duncan-uk

Who is satisfied with the government & also brexit plans?

I’m sitting here waiting for some new boots to get here from Sweden. It’s been almost 2 weeks since I ordered them and tracking says they are stuck in Poland.  Last time I bought from these guys it took 2 days to get to my door. Remind what’s  better about this again?

But but... they knew what they were voting for! :huh:

2020:

2018:

Edited by DarkHorse

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

Quite a laughable statement in the final paragraph of that:

"My recommendation to anyone in the EU looking to buy goods in the UK is: don’t order anything until you know what the charges and VAT will be. And be patient. This should all sort itself out eventually"

Eh, no it won't. Not unless the UK rejoins the EU it won't.

Keliuss

UK fishermen are halting exports to the EU. 700 trucks have been turned away from ports in what is a very quiet week. Stena is cancelling ferries due to lack of demand. DPD has suspended European services. Even Percy Pig can't make it across the Irish sea. Cue D:Ream? 

19 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

1 year on from Brexit and two thirds of the trucks leaving the UK are empty. 

Aye, and there's no vaccine on any of the fekkers.....

In the meantime, I've moved into a production unit, almost finished building the office, got four prototype units out in the field on test (72% uk made components, so not bad for a start)  whilst being incredibly busy on the heating side of life... Whilst you, Inky and Dead Horse have been sitting on your jacksies crying for Ursula von de Leyen.. You are yesterdays men

It's a bit like some guy crawling out the wreckage of a plane crash and telling everyone that plane crashes really aren't an issue because he's never felt better. Maybe all the other passengers just weren't trying hard enough?

On 01/02/2021 at 09:27, Karl said:

In the meantime, I've moved into a production unit, almost finished building the office, got four prototype units out in the field on test (72% uk made components, so not bad for a start)  whilst being incredibly busy on the heating side of life... Whilst you, Inky and Dead Horse have been sitting on your jacksies crying for Ursula von de Leyen.. You are yesterdays men

As the owner or director of a company, it is your job to develop it. You want a pat on the head for doing your job? It does not appear to have anything to do with the price of fish

Apparently the EU stopped him before but we've never been told how or why - genuinely curious as to what this magic product is.

Fill ya boots, there's gold in them thar hills I tells ya!

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/the-davis-downside-dossier/

EU shellfish import ban permanent, UK fishing industry told

The EU has told British fishermen they are indefinitely banned from selling live mussels, oysters, clams, cockles and scallops to its member states.

As the UK is now a separate country, it is not allowed to transport the animals to the EU unless they have already been treated in purification plants.

But the industry says it does not have enough tanks ready and the process can slow exports, making them less viable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55903599

Brexit bureaucracy: 'These are not just teething problems'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-55847259

Edited by DarkHorse
updated

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has directly benefitted from Brexit? 

I am mid level manager for a company who sells our own brand goods and also manufacture footwear and clothing for the retail sector.. 

For us Brexit has been a total disaster, started in December will the mad rush for everyone to get goods in to Europe, the demand was so great that a 40ft container from China which would cost an average of £2k was was being charged £7k-£9k. On average we bring in 70 containers a month, then getting goods into Europe towards the end of the month was 3x the cost for haulage transport..

Jan 21

January started as December left us with DPD and DHL suspending all road haulage into Europe and have only recently started delivering our wholesale goods.. Palletised loads suspended into Europe by our 5 partners until mid February. 

we have suspend all our European retail web orders (approx 10k items per week) as our European retail customers were refusing to pay the added taxes and goods were coming back.. 

Some of our big European customer such as Zalando, Otto group, H&M, Spartoo, Amazon Germany/Poland and France, Deichmann, Indetex all cancelled January and February orders due to us not being able to guarantee delivery dates and have all reduced orders for the rest of the year.  on top of all this we are having to recruit fiscal representative for almost every European country and re-label some good again to say manufactured outside the EU.. 

With the state of our high street where we have seen a decline in business in the U.K. of approx 70% since the crash of 2007, we have done really well expanding Europe since then but are now left with cancelled orders..   

We are currently operating out of 2 sites, one in the north and one in the midlands. The northern site used to only handle European goods, this site will now close once the furlough ends in March. The sad irony is that our northern site overwhelmingly voted Brexit which will now close due to Brexit...

Edited by kayser540

On 01/02/2021 at 09:27, Karl said:

Aye, and there's no vaccine on any of the fekkers.....

Would be interested to know what the EU prevented you from manufacturing?? 

Also AstraZeneca as promised the EU another 9m doses of the vaccine heading their way.. lol..

