duncan-uk

Who is satisfied with the government & also brexit plans?

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Where I  made the parallel beyond how this government is dealing with things including Brexit as that's in their remit?

At the end of last year or at the start of this year.   A bill was passed so the Brexit UK negotiation department or team didn't need explain themselves in public.  Therefore nothing new will be said until October I guess.  We are just going through the motions of transition. However you made the goal to be wide open, in my opinion, for the thread to turn nasty by unnecessary linking the two

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

The point you quote is because two members on both sides seem to ruin every thread like this with name calling and petty bickering despite being asked to reign it in on numerous occasions

No.  One member insults everyone with a different view to them.  The other defends their opinion and others,  and then uses the same tone as them.  It is a subtle difference, but it is a difference!

9 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

do not allow threads to be started in regards to religious/political topics because they always turn into a shit show; it's their natural progression unfortunately...

This is why on the forum which I administer.  I have a general section but it is for the forum subject which doesn't fit into any other heading.

Neal I'll not say any more and we can agree to disagree but both parties were as bad as each other in the name calling.

On 20/08/2020 at 13:09, Karl said:

Though I must admit that I object to the fact that in my taxes, I will be paying for the folk who claimed their 80% to stay at home and do not, worse still is that a great many of them didn't seem to be able to do that right..

Bit late to this thread, but I think it’s important to be clear on this small point, because it’s something I’ve seen the tabloids also get wrong (although in their case I suspect they get it wrong on purpose).

We should remember that the 80% of wages is claimed by the employer, not the employee and similarly, the decision to continue working whilst on furlough is also made by the employer who is claiming from the government. This has been fraud on a massive scale by employers across the country, and it is them that we should be angry with, not the employees who were pressured into continuing to work, often on reduced pay.

Maybe one day, a list of all the businesses which claimed furlough whilst allowing (or forcing/pressuring) their employees to continue working will be published and their customers will be able to show them what they think of them.

Bump: I see the Tory goverment's Brexit negotiations are still going well... :twisted: own it!

21 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Bump: I see the Tory goverment's Brexit negotiations are still going well... :twisted: own it!

i wouldn't believe anything reported in the press, especially about Brexit. Let's face it, even if it was going good and there was positive things to report you know that's not what would be printed . . . . Bad news sells better. 

Na, with 75% of the press being owned by hard right leaning media barrons that have peddled straw man bashing the EU for the past 40 years, things must be pretty bad if a large section of them are trashing the governments excuse for a negotiating position.

Only 113 days... not long until project fear meets the project reality of a no deal (or more likely, an ultra skinny FTA light).

Brex-apocalypse now soon! "I love the smell of fudge in the morning..." :mad:

So why throughout Covid have they continuously swapped sides between backing the Government, and then opposing them? Lockdown in the beginning being a key issue - the press wanted lock down, lock down happened then they bemoaned it and all the restrictions. 

The press print what sells. It's a business, not an unbiased information source. 

Can you advise what previous UK Government Party have negotiated to leave the EU? It's fairly difficult to judge something which is the first of its event . . . . . what's the benchmark? 

Nope, leaving the EU is one thing, the manor and incompetent way that this lot have gone about it is astonishing.

As for COVID, the lockdown should have been early, hard and swift for 4 to 6 weeks, not this disastrous 6 month affair, too late, too soft, too long resulting in +70k dead in Q2 above the baseline average and a trashed economy. This $hit show aint over yet.

https://www.endcoronavirus.org/how-win

Anyone out there, be sure to let us know when you can identify any genuine measurable upside for the UK coming down the track... Excluding those who are Scottish or Irish and manage to leave this UK union. When the arguments employed around sovereignty to break with the European Union can be equally applied to break up the UK union, Brexit will be shown as a foolish execise in self destruction.

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's again, dislexic Mo Fo!

27 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Nope, leaving the EU is one thing, the manor and incompetent way that this lot have gone about it is astonishing.

As for COVID, the lockdown should have been early, hard and swift for 4 to 6 weeks, not this disastrous 6 month affair, too late, too soft, too long resulting in +70k dead in Q2 above the baseline average and a trashed economy. This $hit show aint over yet.

https://www.endcoronavirus.org/how-win

Anyone out there, be sure to let us know when you can identify any genuine measurable upside for the UK coming down the track... Excluding those who are Scottish or Irish and manage to leave this UK union. When the arguments employed around sovereignty to break with the European Union can be equally applied to break up the UK union, Brexit will be shown as a foolish execise in self destruction.

It is not as if this is the UK's first incompetent Government. There have been many before with their Scandals and screw ups, and there will be more in the Future. I am saying this in an open manner, btw, not in a defence to the current Government. I've no die hard allegiance to anyone political. 

