ellisc

G31 Gloss Black Styling

Hi All,

I recently picked up a UK 69 plate G31 520d xDrive and I have to say these things are awesome! Just looking to add some of my own touches to it
IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.3d40107f2ee34761b753a85ddbcabf0e.JPG

Grille
Firstly I have swapped out the chrome grille for this gloss black diamond one (honestly this thing looks unreal in person):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-G30-G31-G38-gloss-black-diamond-style-front-kidney-grilles-grille-grills-UK/274088791749?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AG31&hash=item3fd0f70ec5:g:I94AAOSwDM9engRT
IMG_2328.thumb.jpg.3d80f050ecfb5f9744364b1aeede0948.jpg

Wing Mirrors

The next thing I am looking to add is some M5 Look Gloss Black wing mirrors, so I found these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-Series-G30-G31-17-Black-Gloss-Wing-Mirror-Cover-Pair-Set-M5-Look-LHD/264644741519?epid=14035910908&hash=item3d9e0e498f:g:uR4AAOSwu4peAJuT

but apparently these only fit on a LHD G30/31 does anyone who has installed these or something similar in the UK had issues? or do you specifically need RHD wing mirror covers?

Front Splitter
Thinking of getting this:
https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/body-kits/bmw/bmw-5-series/bmw-5series-g30-g31/front-splitter-v2-bmw-5-g30-g31-msport
Found this company called Maxton Design that do some really nice stuff!

Side Skirts
https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/body-kits/bmw/bmw-5-series/bmw-5series-g30-g31/side-skirts-splitters-bmw-5-g30-g31-msport

Rear Diffuser
Found this on eBay and gotta say this thing looks like it will massively change the look of the rear end (not that it needs it, already great looking enough just want something that looks a bit more special)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-G30-G31-Performance-Gloss-Black-Rear-Bumper-Diffuser-5-Series-Splitter-STM-2/273830824178

Spoiler
I am unsure on this at the moment, seen people adding the AC spoiler I think it might be too much personally. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?
Another idea I had is to leave the factory fitted spoiler and possibly get the roof wrapped gloss black along with the spoiler...still pondering this

Would be awesome to see some other owners additions to there own cars, so please post below! Once I start adding in my other additions I will post some more pics

Ellis

Edited by ellisc

Grill looks good to be fair.

Beyond that, personally, I'd swap the alloys out for some better looking ones (not sure on style numbers anymore to be honest) and leave it at that.

Will watch the thread to see how it ends up, good luck :)

Edit: Also you're another northwesterner! Might even see you on the roads...

Edited by CFD

5 minutes ago, CFD said:

Grill looks good to be fair.

Beyond that, personally, I'd swap the alloys out for some better looking ones (not sure on style numbers anymore to be honest) and leave it at that.

Will watch the thread to see how it ends up, good luck :)

Edit: Also you're another northwesterner! Might even see you on the roads...

Cheers! Really impressed with the grille

I was thinking of changing the alloys at first, these M sport 19s have really grown on me! I’m gonna wait and see how they look once I start adding more bits

good to see some fellow northwesterners here! Where abouts are you located? Where currently in the Ribble Valley area, but looking to move to North Wales in the coming years

Edited by ellisc

Just now, ellisc said:

Cheers! Really impressed with the grille

I was thinking of changing the alloys at first, these M sport 19s have really grown on me! I’m gonna wait and see how they look once I started adding more to it

good to see some fellow northwesterners here! Where abouts are you located? Where currently in the Ribble Valley area, but looking to move to North Wales in the coming years

I can see Pendle hill from my house, lets put it that way :) I have mates who live in Billington so know RV fairly well.

I have the same alloys, those are just what came with M Sport on a 530e at the time of over, so not worth changing. My previous F32 had much better looking ones fitted as part of the m sport plus pack.

1 minute ago, CFD said:

I can see Pendle hill from my house, lets put it that way :) I have mates who live in Billington so know RV fairly well.

I have the same alloys, those are just what came with M Sport on a 530e at the time of over, so not worth changing. My previous F32 had much better looking ones fitted as part of the m sport plus pack.

Great stuff! Aye know Pendle hill well it’s a common hike for us and amazing country roads through RV for taking the 5 down.

How you finding the hybrid? I toyed with the idea, but due to the amount of long distance driving I do it was not worth it.

I have to agree the M Sport Plus Pack & M Performance wheels are extremely nice, I was toying with the idea of getting some Vossens on, but not sure if I can justify the price to the misses

Speak to a company called Motech performance - they stock loads of Maxton stuff, and will be able to advise on cars they’ve done before. They do tons of 1 series & 3 series upgrades, so I’m sure they’ll be able to sort you out. 

