Bigcarman79

Glowplugs- replacement cost

That sounds fair. 

There is decent amount time in removing parts to get the inlet manifold off to get to the plugs.

I know on my N57 (530D) access to the glow plug controller is MUCH easier whilst also doing the plugs, maybe worthwhile getting it done at the same time (was about £85 for Beru controller)?
Worth doing the plugs and the controller at the same time as in my experience if the plugs go the controller is not far behind and vice-versa.

No need to remove the inlet manifold the plugs will come out with out removing much. I changed mine in around half an hour. It's no harder than changing spark plugs. Just do it with a warm engine and soak them in lots of penetrating oil before hand. It's a hold new world of pain if one of the glow

plugs snaps...

13 minutes ago, fuzzyedges said:

No need to remove the inlet manifold the plugs will come out with out removing much. I changed mine in around half an hour. It's no harder than changing spark plugs. Just do it with a warm engine and soak them in lots of penetrating oil before hand. It's a hold new world of pain if one of the glow

plugs snaps...

That's good news - the older M47 engine required the inlet manifold to be removed first - this makes the N47 and N57 much easier :) 

1 hour ago, fuzzyedges said:

plugs snaps...

What did you do about telling the car it had new ones fitted?

Sounds expensive to me as well I just found an old receipt for 4 Beru glowplugs for a 1.6d engine whilst ii was back in 2017 for £58 +vat from Auto Doc, I also fitted at the same time a new control unit but I have mislaid the receipt from memory I think it was around £40 - £50.

Beru glowplugs were also the original glow plugs from new unfortunately two had failed at 36,700 miles, and not wanting to chance the next two failing I replaced all four along with a new control unit.

I soaked the around the orfice of the glowplugs with WD 40 penetrating fluid and drove it for about half hour, purchased a accurate low torque reading torque wrench and set it to below the maximum torque setting given by Beru, and gently removed each glow plug with a laser glowplug socket, it should be noted that Beru do not recommend applying anything on the glow plug threads during fitting, and should be fitted as is out the packet, their reasoning with anything applied to the threads you would not get the correct torque and could snap them by over torqueing.

Providing you take extra care removing the old ones its an easy job, but would recommend you have the correct tools for the job.

1 hour ago, Bigcarman79 said:

Thanks for the replies, i will probably tackle it myself. I thought £220 sounded a bit steep but wasnt sure. 

Can coding them only be done via ISTA?

I had that in my old 530d was only controller not plugs 

12 hours ago, Bigcarman79 said:

Thanks for the replies, i will probably tackle it myself. I thought £220 sounded a bit steep but wasnt sure. 

Can coding them only be done via ISTA?

On the 1.6d BMW mini engine there was no coding needed, but from what  I recall in discussions on this forum in the past the 520d does need coding with Ista.