duncan-uk

Who is satisfied with the government & also brexit plans?

Just a reminder. My intention was for thoughts to be aired. I deliberately suggested replies weren’t needed though genuine questions are encouraged. 

I was curious to get a gauge of public mood with the state of politics at this time.

47 minutes ago, Karl said:

You don't need to know what it is, it won't be distributed to the general public directly. But the manufacturing issues are common to every small manufacturing enterprise and start up..

Well if they are common to every small manufacturer, what laws are changing to help you?

4 minutes ago, inkiboo said:

Well if they are common to every small manufacturer, what laws are changing to help you?

As I said, check the Brexit posts... It was all there. Feel free to go and read..

40 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Just a reminder. My intention was for thoughts to be aired. I deliberately suggested replies weren’t needed though genuine questions are encouraged. 

I was curious to get a gauge of public mood with the state of politics at this time.

The thing is, posts like this don't gauge the mood... It attracts the hard core leavers/ remainers/ lefties and righties such as me, Inky, dark horse and maybe one or two moderates and it all turns into a row between those who believe that the world is ending and those who see a bright future... It all depends  if a person is reasonably self reliant or if they are a needy whinger who feels that the state must supply their lives to them from cradle to grave

13 hours ago, Karl said:

I'm pretty sure that your statement there is wrong unless you are hoping that our arrangements with the EU will remain the same... Manufacturing will become a much more important part of the economy... As such, would I vote for Brexit again? Good lord yes.

It would be interesting to know what goods the EU or the single market has prevented manufacturing in the U.K.? 

Few family members who were in manufacturing have in the past lost their jobs due manufacturing being outsourced to the Far East or Eastern Europe, this was only for costs of labour. 

On a personal note on Brexit, the company I work for has lost 80% of its U.K. business since the financial crash of 07 due the demise of the high street. We see no growth in the U.K for the next 5 years, our only survival is our EU sales which has increased by around 60% in that time. Any tariffs or trade barriers would definitively signal the end.. 

7 minutes ago, kayser540 said:

It would be interesting to know what goods the EU or the single market has prevented manufacturing in the U.K.? 

Few family members who were in manufacturing have in the past lost their jobs due manufacturing being outsourced to the Far East or Eastern Europe, this was only for costs of labour. 

On a personal note on Brexit, the company I work for has lost 80% of its U.K. business since the financial crash of 07 due the demise of the high street. We see no growth in the U.K for the next 5 years, our only survival is our EU sales which has increased by around 60% in that time. Any tariffs or trade barriers would definitively signal the end.. 

The first thing that you must ask yourself is why has the cost of labour increased... Are labour costs too high here or are people only interested in the bottom line, knowing that they are pricing themselves out of a job...

I think that the recent thingy with Covid has demonstrated that the future of the highstreet is grim and many businesses will look at the viability of maintaining expensive offices when they have managed to get their staff to work from home... Perhaps home offices are the future... Perhaps more environmentally freindly

Edited by Karl

Maybe we can return to the original question: 'who is actually happy with the government and their handling of matters re covid, a levels, brexit etc.'?

The answer would seem to be that nobody is happy. But competence no longer appears to be a yardstick against which the government's performance is measured. If it were, the likes of Cummings and Williamson would have been down the road long ago.  Polls don't seem to indicate that opposition parties have suddenly surged ahead of the Conservatives. So while we may laugh at Boris, the joke is on us

1 minute ago, whiskychaser said:

Maybe we can return to the original question: 'who is actually happy with the government and their handling of matters re covid, a levels, brexit etc.'?

The answer would seem to be that nobody is happy. But competence no longer appears to be a yardstick against which the government's performance is measured. If it were, the likes of Cummings and Williamson would have been down the road long ago.  Polls don't seem to indicate that opposition parties have suddenly surged ahead of the Conservatives. So while we may laugh at Boris, the joke is on us

No one has ever been happy with whichever Government they have had... Going back a few years, we could argue about coal mine closures, but in the recent context, could coal mine closures and not using coal to power the country now be seen as a triumph of environmentalism? Who now would vote to open a pit these days? Though there are 5 new coal mines on the drawing board (I Think) I said it before, anyone who is happy with their government is a fool and open to being mugged

Are you finally manufacturing 10kw kettles?