1 minute ago, Back2Beemer said:

Speak to a company called Motech performance - they stock loads of Maxton stuff, and will be able to advise on cars they’ve done before. They do tons of 1 series & 3 series upgrades, so I’m sure they’ll be able to sort you out. 

Nice one! I will be sure to drop them an email and see what they can do

I have seen what they did to the latest M135i and they made that think look unreal 

13 minutes ago, ellisc said:

Nice one! I will be sure to drop them an email and see what they can do

I have seen what they did to the latest M135i and they made that think look unreal 

agreed - the new M135 looks bang average out of the box, and they’ve made it look really good. 

Motech have a really good reputation, so hopefully they can sort you out.

Congrats on the new motor by the way!

4 minutes ago, Back2Beemer said:

agreed - the new M135 looks bang average out of the box, and they’ve made it look really good. 

Motech have a really good reputation, so hopefully they can sort you out.

Congrats on the new motor by the way!

Cheers! Couldn’t be any happier with the purchase such a great car.

Sent over an email to Motech hopefully can get the ball rolling and get some new additions added soon 

I’ll be sure to post some after pics

Looks good with the black grill but this area looks a bit odd to me:

image.png.2ad48379b0893d76f301640ca030bf95.png

Looks like a white piece has fallen off but it hasn't !

I have a white G31 on order and would like the black grill which I've has on several white cars including my current F11 but this is putting me off ..... 

3 minutes ago, SJL said:

Looks good with the black grill but this area looks a bit odd to me:

image.png.2ad48379b0893d76f301640ca030bf95.png

Looks like a white piece has fallen off but it hasn't !

I have a white G31 on order and would like the black grill which I've has on several white cars including my current F11 but this is putting me off ..... 

not going to lie I did not even realise that until you pointed it:lol:now I feel this needs fixing haha

possibly could get a gloss black wrap to hide it unsure! 

21 minutes ago, ellisc said:

not going to lie I did not even realise that until you pointed it:lol:now I feel this needs fixing haha

possibly could get a gloss black wrap to hide it unsure! 

Sorry about that !

2 minutes ago, SJL said:

Sorry about that !

Not to worry! Hopefully I forget it’s there haha

enjoy your new G31 there cracking cars and if you are getting the new iDrive 7 then your in for a serious ride got nothing but praise for it

the Harmon Kardon sound system is unbelievable aswell 

19 hours ago, ellisc said:

Great stuff! Aye know Pendle hill well it’s a common hike for us and amazing country roads through RV for taking the 5 down.

How you finding the hybrid? I toyed with the idea, but due to the amount of long distance driving I do it was not worth it.

I have to agree the M Sport Plus Pack & M Performance wheels are extremely nice, I was toying with the idea of getting some Vossens on, but not sure if I can justify the price to the misses

I wouldn't get the hybrid were it not for the brilliant tax advantages as a company car driver. I'd probably get a 530d or a 540i under normal circumstances. However I will say I do think it's a fantastic car. Through lockdown my average mpg is 74 at the moment due to the sheer volume of short in-range trips i'm doing. Those trips when I go outside of the electric range I'm in Sport with the gearbox in S apart from when cruising on motorways, and the economy is still stellar.

The HK system is great, but the HK in my F32 was much better. Same power but smaller cabin and somehow much punchier. I miss that system.

I'm slowly in the process of gathering capital to buy a used M2 outright. Given a year to 18 months that'll be the 'fun' car I have, and I'll likely replace the 530e with an i4 or similar.

The missus wants an M3 instead of the m2 because it has more doors!

On 8/5/2020 at 11:50 AM, ellisc said:

Hi All,

I recently picked up a UK 69 plate G31 520d xDrive and I have to say these things are awesome! Just looking to add some of my own touches to it
IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.3d40107f2ee34761b753a85ddbcabf0e.JPG

Grille
Firstly I have swapped out the chrome grille for this gloss black diamond one (honestly this thing looks unreal in person):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-G30-G31-G38-gloss-black-diamond-style-front-kidney-grilles-grille-grills-UK/274088791749?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AG31&hash=item3fd0f70ec5:g:I94AAOSwDM9engRT
IMG_2328.thumb.jpg.3d80f050ecfb5f9744364b1aeede0948.jpg

Wing Mirrors

The next thing I am looking to add is some M5 Look Gloss Black wing mirrors, so I found these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-Series-G30-G31-17-Black-Gloss-Wing-Mirror-Cover-Pair-Set-M5-Look-LHD/264644741519?epid=14035910908&hash=item3d9e0e498f:g:uR4AAOSwu4peAJuT

but apparently these only fit on a LHD G30/31 does anyone who has installed these or something similar in the UK had issues? or do you specifically need RHD wing mirror covers?

Front Splitter
Thinking of getting this:
https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/body-kits/bmw/bmw-5-series/bmw-5series-g30-g31/front-splitter-v2-bmw-5-g30-g31-msport
Found this company called Maxton Design that do some really nice stuff!

