740mick

Petrol or Diesel ?

Currently thinking about regretfully selling my e63 630i as its getting hardly any use,i,m away all week with work so its averaging 10miles a week,when we go anywhere at the weekend we take Donnas A3 sportback because we always have four paws with us,but the A3 just isn,t big enough for my frame,so i,m thinking of buying another estate thats big enough for me to be comfortable in,

I,ve been looking at all makes but only petrol models,should i widen my search to diesels too seeing as up until now i have had an irrational bias against diesel power in my personal cars,don,t ask me why as my truck gets through about 1200lts a week covering over 3000kms without issue,

We will be keeping Donnas A3 because i go and return from work at odd times and it would be unfair to get Donna up to take or fetch me when she works too.

47 minutes ago, 740mick said:

Currently thinking about regretfully selling my e63 630i as its getting hardly any use,i,m away all week with work so its averaging 10miles a week,when we go anywhere at the weekend we take Donnas A3 sportback because we always have four paws with us,but the A3 just isn,t big enough for my frame,so i,m thinking of buying another estate thats big enough for me to be comfortable in,

I,ve been looking at all makes but only petrol models,should i widen my search to diesels too seeing as up until now i have had an irrational bias against diesel power in my personal cars,don,t ask me why as my truck gets through about 1200lts a week covering over 3000kms without issue,

We will be keeping Donnas A3 because i go and return from work at odd times and it would be unfair to get Donna up to take or fetch me when she works too.

How old; what kind of budget?

E39 530i touring? ;) 

Not too bothered about age Dan,i would happily go back to an E39,budget around 5k,depending on what i may realise out of the 630i,i,ve put a speculative ad on autotrader at £4500 see if theres any interest.

I think I'd be avoiding diesel more as i think its going to get penalized especially older ones and it doesn't sound like you'll do the miles to warrant it?

1 hour ago, 740mick said:

Not too bothered about age Dan,i would happily go back to an E39,budget around 5k,depending on what i may realise out of the 630i,i,ve put a speculative ad on autotrader at £4500 see if theres any interest.

I'd deffo go petrol (I know I'm biased); but the diesel engines are more to repair/fix than petrols and if you're not going to do the mileage to justify a diesel; it just makes sense (plus you're used to the petrol straight 6 anyways) ;) 

£5k is a good budget

Would you look at an E91 330i maybe?

Same thoughts as i,ve been having re the diesel,

I don,t think the E91 would be much bigger than Donnas A3,i,m thinking more along the lines of A6 size or E61,trouble with E61 i,ve had my fingers burnt before.

How about a VW Passat Mick. Alternatively the Seat Leon estate is a good steer with a 600 litre boot - the 1.4tsi engine is a peach with 150bhp, the 1.8 petrol has 178bhp iirc

Quite like the Passat Rupes,i,m tending to look at stuff over 2.5lts because thats all i,ve ever had even Donnas A3 is the 3.2ltr version,i know that hits me in the pocket with road tax but if i,m actually using it i,m not too fussed,the 630i is nearly £600 a year to tax to sit in works car park all week.

I need to widen my search parameters i think.

Edited by 740mick

2 hours ago, 740mick said:

Same thoughts as i,ve been having re the diesel,

I don,t think the E91 would be much bigger than Donnas A3,i,m thinking more along the lines of A6 size or E61,trouble with E61 i,ve had my fingers burnt before.

With all the niggles I had with my E65 730D Mick; personally I wouldn't touch another E6x range car again (unless it's masses of SH, paperwork and receipts to show lots of careful maintenance, along the OCD lines I have)

After that I couldn't wait to get back to an E39!

So we're looking for an interesting, petrol mutt lugger?

Our idiot has an adapted crate that takes half the boot of an e39 and i think anything less than an e class/a6 or 5 would be a bit tight and she's a petite spaniel.

I'm hoping an F31 might suit us but that's lots more money. A tidy e39 might be the shout. There are lots of practical solutions but if you want an interesting drive too.

Spend a few more pennies and Fido can look like Garfield!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-E55-AMG-WAGON-CLASSIC-7-SEATS-PROJECT-BARN-FIND-E46-M-BMW-AUDI-R/164345518638?hash=item2643c19a2e:g:opkAAOSwgINfPcVm

or wild card Subaru Legacy/ Forester

Seen quite a few Subaru Legacys on the Autotrader and to be honest i quite like the look of them,also thinking on the lines of Volvo V70s.

As you suggest i,d rather it was interesting than run of the mill.

7 hours ago, 740mick said:

Seen quite a few Subaru Legacys on the Autotrader and to be honest i quite like the look of them,also thinking on the lines of Volvo V70s.

As you suggest i,d rather it was interesting than run of the mill.

A fair few of these on The Bay currently if you're budget can be moved a bit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V70-R-ESTATE-2-5-AWD-300-BHP-AUTOMATIC-FRESH-JAPANESE-IMPORT/353167640636?hash=item523a6e883c:g:oRsAAOSwtCtfDcvn

;) 

Ooh thats lovely,i like that a lot,

Import though Dan,you know it could be a rot box with no service history :)

Edited by 740mick

43 minutes ago, 740mick said:

Ooh thats lovely,i like that a lot,

Import though Dan,you know it could be a rot box with no service history :)

Dangerous car too if its anything like @Loadmaster's or mine... Totally corrosion free, immaculate, in a better condition that you'll ever find in the UK, and a dangerous Jap import rot box ;):lol: 

Passat 3.2 V6 AWD estate here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Volkswagen-Passat-3-2-V6-SEL-FSI-4MOTION-5dr-DSG-RARE-CAR-ESTATE-Petrol-Aut/143641046187?hash=item2171ac6cab:g:UWkAAOSw8wlfCFig

One of those Jap rot boxes on Autotrader too with only 33000 miles for £5995

1 hour ago, E39mad said:

Passat 3.2 V6 AWD estate here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Volkswagen-Passat-3-2-V6-SEL-FSI-4MOTION-5dr-DSG-RARE-CAR-ESTATE-Petrol-Aut/143641046187?hash=item2171ac6cab:g:UWkAAOSw8wlfCFig

One of those Jap rot boxes on Autotrader too with only 33000 miles for £5995

That's a lovely motor by the looks of it... Never been into VWs but that could tempt me!

Nice E39 530i tourer just landed in the Forum for sale section Mick....

I like to think there's added peace of mind from buying off a fellow forum user. If I had the cash spare I'd have it myself. Nice little collection of grey 6pot tourings would be just the ticket. Wang an e61 M5 in there to link the two.

Edited by jannism

On 24/08/2020 at 10:25, d_a_n1979 said:

Dangerous car too if its anything like @Loadmaster's or mine... Totally corrosion free, immaculate, in a better condition that you'll ever find in the UK, and a dangerous Jap import rot box ;):lol: 

I know, these Jap imports are just awful - the nearside front wing on mine just corroded away into dust before my very eyes this morning!  :rolleyes: