Jump to content
LukeG88

Looking to get E61 M Sport vs Business Edition

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, RightHandGoose said:

I have MY June 2007 E61 525d LCI Professional. Average 600 to 700 per tank at 60mph 99% motorway miles.

That’s not bad my 2002 530i gets 180 to about half a tank due to my driving 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would give me an excuse to go for drives to keep it clear. 
 

my 120d from years ago kept getting blocked... sent engine into limp mode. Was awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be interesting to see how many miles a year and for how many years you are planning to keep the motor. Unless you are doing more than 15k miles a year, you might well find that the fuel and road tax differentials don't factor that greatly as a percentage when compared to the purchase price, minus ~£1k depreciation and maybe as much as ~£1k maintenance bills for the first few years. Given the availability of the 530d, actual fuel savings might be pretty trivial verses the sacrifice...

 

 

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are you saying it may be better to go for a 530d? Petrol is obviously the way to go, but they are just like rocking horse poo, especially LCI. 

 

I want to keep the car for as long as possible really. That was the plan for the E39, but due to running costs and work needed on her, it’s just not viable for me unfortunately. 

 

Miles wise I’ve worked out at 6k a year. Roughly. That can change though. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-e7VPim4OiNL5BVX66vS3jh3wXmZ_zNrbcsHH5Ff8Tw/edit

 

Above spreadsheet shows the comparing I’ve done in terms of running the cars. Nothing on there about repairs.  Just realised I’ve not done a monthly running cost of the cars (e.g fuel, tax and insurance for the month). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes sadly the problem with petrol is availability.

 

Thanks for sharing the data ;), I'll have to wake up now and evaluate it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

Yes sadly the problem with petrol is availability.

 

Thanks for sharing the data ;), I'll have to wake up now and evaluate it...

Haha curse the diesel brigade... ruins it for a lot of us haha

 

Don’t feel you have to look at it! Haha. It’s there if you’re bored and want to look at some numbers, where some aren’t right haha. 
 

Just seen this... is it a risk... a replacement engine at 200k! Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-2011-BMW-520D-2-0TD-Touring-auto-M-Sport-2010-2012/333569587682?hash=item4daa4bf9e2%3Ag%3A-50AAOSwK05eY5he&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000

 

Edited by LukeG88
Added link to a classified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LukeG88 said:

Haha curse the diesel brigade... ruins it for a lot of us haha

 

Don’t feel you have to look at it! Haha. It’s there if you’re bored and want to look at some numbers, where some aren’t right haha. 
 

Just seen this... is it a risk... a replacement engine at 200k! Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-2011-BMW-520D-2-0TD-Touring-auto-M-Sport-2010-2012/333569587682?hash=item4daa4bf9e2%3Ag%3A-50AAOSwK05eY5he&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000

 


Are you on Facebook Luke?

 

An 07 530D touring has cropped up on the ‘BMW 5 SERIES Cars and Part for sale UK’ group FYI

 

Looks a lovely example for £4200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LukeG88 said:

Haha curse the diesel brigade... ruins it for a lot of us haha

 

Don’t feel you have to look at it! Haha. It’s there if you’re bored and want to look at some numbers, where some aren’t right haha. 
 

Just seen this... is it a risk... a replacement engine at 200k! Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-2011-BMW-520D-2-0TD-Touring-auto-M-Sport-2010-2012/333569587682?hash=item4daa4bf9e2%3Ag%3A-50AAOSwK05eY5he&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000

 


Wow, that’s a good find!

 

If all the paperwork adds up and it’s in as good a condition as it looks, that could be a superb car

 

Have you funds in place to move on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:


Wow, that’s a good find!

 

If all the paperwork adds up and it’s in as good a condition as it looks, that could be a superb car

 

Have you funds in place to move on it?

 

239,000 miles - I don't think so...

 

Might have a newish engine, but everything else will be on the way out...

Edited by know-dice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:


Are you on Facebook Luke?

 

An 07 530D touring has cropped up on the ‘BMW 5 SERIES Cars and Part for sale UK’ group FYI

 

Looks a lovely example for £4200

No. I’m not on Facebook unfortunately. Could you be PM me some images?

 

1 hour ago, RightHandGoose said:

Good morning, if I was you I would be getting that car. For the price, age, what's been done to it. Paperwork etc!!! 

For the F11?

 

I’ve not got any funds in place to move on on yet. Stuff in the personal life to sort out...women eh?! I’m waiting for stuff to sort out before pouncing really. Hopefully next couple of months and I’ll be sorted. 

 

Ive been to the shop. Sorry haha. 

Edited by LukeG88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RightHandGoose said:

For sure... 

yeah? But as @know-dice said, could other parts start going wrong (although same can be said for an E61). 
 

There may be a small chance it’s available when it comes to me buying. People may be put off by the high miles when first viewing advert. I’ll keep an eye on it on eBay. 
 

not a bad MOT history. Wonder if the Suspension arm ball joints have been replaced. Not sure if this link will work - https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.177699941.1314335321.1598869931-2130310412.1578132017

 

6D74A4D1-DBD1-4C01-BCCA-D6CB7AB84041.png

Edited by LukeG88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RightHandGoose said:

More chance of the e61 going wrong hands down. Big ticket items like the turbo and engine sorted.. Feel for you... 

 

ah so long term, it may be better getting a F11 due to reliability issues of an E61. Are the F11s better built and better engines? I assume they would be being newer cars, like it may last me longer than an E61?

 

in terms of the big ticket items (engine and turbo) you referring to the F11 I linked, or just F11s in general?

 

I’ve not looked in huge detail at the F11. Most on auto trader seem to be £6500 with around 130-140k on. 

Edited by LukeG88
Added more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had another look at the current crop of motors for sale... there isn't much out there at the moment :(.

 

One thing though, no matter what you get, I reckon you'll miss the classic lines of the E39 and the solid feel of the dependable 3.0L M54 lump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

More chance of the e61 going wrong hands down. Big ticket items like the turbo and engine sorted.. Feel for you... 

 

Are E6x really more unreliable than the F1x series - I don't know :rolleyes:

 

Was the "new" engine a full engine or just the block, pistons and crank? What about the injectors & swirl flaps? Torque converter and gearbox?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Just had another look at the current crop of motors for sale... there isn't much out there at the moment :(.

 

One thing though, no matter what you get, I reckon you'll miss the classic lines of the E39 and the solid feel of the dependable 3.0L M54 lump.

Yeah there's not a huge deal out there. A lot are still the same ones as was what was for sale when I first started looking.

 

1 hour ago, dj1233 said:

What about this one

ah yes, I have been looking at that one @d_a_n1979 had sent that one to me previously. Been on sale a while.

 

53 minutes ago, know-dice said:

 

Are E6x really more unreliable than the F1x series - I don't know :rolleyes:

 

Was the "new" engine a full engine or just the block, pistons and crank? What about the injectors & swirl flaps? Torque converter and gearbox?

 

 

Now I don't know? Haha I can't work it out! ha 

 

Well I have taken the 525d in the attached image for a drive. Pleasantly surprised.

 

Engine didn't sound as bad as I thought, considering it's a diesel. Enough punch for me, joined the motorway, unfortunately, the driver in front thought joining a motorway at 40...Safe! But luckily the right hand lane was free, so could put my foot down a bit, and it went well.

 

Ride wise, was a firm ride...but then I remembered (from the ad) and it was sitting on run flats. Steering (to me) felt nice, weighty (heavier engine) but was good. Couldn't hear any squeaks or knocking.

 

Interior wise, was in good condition. Plenty of room for me and the kids. Boot was big enough for me to lay the kids bike down flat. Boot did just need a good clean on the plastics. The trim colour wasn't as bad as I thought in person. Cup holders.... pointless though... but then again, I don't often drink cans or coffee in the car. iDrive was good, didn't play too much with it. But had a nice feel. I liked the chunky knobs in the front, looks much nicer than some of the dials in some models.

 

Body was in good condition. Wheels were good condition. Only negative, was that it seemed to be some paint missing (well was black) by the boot lid. Not sure how easy to fix, or if the garage can get it repaired. Forgot to ask!

 

But overall, I think I do want a 6 cylinder diesel....but I need to test drive a 4pot, just to confirm my thoughts! ha



 

fc1876ef5ad04b06b793c12553c93311-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

The E61 tailgate can suffer corrosion issues here:

image.png.0cb4dc9a3247b76d93b354935ceb55a7.png

 

can't say i noticed that, but will definitely look when i go visit again. I couldn't even get that part of the boot open? not sure if that's a good sign and for someone reason couldn't get it to lock with either key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, the little button under the wiper/handle should release the glass independant of the tailgate. The button can fail often due to tailgate wiring failure in the poorly designed 4 hinge geometry (for carrying the looms and washer pipe). See recent this thread and its links.

 

 

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's again, dislexic Mo Fo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Hmm, the little button under the wiper/handle should release the glass independant of the tailgate. The button can fail often due to tailgate wiring failure in the poorly designed 4 hinge geometry (for the carring the looms and washer pipe). See recent this thread and its links.


I definitely felt that button. But nothing was releasing. Maybe I wasn’t pressing hard enough.I’ll email the garage tomorrow regarding it, as want to ask how much they’d give for mine in part ex.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×