4 hours ago, kayser540 said:

Also AstraZeneca as promised the EU another 9m doses of the vaccine heading their way.. lol..

Coming from AZ production facility in the EU as it manages to iron the bugs out of their process... The UK plants had the same problems initially but they got the word to go before the EU plants. The EU threw itself behind the efforts from the Pasteur Institute who abandoned the research...

Plenty of folk are benefitting from Brexit... Possibly, they are just not the kind of people that you would care to mix with..  The driver who dropped me 10 boilers this week seemed much happier as his boss now has to make an effort to retain drivers, construction industry workers too have less competition, same with care workers... The environment wins too.. One food producer in Yorkshire has abandoned importing Basil from Italy on trucks in favour of a UK developed and manufactured semi automated vertical Basil production plant for use in their sausages... Much less waste, fresher produce and less physical handling..... Your Northern warehousmen will be fine. Buying gear from China, branding it and selling it on? Really??

10 hours ago, Karl said:

Buying gear from China, branding it and selling it on? Really??

Where did I mention we buy from China and Rebrand? We are manufacturing company who OWN few labels and MANUFACTURE for the retail industry.. you would not last in clothing/footwear manufacturing if you didn’t have the goods manufactured in the Far East unless you use the Leicester sweatshops.. where do you think the high street goods comes from???

10 hours ago, Karl said:

The driver who dropped me 10 boilers this week seemed much happier as his boss now has to make an effort to retain drivers. 

Not sure which company this is but not according to DHL,DPD,Hermes, FedEx, Amazon, UPS, parcelforce who have been struggling to find qualified drivers.. 

10 hours ago, Karl said:

One food producer in Yorkshire has abandoned importing Basil from Italy on trucks in favour of a UK developed and manufactured semi automated vertical Basil production plant for use in their sausages...

This will definitely make up for the lost billions right?  but why couldn’t they buy Basil from the U.K. before Brexit? 

10 hours ago, Karl said:

construction industry workers too have less competition, same with care workers... 

So where would the shortfall of workers come from to fill the vacancies but agree there would be less competition but this isn’t a good thing.. just means care workers have to do more shifts!!  

10 hours ago, Karl said:

Possibly, they are just not the kind of people that you would care to mix with

you don’t even know me nor do you know the people I mix with, I didn’t mention I was pro Brexit or against just how Brexit was a disaster for our company.. 

10 hours ago, Karl said:

Plenty of folk are benefitting from Brexit

I asked the question has ANYONE  directly benefitted from Brexit, this wasn’t an sarcastic comment as I’m interested to know,  you’ve just waffled on without answering the question, why don’t you share you experience how Brexit has been a success for you? 

15 hours ago, kayser540 said:

Would be interested to know what the EU prevented you from manufacturing?? 

this was directed at you.. I am genuinely interested in how people have benefitted from Brexit.. 

10 hours ago, Karl said:

Your Northern warehousmen will be fine. 

they may well be but with the towns other large warehouse closing 2 sites (non Brexit) and moving to East Midlands they may struggle I bit.. 

Edited by kayser540

On 07/01/2021 at 20:43, kobayashi said:

I’m sitting here waiting for some new boots to get here from Sweden. It’s been almost 2 weeks since I ordered them and tracking says they are stuck in Poland.  Last time I bought from these guys it took 2 days to get to my door. Remind what’s  better about this again?

At the time when that was written.  The boots would have been ordered around 24 December 2020.  We were still in the EU.  The delay unlikely to have been caused by Brexit

The major benefit is covid vaccine.  

The issue AstraZeneca which Macron and Ursula von der Leyen are referring to is a misprint of a German newspaper article.  I cannot remember the precise  details.  It was something like 8 people who were tested above 65 had the vaccine in a test (there was no negativity with that test)

As Macron cannot provide enough vaccines he lied about AstraZeneca with Ursula von der Leyen last night.  When they both said yesterday it is not effective for above 65 years old people.  

As they pushed the big red button last week with trade.  The EU admitted that AstraZeneca contract is fair and they made a big mistake.

To me this shows that the EU are just bullies.

I have always said it will take some time for the benefits to appear and for the disruptions to stop.  It has only just been over a month. 

28 minutes ago, nealpina said:

At the time when that was written.  The boots would have been ordered around 24 December 2020.  We were still in the EU.  The delay unlikely to have been caused by Brexit

Yep if the good hadn’t cleared customs by 31st then will not have the correct paperwork now to clear customs and will be rejected and sent back.. They will need to be sent out again as Duty At Place..