Side Skirts
https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/body-kits/bmw/bmw-5-series/bmw-5series-g30-g31/side-skirts-splitters-bmw-5-g30-g31-msport

Rear Diffuser
Found this on eBay and gotta say this thing looks like it will massively change the look of the rear end (not that it needs it, already great looking enough just want something that looks a bit more special)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-G30-G31-Performance-Gloss-Black-Rear-Bumper-Diffuser-5-Series-Splitter-STM-2/273830824178

Spoiler
I am unsure on this at the moment, seen people adding the AC spoiler I think it might be too much personally. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?
Another idea I had is to leave the factory fitted spoiler and possibly get the roof wrapped gloss black along with the spoiler...still pondering this

Would be awesome to see some other owners additions to there own cars, so please post below! Once I start adding in my other additions I will post some more pics

Ellis

Hi,

New to this forum - spend alot of time over on Bimmerpost! 

Firstly, nice looking car and you've selected some nice mods to do to it! I'm a big fan of black gloss compared to carbon. Like you, I will be fitting the Maxton kit and the STM rear diffuser.

I looked at the same mirror caps that you did for the LHD car. Reading online, some have said the LHD mirror caps don't really work with UK cars as the housing of the cap touches the mirror glass. I purchased the RHD ones and have had no issues. 

https://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/bmw-g30-g31-5-series-m5-look-gloss-black-mirror-covers/

43 minutes ago, Junebug85 said:

Hi,

New to this forum - spend alot of time over on Bimmerpost! 

Firstly, nice looking car and you've selected some nice mods to do to it! I'm a big fan of black gloss compared to carbon. Like you, I will be fitting the Maxton kit and the STM rear diffuser.

I looked at the same mirror caps that you did for the LHD car. Reading online, some have said the LHD mirror caps don't really work with UK cars as the housing of the cap touches the mirror glass. I purchased the RHD ones and have had no issues. 

https://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/bmw-g30-g31-5-series-m5-look-gloss-black-mirror-covers/

I personally think carbon looks a bit tacky, not a massive fan... just give

Agreed, carbon is just not for me! Give me that simple gloss black look all day long.

Did a lot of research into those wing mirror covers too and also found the same ones you have purchased, so good know you have had zero issue and they will be getting purchased soon! 

I was supposed to be getting all my mods done this side of Christmas, booked in my gloss black roof wrap, contacted Motech to get the Maxton parts installed...but COVID happened and had been a massive FU to us all...

Still going ahead with my plans just moving it to the new year and will be getting some new wheels also and looking into the M Performance Brake system because those red callipers with a set of new alloys and the white G31 just completes the look 

going to be expensive, but I have no intention of getting rid of the car as of yet so just going ahead with my plans and what I want!

Be cool to see how your car is coming along if you are happy to share! Been looking around online to see other people’s cars for idea etc 

1 hour ago, ellisc said:

Agreed, carbon is just not for me! Give me that simple gloss black look all day long.

Did a lot of research into those wing mirror covers too and also found the same ones you have purchased, so good know you have had zero issue and they will be getting purchased soon! 

I was supposed to be getting all my mods done this side of Christmas, booked in my gloss black roof wrap, contacted Motech to get the Maxton parts installed...but COVID happened and had been a massive FU to us all...

Still going ahead with my plans just moving it to the new year and will be getting some new wheels also and looking into the M Performance Brake system because those red callipers with a set of new alloys and the white G31 just completes the look 

going to be expensive, but I have no intention of getting rid of the car as of yet so just going ahead with my plans and what I want!

Be cool to see how your car is coming along if you are happy to share! Been looking around online to see other people’s cars for idea etc 

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing thr changes you have planned. What wheels are you looking at? 

I'm looking to get a new set and also change my tyres to non RFT MPS4S. Firstly though, I'm going to get the car lowered on MSS adjustable springs to get rid of the arch gap!

I've got a build thread on here:

My 540ix Bluestone Build https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751248

Most of my pics are also on Instagram: @project540ix

Edited by Junebug85

Recently picked up my Carbon black m sport G31, so interested in the look of your car with the front splitter and side skirts 

On 10/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, ellisc said:

Recently picked up my Carbon black m sport G31 so interested in the look of your car with the front splitter and side skirts.  

Are you considering lowering at any point 

7 minutes ago, 520d tourer said:

Recently picked up my Carbon black m sport G31, so interested in the look of your car with the front splitter and side skirts 

Recently picked up my Carbon black m sport G31 so interested in the look of your car with the front splitter and side skirts.  

Are you considering lowering at any point 

Apologies for never providing any further updates on this post! 

