Sign in to follow this  
PhilipM

Tyre pressures

Just had a couple of new Michelin Primacy 4 tyres fitted to rear of my 530d. Standard 16in wheels so 225/55/16 tyres.

Haven't had the car long (1500km) but noticed front tyres were wearing a bit on both outside edges both sides. Since I've had car I run at 2.1 front and 2.4 rear (as per book recommendation) so thought I'd ask fitter to have a look. He said tyres have been under-inflated and said to run at 2.4 front as well. I will try this but am nevertheless intrigued that BMW should recommend 2.1, particularly as there is a slight heavier front weight bias on this model.

Thoughts or experiences?

Cheers

Phili

1 hour ago, PhilipM said:

Just had a couple of new Michelin Primacy 4 tyres fitted to rear of my 530d. Standard 16in wheels so 225/55/16 tyres.

Haven't had the car long (1500km) but noticed front tyres were wearing a bit on both outside edges both sides. Since I've had car I run at 2.1 front and 2.4 rear (as per book recommendation) so thought I'd ask fitter to have a look. He said tyres have been under-inflated and said to run at 2.4 front as well. I will try this but am nevertheless intrigued that BMW should recommend 2.1, particularly as there is a slight heavier front weight bias on this model.

Thoughts or experiences?

Cheers

Phili

Each tyre will act differently, manufacturers pressure chart is just guidance not mandatory. There are tens of factors which will make changes. Main ones are: passenger quantity, load in car; tyre structure itself, some have harder sidewalls than others; then your driving habits, maybe you are going faster around turns and roundabouts, this will wear edges as well. Condition of suspension arms and bushings. For example worn out rose bushings will cause inner edges to wear a lot faster on rear wheels. The same about front axle, everything that's worn out will cause premature tyre wear. I used to run the same size 225/55r16 on my touring with 2.7bar in all 4 wheels, never liked how car is acting with manufacturer's suggested pressure in tyres. Now I'm running 235/45r17 with 3bar in them. You can feel little bit more potholes, but roads aren't too bad around my area, and driving through potholes anyway is a bad habit, so I'm just trying to avoid them. 

So to you I can suggest to inspect suspension system, make sure wheel alignment/tracking is correct, and increase pressure. 2.1 bar is suggested for vw golf as well, but obviously they are two different weight cars.

Completely agree with that - I've always been much happier with the 'feel', steering weighting /progression, the turn-in etc running up toward the full load/full speed recommendations. 235 on front, 265s rear, and like Ray112, prefer them at 2.9-3bar all round.

I've put >80k miles across two e39s so far using premium tyres and had very good tyre life and even wear used like this (a set of Michelin PS3, then of PS4, and current e39 has Avons on - will go to PS4 this autumn, when they'lll be down to c 3mm anyway

Edited by Huff

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick to around 2.4-2.5 bar all round then and see how that goes. 

Cheers

Philip