79rich79

530d F11 - Slight rumbling noise when slowing (only at slow speed) any suggestions?

Hello all, new to this forum and new to owning a 5-series, so please excuse any stupid comments I might make!

I've recently bought a used 530d F11 (auto gearbox), it's a 2012 with around 65k miles. The car's great, and overall I'm more than happy, but I do have an issue that may or may not be a problem. I'd appreciate anyone's advice or suggestions, especially if they've experienced something similar.

When slowing down and reaching a speed of around 15-20mph, I hear a small rumbling noise and feel a tiny vibration. I also notice that the car decelerates a little at the same time as the noise is present (like you'd only just touched the brake pedal very gently, but I'm not braking). Also, the noise is cyclic and not constant, lasting only a few seconds and occuring maybe once or twice from 20mph until the car is almost stationary. The rumble/deceleration lasts for more than one rotation of the wheels, typically around 2-seconds in duration during which the car covers something like 4-5 car lengths of distance. The noise will then stop, then a second or two later it will start again. This problem (if it is a problem?) occurs when I'm not braking but when I'm coasting down to a slow speed. I would say the timing of the noise/deceleration seems to coincide with the autobox changing down, but it lasts longer than any gear change and I don't feel any knocks or jerks. It's hard to place the source of the noise as it's fairly quiet, but if I had to guess I'd say maybe the exhaust? 

I've dabbed the brakes when the noise is present -  but it makes no difference to the noise.

I only get this at slow speeds/low gears as described above. At all other speeds, everything is fine all the time

I'm pretty sure it only occurs when the engine is cold and I'm withing the first couple of miles of the journey. Once the car's running at normal temps I don't seem to get it anymore.

It occurs regularly at the start of journeys (I mean to say, it's not an intermittent issue).

I've tried putting the gear shift into sport mode, and I don't seem to get this problem (although I may need to try this more often to be 100% on this)

I've tried manually selecting the gears with the paddle shift and holding second gear until the car comes to a stop. This seems to stop it occurring, but not all the time, it is difficult to be certain because often the gearbox will automatically revert back to full-auto when the rpm drops too low and it wants to change gear.

In all the above the car's been in normal/comfort setting.

I'm not sure if this is normal (?), but it does feel kinda weird and not something I ever got driving my old work's E61 which was also a 530d with auto transmission. My car has the efficient dynamics system and I was wondering if this maybe has something to do with it? Also, I've read something about exhaust valves in these cars, opening/shutting to cut emissions or help warm the engine quicker? I don't really understand their operation, but could this be the cause?

Sorry for such a long post

A rumbling sound is usually produced by a worn bearing.

Your noise happens when the car is regenerating the battery.

Regeneration  happens when you decelerate, and especially after start up,

I would check the bearing on the alternator as this is under more stress at this time and all the bearings connected to that drive belt.

Somewhere to start looking I think

Thanks for the reply, what you said makes a lot of sense sense. I have noticed that the noise is happening when the Efficient Dynamics bar on the instrument panel goes into the blue band. Might be coincidence, but definitely worth checking!