Liam2594

M Sport gloss black bumper trim

Afternoon,

Exterior trim that goes around the fogs and sits in-between the front grill, has anyone else noticed that fading? Mine is going more a dull black/shiny grey colour. It's never seen a hand car wash and I'm the only one who's ever cleaned it and in fairness, use sensible stuff. Just seems to be fading, anyone else has this issue?

Seems strange. There might be overspray on it? 
The gloss black trim is very soft and is easily scratched which can dull it too. 

mine is just the eyebrows on the front bumper, they are starting to change from gloss black to a more dull grey colour. strange, the left one is worse than the right one, but they have both started to fade.

I didn’t get it resolved no, but they now look awful. The one in between the grill is now basically just grey. I’ll get them noted at service time. 

Got a service due in the next couple of thousand miles, so will ask the question then. They look completely grey now to be honest.

My G31 is too new to experience this issue. However, my previous 2014 F55 Mini had such issue before I bought it in 2017. It's faded to light grey colour when I viewed the car. Dealer replaced it before the handover. I think it's related to the UV damage. If most of it's life is facing the sun directly, then it's more likely to fade. 

I would try a light polish on them to see if it brings any colour back, and get some paint protection on them, even just s cheapish ceramic coating. 

Edited by ally
edit

9 minutes ago, ally said:

I would try a light polish on them to see if it brings any colour back, and get some paint protection on them, even just s cheapish ceramic coating. 

Worth a shot. You might find that it’s a combination of fading and surface deterioration due to sunlight. On paintwork the old Tcut can cut through the fading but I’m not sure what would be best on plastic.

Top right on picture below. Also same between front kidney grills. Got brake fluid service July so hoping they will sort under warranty.

C9016382-BFDB-44A3-9325-D214E8CAB7C8.jpeg

Edited by rrm
More info

Thanks all, I just talk to BMW service here today, and will bring the car for their checking on Thu, see what they say and offer, will update you here for reference. 

Jet wash, snow foam, leave 10-20 mins, rinse with jet wash, wash with two bucket, dry with micro fibre, polish with R222 wax, seal with vinyl sealent(can’t remember the name atm) alloys with bilberry. 
Assure you there not scratches. 

10 hours ago, ally said:

That looks like s lot of fine scratches to me, which is dulling it. 
How do you wash the car? 

I just use normal portable water to wash, thanks!

Portable  water? Sorry I don’t know what that is. 
I was meaning what method do you use, do you use a good quality shampoo and wash mitt, two bucket method etc? 
Had the car ever been through a swirlmatic wash? Or washed by the local roadside car wash, or car parks etc? 

2 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

I think he means potable. 

Yes, sorry typo. Just been the service center, they agree to replace it, as even the maintenance team have no other way to rectify them..

On 08/06/2021 at 19:27, rrm said:

Assure you there not scratches. 

No worries, sorry it’s hard to tell from the pictures, these things take a lot of abuse at the front end, debris and crap in the air etc, and they are very soft. 
Does the car get parked facing the sun perhaps? 
Mines are still black but are ceramic coated and the car doesn’t really get parked facing the sun.