Due to covid and the impact it had on this fucked up world...unfortunately I ended up selling the car back to the BMW dealer ship I previously bought it from 12months prior. It was a sad day I loved that! I had no intentions of getting rid of it at all, the whole point of that car was for fuel and cost savings having previously came from a petrol and traveling stupid miles to and from the office. Well...I know work from home 75% of the time and the diesel was just sat on my drive and had racked up less then 8k miles in 12months the car was virtually brand new...I actually think the person who bought it ended up paying way more then I original did which is crazy!?!

So, yep sold the car back to the dealership and ended up actually making 2 grand on the car due to all the issues with new cars and semi-conductors...which luckily for me meant the value of used cars went up and even more so for cars that had a decent spec.

For around 6 months I had no car, which was good as this meant I had time to search high and low for a car I really did want, ended up finding an absolute gem at my local BMW dealer and due to a family member working their which made the deal even sweater

So, here it is my BMW F36 440i Gran Coupe
IMG_0082.JPG.c568a4a13f6acb9df285ea0e655126a3.JPG

Previous seriously spec'ed this car out!

Frozen Silver Paint £££££
M Performance 20" Wheels
Full M Performance Exterior Kit (Carbon Splitters & Spoiler)
M Performance Exhaust (Carbon Tips)
Harmon Kardon
Comfort Pack - Fully electric memory & heated front seats
Upgraded BMW Adaptive Headlights
list goes on tbh!

I knew if I was to ever get rid of the G31 it would have to be back to petrol and only for a 3.0 Petrol and the almighty B58. So, more than happy with my purchase and as-long as no other shit shows happen I will be keeping this indefinitely! Especially with all this electric BS coming too....you can't beat a combustion engine!

On 14/10/2021 at 16:15, ellisc said:

the almighty B58

you can't beat a combustion engine!

Absolutely!! :mrgreen:

Apologies for never providing any further updates on this post! 

Due to covid and the impact it had on this fucked up world...unfortunately I ended up selling the car back to the BMW dealer ship I previously bought it from 12months prior. It was a sad day I loved that! I had no intentions of getting rid of it at all, the whole point of that car was for fuel and cost savings having previously came from a petrol and traveling stupid miles to and from the office. Well...I know work from home 75% of the time and the diesel was just sat on my drive and had racked up less then 8k miles in 12months the car was virtually brand new...I actually think the person who bought it ended up paying way more then I original did which is crazy!?!

So, yep sold the car back to the dealership and ended up actually making 2 grand on the car due to all the issues with new cars and semi-conductors...which luckily for me meant the value of used cars went up and even more so for cars that had a decent spec.

For around 6 months I had no car, which was good as this meant I had time to search high and low for a car I really did want, ended up finding an absolute gem at my local BMW dealer and due to a family member working their which made the deal even sweater

So, here it is my BMW F36 440i Gran Coupe
IMG_0082.JPG.c568a4a13f6acb9df285ea0e655126a3.JPG

Previous seriously spec'ed this car out!

Frozen Silver Paint £££££
M Performance 20" Wheels
Full M Performance Exterior Kit (Carbon Splitters & Spoiler)
M Performance Exhaust (Carbon Tips)
Harmon Kardon
Comfort Pack - Fully electric memory & heated front seats
Upgraded BMW Adaptive Headlights
list goes on tbh!

I knew if I was to ever get rid of the G31 it would have to be back to petrol and only for a 3.0 Petrol and the almighty B58. So, more than happy with my purchase and as-long as no other shit shows happen I will be keeping this indefinitely! Especially with all this electric BS coming too....you can't beat a combustion engine!

Fairly sure I saw you (or a car v. similar) in Bury this weekend just gone.

Looks great in any case, enjoy :)

4 minutes ago, CFD said:

Fairly sure I saw you (or a car v. similar) in Bury this weekend just gone.

Looks great in any case, enjoy :)

Wasn't me pal! Interested if there is another one near by though as I know there is not too many knocking about another reason why I wanted it most people go for the Coupe 440 or just all out M4 wanted something a lil different!

Where actually based near Chorley, so likely will see us about some day!

Nice one! I intend to enjoy every minute in it (unless those eco warriors block the roads...)

2 minutes ago, ellisc said:

Wasn't me pal! Interested if there is another one near by though as I know there is not too many knocking about another reason why I wanted it most people go for the Coupe 440 or just all out M4 wanted something a lil different!

Where actually based near Chorley, so likely will see us about some day!

Nice one! I intend to enjoy every minute in it (unless those eco warriors block the roads...)

It was definitely a 440 GC with the MPE, but he was behind me so didn't get a proper look

all the best

23 hours ago, ellisc said:

unless those eco warriors block the roads..

Anyone else see the news article yesterday where a frustrated driver dragged one of them to the side of the road and tied him to the barrier with his own banner :mrgreen: