edd_jedi

CarPlay & Android Auto Retrofit Installation and Review

On 15/08/2021 at 17:30, mpgscott said:

Thanks for the help Edd, it was the newer one that David had sent me that i tried and since this its been asking for a pin that is not working with 1368 so not sure what pin i need to enter.

Dont suppose anyone else has updated to this later version and had this issue of the need to enter a pin?

bmw_20210703.zip is the one i tried.

Subsequently tried all the other versions and same outcome i need to enter a pin.

Regarding your PIN issue, have you tried the other ones mentioned in different forums? 5025, 2863, 8032?

Also, has anyone managed to get Android Auto working wirelessly? Is there a trick? Perhaps even with the new update? The guys from the support sent me the 20210703 update... anyone using it already? 

3 hours ago, jaypay said:

Regarding your PIN issue, have you tried the other ones mentioned in different forums? 5025, 2863, 8032?

Also, has anyone managed to get Android Auto working wirelessly? Is there a trick? Perhaps even with the new update? The guys from the support sent me the 20210703 update... anyone using it already? 

Hi,

Yes i did i tried all of these others.

What i needed to do was take a picture of the QR code then send this to Andream support who then generated a 6 digit pin to authorise the unit.  After this its all working again.

Thanks

Mark

8 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Hi,

Yes i did i tried all of these others.

What i needed to do was take a picture of the QR code then send this to Andream support who then generated a 6 digit pin to authorise the unit.  After this its all working again.

Thanks

Mark

Ah okay, great that  you figured it out. 

Did any new functions come along with the new update? Or just backend stability fixes? How's it working?

(Also, do you know if android Auto works wirelessly now by any chance?)

6 minutes ago, jaypay said:

Ah okay, great that  you figured it out. 

Did any new functions come along with the new update? Or just backend stability fixes? How's it working?

(Also, do you know if android Auto works wirelessly now by any chance?)

I’m sorry I’m away from home and my son has the car so I don’t know to be honest.

from what I’m told the old Bluetooth/wireless function that was working no longer works.  This is on apple I’m afraid.

Will try and find out how it’s behaving and let you know.

11 hours ago, mpgscott said:

I’m sorry I’m away from home and my son has the car so I don’t know to be honest.

from what I’m told the old Bluetooth/wireless function that was working no longer works.  This is on apple I’m afraid.

Will try and find out how it’s behaving and let you know.

Thanks for your reply. This doesn't sound very good.....

Has anyone else tried the newest firmware update? 

22 hours ago, jaypay said:

Has anyone else tried the newest firmware update? 

No, I've got it but as mine is working almost as I want it I'm reluctant to update and potentially introduce new problems. Apart from the stuttering audio over wireless, the October 2020 firmware is rock solid with no other bugs that I'm aware of.

I'm very happy with the system and for the money it's amazing. 

Only issue is it frequently disconnects from my wired android. 

Anyone else suffering from this problem?

Was there an android auto update that stopped you being able to use Bluetooth without the phone connected via cable? Up until today I could connect my Samsung to the car kit via Bluetooth and play Spotify etc. Tried today and it wouldn't connect unless I physically connected it and used it through android auto on the screen. Disappointing if its an update. 

I use android auto connected with cable, but phone uses Bluetooth for calls and music streaming.  Cable is needed for Spotify and maps. The cable drops intermittently but phone calls still come through. 

28 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

It worked as a Bluetooth receiver i.e I could connect my phone to the Bluetooth kit on the unit and just paly music wirelessly through the speakers. Android auto, navigation etc would only work once connected via the cable though. 

53 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

I see, I didn't know you could just connect via Bluetooth

Yeah was handy to have and now it seems to be gone

10 hours ago, iReaper1157 said:

Anyone in here have the reversing camera on a 61? Wondering if it would help me reverse up to my caravan for hitching up. 

Yes I've got one installed in the boot handle on my E61. It was a nightmare to fit (5 hours!) but the view is good, you would be able to see the towbar.

camera.jpg.cb519cf8927880281692d9d94228c726.jpg

Edited by edd_jedi

The lens is on the side of the handle so the towbar, visible slightly off centre.

But makes it very easy to line up the ball with the hitch.

I did speed installation and left the cable loose around the hatch and just tucked it out of sight.

16342883948022451147732079658817.jpg

16342884553166130698113153771380.jpg

Yes it was running it through the bodywork and hinge that took ages, had to remove almost all of the bootlid trim and the rear speakers etc, was a nightmare. With hindsight would have taken your route!

16 hours ago, edd_jedi said:

Yes I've got one installed in the boot handle on my E61. It was a nightmare to fit (5 hours!) but the view is good, you would be able to see the towbar.

camera.jpg.cb519cf8927880281692d9d94228c726.jpg

I have a reverse camera too and I can confirm its is really very clear. The only issue is it takes a good 10-15 seconds to switch back to Android Auto after a reverse routine and I haven't yet figured a way to make it switch back quicker.

8 hours ago, babzillan said:

I have a reverse camera too and I can confirm its is really very clear. The only issue is it takes a good 10-15 seconds to switch back to Android Auto after a reverse routine and I haven't yet figured a way to make it switch back quicker.

Yes, I just press the PDC button.

8 hours ago, babzillan said:

I think the car has to move 50 meters before it automatically reverts back to the previous screen or just press the PDC button as edd_jedi said.