Sign in to follow this  
Skippy

G31 wheel sizes

Hi, I'm a new member. Just bought a G31 540xDrive Msport with adaptive suspension on 20 inch wheels. Surprisingly good ride but a little nervous about those thin sidewalls. Does anyone have both 20inch and 19 inch wheels and is there a difference in ride quality? Further, am thinking of buying 18inch 684 winter wheels and tyres. Once again is the ride very much better and is the non staggered all 245 winter setup noticeable from the staggered 245/275 20/19 setups? Great forum so far though did have dramas answering first words of sentences that were not there and Kaptcha pictures that would not work! Anyway here now, so wouls be grateful for your inputs.

Also will probably have 72,000 mile excellent e39 530i Msport touring coming up for sale, cannot be cheap at that mileage but any interest?

I have 19” staggered summers and 18” straight winters. I don’t really find much difference when I swap over and anyway I have Pirelli summers and Goodyear winters both RoF so really pretty hard to tell. I think the summers are a little bit noisier but again hard to tell and not much in it. No experience of 20”.

Can't directly answer your question on the 20 inch wheels as I only have the 19's staggered. With VDC I am more than satisfied with the ride comfort in comfort mode and sport modes. I would think the 20's with VDC in comfort would be similar, just a little more care required to avoid deep pot holes(as one also needs with 19's) 

I also have a set of the same staggered 19's with winter tyres and when I put them on, I can immediately feel a very slight change in the ride comfort that all but disappears after a few miles. Overall I would say there is insignificant difference in comfort between the 19's with summer or winter tyres. Different brands of tyre to what I have may have bigger differences. 

For sure an 18 inch winter set up will ride slightly better than the 19's and that much better again than 20's. I would not think there would be much difference between staggered and non staggered.  The VDC does  make a good job of improving the ride on the larger rims. 

Touch wood, 21,000 miles in and no bent rims or damaged tyres.

Just my 2 pence, maybe someone can chime in who has both 20's, 19's and 18's 

I've got 19" staggered for summer and 18" square for winter - both sets are RoF; tbh I cannot tell the difference between them ...............

I particularly went for 18" squares because they can be rotated to even out wear and are less expensive to replace.

15 minutes ago, Mr H said:

I particularly went for 18" squares because they can be rotated to even out wear and are less expensive to replace.

Ah yes, I did that!!

Then discovered that the Goodyear winters were directional! :oops:

but I can still swap back to front so not a major issue.

Hi Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your almost immediate replies, it seems the Forum is an excellent place to be. If anyone does have 20inch experience (so to speak) I would be grateful for further inputs.

I run a 530d on 20's, it rides reasonably well I think for having such skinny tyres. I did however have a loan car on 19's and the ride was noticeably softer. I should point out my car nor the loaner had VDC though. 90% of the time I do think the 20's are fine, but I do sometimes think when I hit a pot hole how long its going to be before either a tyre or an alloy gives.

6 hours ago, Skippy said:

Hi, I'm a new member. Just bought a G31 540xDrive Msport with adaptive suspension on 20 inch wheels. Surprisingly good ride but a little nervous about those thin sidewalls. Does anyone have both 20inch and 19 inch wheels and is there a difference in ride quality? Further, am thinking of buying 18inch 684 winter wheels and tyres. Once again is the ride very much better and is the non staggered all 245 winter setup noticeable from the staggered 245/275 20/19 setups? Great forum so far though did have dramas answering first words of sentences that were not there and Kaptcha pictures that would not work! Anyway here now, so wouls be grateful for your inputs.

Also will probably have 72,000 mile excellent e39 530i Msport touring coming up for sale, cannot be cheap at that mileage but any interest?

I have a G32 with Staggered 20" summers (275/35R20 + 245/40R20) and square 19" (245/45R19) Winters along with  2 axle air suspension which includes VDC. There is a slight difference in ride quality but with the adaptive dampers I hardly notice it.

You have /30 and /35 profile tyres on 20" rims as opposed to my /35 and /40 so slightly less sidewall but I'd hazard a guess that the adaptive suspension will do a good job hiding the difference if mine is anything to go by. 

I have had all three sizes. I am currently on 20s with Goodyear ROF and the ride is fine, much better than an F10 with 19s. Potholes are a worry and some make a noticeable thud but have never had any bulges or alloy problems. Ran a set of the same tyres on 19s for a while and there wasn't much difference at all. I have a set of 619 18s with Dunlop 3D ROF winter tyres and notice a difference but nothing major. The Dunlops are directional so just swap front to back. No problems with the winter setup and they have travelled to Eastern Europe several times to a region with heavy snow. At half the cost of 20 inch staggered winters I worked out I would save the cost of the winter alloys themselves with two sets of tyres, plus still have a resale value. I do not have VDC, which I imagine would mask any differences slightly better. 

Same as others I have staggered 19s with adaptive suspension and 18 standard winters. I really don’t notice any significant difference in ride but the 19s (Dunlop) are quieter.