SJL

Which? report on F11 Suspension issues

It's gotta be the rear  suspension airbags failing. Common on these and many other cars.

Neither BMW nor a dealer will ever acknowledge a fault like this. I used to know the guy who works the parts desk for a BMW dealer in the south of England, and he used to tell me how many they had previously sold of each new part I was buying. That was in my E46 330i days. There were many parts.

On 21/08/2020 at 10:00, BFleming said:

Neither BMW nor a dealer will ever acknowledge a fault like this. I used to know the guy who works the parts desk for a BMW dealer in the south of England, and he used to tell me how many they had previously sold of each new part I was buying. That was in my E46 330i days. There were many parts.

You are of course totally right its not just BMW,  none of the car manufacturers or dealers will ever acknowledge a fault is a common one even if you print off a list common faults from owners on various forums, but it does help to put leverage on any such claim to get the fault put right FOC, it's a shame a lot of owners not just BMW owners except the fault and pay themselves to have it put right at their dealers, when there is a good chance of getting the fault put right at no costs.

My advice any owner of any make of vehicle which has a common fault problem gather as much information you can across the internet from various forums, then print the details off them go to the dealership depending on the outcome, you can also send the details of to the manufacturers head office, just remember one thing manufacturers definitely don't like bad publicity on their product, and will usually bow to pressure just be polite and persistent with your claim and don't get fobbed off.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:12 PM, gIzzE said:

£25 and under and hour to replace. Hardly a deal breaker. 

That’s fine if your lucky and find the fault. I’ve spent loads on my rear suspension. My mechanic, who is spot and and I trust him implicitly, has tried and tried to pin point the fault on my suspension which is still there to this day. On visual inspection the suspension is fine, no obvious faults whatsoever and driving is as smooth as can be however, I get one of two alert messages every time I get into the car and start driving. It’s either “ driver comfort reduced” or “cornering affected” ( words to that extent ) with suspension fault. I’ve had the bags replaced, levelling arms replaced and I’ve had the solenoid replaced and still it comes up. The rear air suspension works as it should throughout yet there is a fault somewhere. 

OK, so you have replaced the air springs, then solenoid valve and you are not showing any signs of issue with the car?

How many miles has it got? Actually, how old is the car? 

My guess would be that the silica beads in the compressor are now full which is stopping your car from releasing air. 

When the car starts it does a little self level check, abit like with xenon lights, if your car doesn't raise or lower at the speed it expects you will get these errors, even before you drive off. 

The compressor has a chamber which the venting air goes through, it is full of silica beads to absorb the moisture as the air escapes, as these get older they fill up and turn from blue to red. 

At this point you need to empty them and replace them with new ones. 

You can buy a bottle on Amazon for £15. You will only use 30% of them in that bottle. 1.5-3mm balls are ideal. 

You can actually put them in the microwave on a low power for a couple of mins and they may turn back to blue. 

Your local supermarket may well sell it too. 

Edited by gIzzE

Oh, when you refill the chamber you should leave a gap of around 2cm at the top to give room for expansion. 

If you do this on the drive I would jack the car up, first, both sides if possible so the wheels are off the ground. This is because when you remove the compressors the air obviously escapes, and ideally you never want to try and get the compressor to lift the weight of the car from empty. 

So jack up, remove compressor, empty chamber, fill with new beads or microwave them till blue and put back in, and then plug it all back up, start the car and once the compressor has done it thing, lower car, pat yourself on the back and get a cold beer. 

3 hours ago, gIzzE said:

OK, so you have replaced the air springs, then solenoid valve and you are not showing any signs of issue with the car?

How many miles has it got? Actually, how old is the car? 

My guess would be that the silica beads in the compressor are now full which is stopping your car from releasing air. 

When the car starts it does a little self level check, abit like with xenon lights, if your car doesn't raise or lower at the speed it expects you will get these errors, even before you drive off. 

The compressor has a chamber which the venting air goes through, it is full of silica beads to absorb the moisture as the air escapes, as these get older they fill up and turn from blue to red. 

At this point you need to empty them and replace them with new ones. 

You can buy a bottle on Amazon for £15. You will only use 30% of them in that bottle. 

You can actually put them in the microwave on a low power for a couple of mins and they may turn back to blue. 

This is the stuff......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NS5TQ99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your local supermarket may well sell it too. 

Or these on Ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-7-F01-F02-F04-F07-F11-F11N-GT-Air-Dryer-Filtration-Repair-kit/122281817045

Mark

4 hours ago, gIzzE said:

One minor thing.... the dryer pack is meant to remove moisture from the air being sucked IN to the system, rather than keep hold of any going out. 

9 hours ago, Scotty3810 said:

That’s fine if your lucky and find the fault. I’ve spent loads on my rear suspension. My mechanic, who is spot and and I trust him implicitly, has tried and tried to pin point the fault on my suspension which is still there to this day. On visual inspection the suspension is fine, no obvious faults whatsoever and driving is as smooth as can be however, I get one of two alert messages every time I get into the car and start driving. It’s either “ driver comfort reduced” or “cornering affected” ( words to that extent ) with suspension fault. I’ve had the bags replaced, levelling arms replaced and I’ve had the solenoid replaced and still it comes up. The rear air suspension works as it should throughout yet there is a fault somewhere. 

Has he checked the codes?  Pending code for ride height sensor?

2 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

Does these beads also apply to the E61

Yeah to all compressors. 

Actually the link I posted the balls are maybe too small, you really want 1.5mm ones.