The only EU law I remember you giving as an example of how much control we had lost was about limiting the power consumption of household electrical goods. 

All your brexit related posts seem to be of the ‘I’m going to be alright Jack, pull the ladder up’ type. The period of uncertainty you mention will seriously damage some people. I hope having not to wait that extra minute for you tea is worth it. 

I've spent a fair amount of time looking for any upside to Brexit for the average UK dweller... The sum total being that the UK will no longer be bound by EU state aid rules, so we could legally re-nationalise the railways etc. One of a number of long over due rackets anyways, when +30% taxpayer subsidised and companies are visibly still making large profits even with no passengers as COVID has emptied public transport DOH!.

Oh and some gob$hite twat who runs a UK pub chain (that sounds like a 'spoon) reckons we can get cheaper imported oranges post Brexit. Woopie fecking doo!

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's

It gets better, even more rosey in the sunny uplands of Brexit:

DISASTER DOSSIER: Leaked document reveals Cabinet’s emergency plans for perfect storm of No Deal Brexit and coronavirus second wave
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12474511/emergency-plans-perfect-storm-no-deal-brexit-coronavirus-second-wave/

On 23/08/2020 at 14:54, kobayashi said:

Are you finally manufacturing 10kw kettles?

The only EU law I remember you giving as an example of how much control we had lost was about limiting the power consumption of household electrical goods. 

All your brexit related posts seem to be of the ‘I’m going to be alright Jack, pull the ladder up’ type. The period of uncertainty you mention will seriously damage some people. I hope having not to wait that extra minute for you tea is worth it. 

Why would anyone want a 10kW kettle? You couldn't use one on a 13amp plug... I did use the Ecodirective as a good example of EU interference. It does still affect almost every aspect of our lives as everything uses energy in its manufacture or its use. Some items have been made to use very little energy in use and manufacture but are no longer durable... in some cases the end of a products warrany defines the end of a products life.

Given that I started my working life in manufacturing and have worked in quite a few countries, I am amused that there is a class of you Brits who despise the very thought that someone in this country might have an idea, research it, carry out marketing studies, take on an industrial unit with the view to manufacture and possibly employ someone.. Give a youngster a job better than flipping burgers or working in a call centre. That may be good enough for you but it isn't good enough for folk who want more and better..

The last few months have demonstrated two things to me, one is just how many people don't need to be on the road and the other is how well the country operated despite the fact that a lot of pointless people who have worthless jobs were shut up in their homes... Yep the important people were still out there, repairing roads, emptying bins, fixing electrical faults, stocking and manning the supermarkets, whilst the useless ones stayed safe. So yes, I will be alright Jack, it has been the attitude of a certain class of person to sneer at working folk, the people who make your world work. This class are the people who have made EU membership work for them and are the ones bellyaching about us having left and are now shiiting themselves about what they are going to do now the gravy train has hit the buffers.. What's worse is that it takes a German to tell you this...

Now I'm out of here.. Keep on whinging dudes

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 12:51, duncan-uk said:

Move on!

Karl you only seem to turn up on political threads, Inkiboo you don't help.

Keep it nice.

You started this rot of a thread Duncan. 

Since when has it been a forum rule to contribute elsewhere on the forum?   People do agree with Karl.  I don't have the time or the energy to go over dead ground.   Who else will put our side of the argument on here? However when we do all what we get is constant contemptuous and mocking 

Why can't someone who voted Brexit be annoyed with this Government? There are parallels but you interlinked them.  As a moderator and a member of 15 years.  You knew where this thread will lead to. A serious lack of judgment.  This forum has gone backwards to 2016 and the 2017 General election.  This topic is two separate threads

With regards to some of the NHS comments: I know for a fact the NHS management were told during the Brexit vote to tell staff to remain.  A friend of mine who is an accountant moans all the time about the waste in the NHS.  I therefore don't expect a NHS manager to think any differently about Brexit.

I am too busy doing charity work to care if someone replies to my post with spiteful and snide comments, to force me to reply.  

Edited by nealpina

I did start it and i also stated at the very beginning that i knew that it could be inflammatory but i also think its and interesting topic.

I feel we are on the edge of a fundamental shift in the way we live our lives locally, nationally and globally thanks to Covid.

I hoped that maturity could prevail and different view points could be expressed without repercussions.

