Taxboy

Any 530e owners out there

I'm currently running an F10 520D but with impending retirement believe a PHEV will suit my needs. For those owners could you please be kind enough to share your experience of living with the car good, bad or ugly. It would also be helpful if you could advise what your previous vehicle was and a comparison.

Finally (I'm not asking much !!) did you test out any other models before choosing the BMW. I'm toying with the idea I may not need the size of the 5 series so considering a 330e or ....... whisper this a Volvo S60 T8

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I previously had a 420d xdrive. I test drove the Volvo S90 T8 when looking at the 530e, the 330e had gone EOL before i was looking so don't know what they are like. Overall it's a great car to live with but the limited electric range does present some questions in value prospect.

What sort of mileage are you likely to do? Early 530e models do 16-18 miles on a full charge, whilst newer ones do 25-29 (?) i think.

Oh and the Volvo T8 was fast as fuck, but it was such a boring drive - no feel in it at all. And once the battery runs dry it's front wheel drive

Edited by CFD

Hi,

I previously had a 420d xdrive. I test drove the Volvo S90 T8 when looking at the 530e, the 330e had gone EOL before i was looking so don't know what they are like. Overall it's a great car to live with but the limited electric range does present some questions in value prospect.

What sort of mileage are you likely to do? Early 530e models do 16-18 miles on a full charge, whilst newer ones do 25-29 (?) i think.

Oh and the Volvo T8 was fast as fnuk fnar, but it was such a boring drive - no feel in it at all. And once the battery runs dry it's front wheel drive
Thanks for your helpful comments. I didn't realise the earlier version did such low electric mileage. Around 30 miles electric would work for me as it would cover pootling around generally. Full electric doesn't quite work yet with the lack of a standardised charging structure for the times when doing short but longer distance breaks - nearly said weekend but realised soon that won't apply to me

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Taxboy said:

Thanks for your helpful comments. I didn't realise the earlier version did such low electric mileage. Around 30 miles electric would work for me as it would cover pootling around generally. Full electric doesn't quite work yet with the lack of a standardised charging structure for the times when doing short but longer distance breaks - nearly said weekend but realised soon that won't apply to me emoji3.png

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Yeah be aware of that. I have a 68 plate 530e and the biggest the range has shown is 19 miles I think. If you do a combined run you get really good economy to be fair, and the car is fairly nippy when you put your foot down.

If you have charging at home and a lot of journeys fall within ~30 miles of your house then it's great - and to be fair, if you do a 60 mile trip you're still going to get decent fuel usage as the electric will fill the gaps unless in max eDrive.

I think it largely comes down to the types of journeys you do. If you do hugely long trips without going anywhere near a charger your economy will be poor as you effectively have a 520i with a lot more weight

I have a Nov 19 car - the uprated battery is on cars made from July 19. I always get over 20 miles and mostly over 25, the greatest being 29. I really like the car but the ID7 interface is incomplete (see other posts). I previously had Merc’s - last one was an E350e and before a C350e both plug-ins.

The Merc’s had the same range as the pre-uprated 530e’s - nearer 10 than 15 miles. I bought them as they were very tax efficient, not for their fuel efficiency.

If you can get a post July 19 car then I think you will find it a great car for regularly doing 30 mile trips. It’s often forgotten that the electric motor in the 530e provides roughly the same acceleration as a 530d but will easily average over 60 mpg on trips up to 50 miles - but you really need to charge it to make it economic, otherwise it’s a 2.0l car dragging around heavy batteries. The government still provides a grant for a home charger which takes about 3 hours for a full charge. 

I much preferred the Mercedes infotainment and screens and tried to buy a new E350 but the build time was 9 months. I have had 6 Merc’s from new and this is my first BMW and probably not my last. BMW quoted 3 months and achieved it. 

It’s a good time to buy - I was offered a new 740e all optioned up with a £ 25k discount from the same dealer I bought my 530e from last November. BUT he could only offer £ 30k for my car which cost £ 56k (listed at £ 66k with virtually every option) which means it melted by £ 26k in 10 months as I was going to change on 1st Sept. The thieves at WeBuyAnyCar website offered £ 28k which should mean you should get what you want at a great price. 

I would suggest you arrange a test drive over a couple of days to ensure it’s the right car for retirement. One thing I would caution is be sure to understand which options the car comes with - they can be very expensive on a new one and hard to find on used as so many of the 530e’s are ex company / lease cars with few options. 

Everything I have read about the 330e vs 530e says that there isn’t any comparison if your looking for luxury it’s the 530e but for driving joy it’s the 330e. I’m 6’ 2” so I went with the 5 and E Class, although I didn’t find the C350e too small (Merc’s sunroofs open upwards so improve headroom). 

Good Luck sorting it and probably heresy here but ?I would suggest you cast your eye over a C350e and E300e