.com - E34 iX has it wrong at ET20

Keliuss

Hi,

Over the years, the design 'language' of modern cars has changed and nowadays things are much more 'snazzier' if thats the right word across all brands. The 'fun' aspect has been injected into what were previously just normal bread and butter cars - fords., citroens vauxhalls etc etc, and colours, bolder designs and accentuators on bodywork have all become more normal to see. The more prestige brands have also become similar in that regard but to a lesser 'extent' on the cars and Alpina are no exception as one area they have total control over design is their wheels and body styling. Deep lip wheels are a design classic for certain wheel manufacturers but lately, more flat face and shallower lip wheels have also become more popular. Alpina are simply catering to this design language in popularity. The aftermarket will always have wheels that can be configured if in 3 (or sometimes 2) piece format, or if 1 piece, deeper lip designs available. Most owners will want to stick to the Alpina design so there's only a relative few aftermarket 3 piece wheel brands that have designs that are quite close to Alpina's designs which could then be built up with custom offsets and lip widths as desired. 

It's the Alpina Classic C01's and the Classic C96 ones for me!

Alpina%2019%20inch%202%20to%203%20piece%
DSC03809.jpg

Cheers, Dennis!

The deep dish certainly looks the best.

And on the subject of modern OEM wheels, I really don't like the growing trend of these fancy diamond cut alloys which are generally flat faced and cost the earth to have refurbed when the lacquer lifts, which it will! 

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

The deep dish certainly looks the best.

And on the subject of modern OEM wheels, I really don't like the growing trend of these fancy diamond cut alloys which are generally flat faced and cost the earth to have refurbed when the lacquer lifts, which it will! 

Yup,  my Dads on his 2nd set in 3 years via BMW warranty.

Bloody useless. He’ll be getting the current set powder coated next as the cars just out of warranty now...

14 minutes ago, greenelekta said:

I like mine

water (3).jpg

Thanks for the picture! gives me a little more of a visual on how my set will look on my Touring ! :) Do you have any more pictures please? project thread etc?

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi,

Thanks GE!

For a long  while my Touring was running a similar ride height to yours and on the various sets of Hartge's I have. The LMB M5 above I reference is on Bilstein coilovers and he set his ride height to be just a tad lower than OEM M5 I believe. I'm now on KW coilovers and will be running 20/25mm lower. The Alpina's should look great with a more aggressive ride height reduction - fingers crossed!

Went to the 'Ring and a couple of fast laps and then back again in this example over a weekend in 2011 

IMGP4802.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bo

Cheers, Dennis!

On 01/09/2020 at 23:57, Calypso-E34 said:

The bottom pic is the wheel on the current G30 B5 Biturbo AWD. Acar which should be top of my lotto winning list. But I think the wheels ruin it.  No dish and too big. 

Looks like a souped up Mondeo on those wheels. 

EF898DE1-AE07-4855-ADC4-821758D1A709.jpeg

CE9B661B-6307-4048-8AB4-1156D53F8AB3.jpeg

What an awesome looking car.

The Alpinas not bad either..... :D