Covid was fresh, new and what worked for one Country did not work for another. Simple as that. With hindsight there are many things that could have been done earlier - even social distancing would have had an impact. Nearly every country with a high GDP has had the "same" impact on their economy, death toll & nations. 

There's no point being spurious about upsides from Brexit until things have been completely settled, which will take years. Yes, there might be some things that do change in the immediacy but overall it will take time for the changes to filter through. Brexit does not represent a gain for anybody/country on a Global level. But we might stand a chance of being ok seeing as we are one of the bigger nations on the World Wide stage. Remember that the politicians in charge did not 'make' Brexit happen, the public wanted a vote and this is it.

I also doubt they would make it a non-return agreement, as we'll not fully cut ties with them. The EU has to take a hard stance to discourage others from following suit - they only exist because of the the countries who grouped together. 

I don't know if you hate the UK and are $hitting on it, or if it simply disagrees with you. But I think you're missing a lot of things the UK does, is responsible for, produces and does on a Global level. 

1 hour ago, dj1233 said:

It's fairly difficult to judge something which is the first of its event . . . . . what's the benchmark? 

The benchmark is what we had before. If brexit doesn’t improve the country in a measurably then the people who sold it to us, who are also the people now charged with delivering it, have done a bad job. They certainly don’t get away with delivering any old turd just because there’s no previous ‘brexit’ to compare to.

1 minute ago, Spandex said:

The benchmark is what we had before. If brexit doesn’t improve the country in a measurably then the people who sold it to us, who are also the people now charged with delivering it, have done a bad job. They certainly don’t get away with delivering any old turd just because there’s no previous ‘brexit’ to compare to.

You can't benchmark one thing to another, which has the potential to change a lot of things. To do so is leading to failure before its begun. If i sell my car which works 100% and buy another of the same year/colour/spec, it does'n' mean it'll be the same. 

I'll say that Brexit was not sold to people, but they were given a choice and the potential outcome. (no one mention the Bus). If it was the job of those who 'sold' it to deliver it, where's Farage . . . . . ah yes, he got his cake, retired and is now off the scene watching others pick up his mess.  

We will end up with essentially the same thing in the end as we did in the beginning. Apart form probably some more red tape (especially if you're a business transacting with the EU). I can't see the general population really being affected by the outcome. 

You absolutely can benchmark what we have after against what we had before. If lots of things change then those are the things that will be compared to how they were before. That’s the whole point of benchmarking.

You seem to be trying to claim that you can’t compare two things if they’re different - obviously that makes no sense, so I’m assuming I must have missed your point.

Sadly my country has become an embarrassment on the world stage, ask around. Recenty the UK has proved itself to be a laughing stock, I've seen how Asia has observed the COVID shambells, not to mention the nonsense over Brexit without a plan.
No I have always wanted the UK I live in to succeed for all its fellow citizens. For 40 years I've hoped that we would get a gov't for the people, instead of the same old policies implemented by different coloured ties. Then to have all the failures be successfully blamed on EU membership, misinformation and misdirection enabled by the mentioned right wing barron press has led to Brexit, when it has really been 40 years of failure in Westminster. Sadly though, enough of the people fell for it.

Almost no trade deals in place with any country (including all those the UK shared in the EU to the rest of the world). Not long now before the blame game starts, remainers, the WA, immigrants, benefit cheats, convenient Russian BOTs, the mean old EU 27, the WTO, the Democrates/congress, the Chinese regime... it'll be everyone but those lying Tories spearheading Brexit for their shady handlers, corperate backers, dark money hedge funds and tax havens.

Obviously today's situation has not been done before (Brexit and Covid). However, I thought when Boris, one of the driving forces behind the leave campaign, became PM, I would have expected things to go a lot smoother. It seems as if there was no real plan for Brexit, and that the leave campaign was just throwing numbers and facts that they wanted people to believe. The remain and leave campaign were both shambles. It was like watching two school children arguing. I voted to remain only because there was no real plan from the leave side. 

There's been so many back and forth agreements and stubbornness from both sides (UK and EU) that I can't keep track of what's happening. Listening to the news this evening looks like Boris wants to amend an agreement he has signed near the beginning of the year. What I would like to find out is with the current agreements that have been signed, how will this affect the UK positively? What changes will there be post-Brexit, and will it be worth the hassle?

The question is not what a different government would do. It is what any competent government would do. There is no little irony in being told you may need to travel hundreds of miles just to get a test done. Maybe throw in a trip to the opticians and make a day of it?

If there were any post Brexit deals in the pipeline, surely the details would have been shouted from the rooftops?  But who in their right mind is going to have confidence in trading with a country which signs a deal and promptly reneges on it?

Reaction to the government's failings is likely to be similar to that of a correctly performed Covid swab -  it will make you want to heave or make your eyes water. Or both