DHutch

Cills? What is good, what does a repair cost?

What is considered ok condition for cills, what does the good and bad look like before you start cutting?

All made much harder by the fill covers, but while a lot have brown jack points, can you tell if it's gone or not with the covers on?

Photos are from a car for sale in went to look at today, just behind the front passenger wheel.  Thoughts welcome. Jack points on the last MOT as advisory, wider cills not mentioned.

Daniel

20200819_161744.jpg

20200819_161754.jpg

20200819_161801.jpg

20200819_161814.jpg

When I bought mine I had a good look at the jacking points before purchasing. I could only see what looked like surface rust (as expected). More or less what you showed here, only it was a dry day. Eventually I was brave enough to take the covers off and I since went out and bought a welder LOL. Mine is a bit of a part time project (it's declared off the road) and I was gutted of course but it's not the end of the world for me. I suspect if I'd got deeper under to see the angle you have in your final pic I'd have seen the same. It has none of the rust showing at door bottoms like your 1st pic. As the sills rot from the inside out, I suspect if you take those covers off you will find some holes. Poke those holes and you'll soon have some bigger holes.

My guess is there are very few examples from the UK that aren't badly corroded. 

Keliuss

The sunroof drain pipes run into the sills as standard. I don't know which Bavarian knucklehead thought that was a good idea, but I'd wager they rust from the inside out, so even one that looks pretty rust free is hiding some corrosion.  Mine are a bit crusty front and rear, but it looks better than most, and I have an E21 so I'm well versed in rust repairs!

Edited by Flandy

I know it might seem discouraging but someone here (can't remember who) with way more experience than myself of E34s said he had a non-sunroof model before and the sills were just as bad :(

Keliuss