I don't doubt many people agree with Karl, I'm sure many people agree with Inkiboo too and everyone is free to be annoyed about the government - not sure where i made the parallel beyond how this government is dealing with things including Brexit as that's in their remit?

Everyone is entitled to be happy/ sad/ satisfied /angry from the left/right/ north/south/ in / out.

My questions are some of the things I see issues with; was our response to covid too slow, was guidance flawed, is guidance clear, should schools be open before pubs, are we happy with the negotiations with EU, should Williamson not have resigned etc etc

Valid questions from both sides surely?

Not sure where I gave "contemptuous mocking" The point you quote is because two members on both sides seem to ruin every thread like this with name calling and petty bickering despite being asked to reign it in on numerous occasions - its not a requirement to post anywhere else no but odd they wade in and fan flames on these threads only.

I want to hear good arguments for and against, maybe we can all learn something?

14 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I did start it and i also stated at the very beginning that i knew that it could be inflammatory but i also think its and interesting topic.

I feel we are on the edge of a fundamental shift in the way we live our lives locally, nationally and globally thanks to Covid.

I hoped that maturity could prevail and different view points could be expressed without repercussions.

I don't doubt many people agree with Karl, I'm sure many people agree with Inkiboo too and everyone is free to be annoyed about the government - not sure where i made the parallel beyond how this government is dealing with things including Brexit as that's in their remit?

Everyone is entitled to be happy/ sad/ satisfied /angry from the left/right/ north/south/ in / out.

My questions are some of the things I see issues with; was our response to covid too slow, was guidance flawed, is guidance clear, should schools be open before pubs, are we happy with the negotiations with EU, should Williamson not have resigned etc etc

Valid questions from both sides surely?

Not sure where I gave "contemptuous mocking" The point you quote is because two members on both sides seem to ruin every thread like this with name calling and petty bickering despite being asked to reign it in on numerous occasions - its not a requirement to post anywhere else no but odd they wade in and fan flames on these threads only.

I want to hear good arguments for and against, maybe we can all learn something?

We can Duncan and without trying to sound blunt/obnoxious/told you so etc; don't put religious or political threads, or allow them, on forums like this...  IMO they have no place on a car forum because ^^^ is what happens!

All the other hifi, car and other forums on do not allow threads to be started in regards to religious/political topics because they always turn into a shit show; it's their natural progression unfortunately...

Each to their own, you allow/don't allow what you want on these forums; I just think that sensitive topics like these really do bring out the nastiness/worst in some folk and it's generally not welcomed by other members 

On 17/08/2020 at 14:05, duncan-uk said:

I know this is potentially inflammatory so first off I'm going to caveat this thread in that if it becomes, disrespectful,  personal or in anyway out of control i will pull it - no warnings!

There was always the risk that this would turn into a pissing contest but the rules of engagement were made clear.  

The conclusion appears to be that the government has not performed well at all. But should we be surprised? 

'The imminent arrival of Boris Johnson in Downing Street - a prospect that would have been dismissed as madcap just a few years ago - is a measure of the malaise infecting British politics. Only a dysfunctional political culture could conclude that a showman with such limited ability, such disqualifying flaws and such a meagre track record is the man to lead its government at this dangerous time' (Irish Times 19.7.2019)

@ Dan - i don't think just because its a difficult topic that it shouldn't be discussed. I would love to hear some good persuasive arguments from both sides. I like to think we are a reasonably mature and tolerant bunch...

I did say without need to reply or justify - the name calling and abuse has been weeded out with, i hope, not diluting the points made.

Lots of the media is telling me the sky is falling in it would be nice to hear some well written replies to the contrary that are not hearsay or fiction?

We can all surround ourselves with people of similar views or cherry pick from the news what we want to believe but is it not worth challenging our own perceptions and preconceptions?

To much to ask?

Agreed, it is about education and political awareness, something largely lacking in the UK today. Although these are serious matters, with many thousands that have died, try not to take what some misinformed ill-educated keyboard warriors say, its mostly just hot air. Continue...

20 hours ago, Karl said:

The Sun?.... Really?

Doh! Obviously I was being sinical, as we can see that even the right wing friendly media are turning fire on this administration (of Boris n Co.).

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's again, dislexic Mo Fo!