edd_jedi

CarPlay & Android Auto Retrofit Installation and Review

1 hour ago, edd_jedi said:

No you would need the full Android unit for that.

So a new touch screen type one needed then, thanks for confirming.

50 minutes ago, 5SPORT said:

So a new touch screen type one needed then, thanks for confirming.

This one is touch screen, the fundamental diffence is that aside from a basic 'boot' menu it mirrors your phone using either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. It's a more seamless experience. The full Android units are more flexible, but it's more like sticking a tablet in your car with its own apps etc (and therefore needs its own network connection etc.) You can also use Android Auto or CarPlay on the full Android units, but it's a bit more clunky.

Hi folks,

So second attempt at fitting an andream unit today.  All installed and working original screen full colour this time happy days.  I also logged into the factory settings and changed the screen size over and all working.

Couple of issues, when connected to the USB i seem to be getting broken sound.  So will play then stop then play again then stops any ideas what this could be?  I read somewhere about a possible update how do we get this?

Also the i-driver wheel seems to be intermittent it sometimes seems to control then stutters if this makes sense?

Sound, i seem to have all the sound on the left hand speakers, if i go back into original car setup and move the fader more to the right then when the andream plays it sounds more balanced.  Its not a problem with the car as when i go onto original settings i get nice even sound on original radio or CD and all connections are spot on.

So just a few little pieces to try and sort out but if i can get the sound to stream all the time that would be great.  I am wondering if its a setting as there is a couple of CCC options i have tried both doesnt seem to make a difference.  Will also try another Apple cable to the USB in case its that.

Last one, when i turn on the ignition i get a red service warning, on checking the car with ISTA-D i am now getting a warning 'S0078 No comms with the Central Information Display' so take it this is some loop test to the original display unit and with it now swapped out i will keep getting this?  Clears after few seconds but the red warning in ISTA is worrying, but makes sense if the display is no longer there then this will show up.

Any thoughts much appreciated, im now away to trawl through this post to see if any of it has been brought up before.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by mpgscott

Glad you got it working second time round! Lots of questions there - you need to email Andream's support to ask for the software update (address on their website.) I found music stuttered when using Apple Maps, mine never does it using Google maps with a cable, but does still do it when wireless. If the iDrive wheel isn't working correct trying changing iDrive A to B (or vice versa) in factory settings. Uneven audio balance would indicate a wiring issue to me, maybe the left speaker cables not plugged in properly? Finally the CID warning in ISTA is normal and nothing to worry about, however mine never warns about it in iDrive so not sure why yours is.

7 hours ago, edd_jedi said:

Glad you got it working second time round! Lots of questions there - you need to email Andream's support to ask for the software update (address on their website.) I found music stuttered when using Apple Maps, mine never does it using Google maps with a cable, but does still do it when wireless. If the iDrive wheel isn't working correct trying changing iDrive A to B (or vice versa) in factory settings. Uneven audio balance would indicate a wiring issue to me, maybe the left speaker cables not plugged in properly? Finally the CID warning in ISTA is normal and nothing to worry about, however mine never warns about it in iDrive so not sure why yours is.

Thanks, no mine isn’t warning in I drive sorry if I wrote that.  Mine is just on dash between clocks when ignition on I get a red service light at switch on for a few seconds saying ‘service’ in red now which didn’t happen before installing.

wiring all seems nice and tight, can’t see what it would do if wire wasn’t fully seated as if I balance to the right it sounds fine very odd..

I bought this unit off one of the forum members so not sure Andream will answer me on update request, if anyone could send the file that be great, take it you copy onto pen drive and run that way?

thanks

mark

Sorry that's what I mean, mine doesn't warn on the dash anywhere, the CID error is only visible in ISTA. I haven't heard of anyone else having a visible warning about it. It might be something else triggering the service light and just a coincidence?

I have the update file but would be wary of giving it to you as I believe there are different firmware versions depending on the year of your car etc, 
Andream ask for your car details before sending the firmware file. You could potentially brick your unit if it's the wrong one. You can check which firmware version you have in factory settings, post a screenshot and I'll tell you if it is the latest version.

Edited by edd_jedi

Cheers Ed,

I will get the version, car is down with my son so will have him check.

On the sound being biased to the left I seem to recall the last one was the same, so even with the screen not working on original the rest worked fine but the sound was biased to the left which is odd.

this is the firmware on it.  Son has just confirmed it’s very jumpy the sound on abs off when wired connection used.

Another one what’s this plug for?  I couldn’t see anywhere on the headset or harness assembly to accept it.

50A76DA0-8713-4A5E-BFAF-8E6D5DD7A674.jpeg

45AC9863-52B4-46A9-9B1D-62A75FA47F5C.png

Edited by mpgscott

2 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Another one what’s this plug for?  I couldn’t see anywhere on the headset or harness assembly to accept it.

I don't recall mine having that plug, according to this diagram it is for the CIC connection, which is only on 2009+ cars. You said you bought this from a forum member, did you ask them what car it was from? As there are different units and looms depending om year and model of your car, so unless they match that's probably what your issues are...

ewaying_8050816a-d08c-4de5-9647-b1d34238

Yep, I spoke to him his was a newer model LCI 520d but with CCC system so we thought they would be the same.

I can’t see what difference it would make for the USB lead to be stuttering the sound.  It’s totally plausible but would be odd.  Unit works from what I can see so not sure.

cheers for finding that info though 

Edited by mpgscott

2 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Cheers Ed,

I will get the version, car is down with my son so will have him check.

On the sound being biased to the left I seem to recall the last one was the same, so even with the screen not working on original the rest worked fine but the sound was biased to the left which is odd.

this is the firmware on it.  Son has just confirmed it’s very jumpy the sound on abs off when wired connection used.

50A76DA0-8713-4A5E-BFAF-8E6D5DD7A674.jpeg

45AC9863-52B4-46A9-9B1D-62A75FA47F5C.png

That plug is redundant, not needed :)

Hi Folks,

Just for info, i was in touch with Andream and it would seem there is a newer version of firmware, as Edd has mentioned earlier not sure if all units are compatible but didnt want to post the link.  If anyone would like me to send them it get in touch that or give Andream a shout to check.

A question now, has anyone experienced distortion the louder you crank up the volume either on wired or wifi as the link?  This is getting reported via my son who has the car currently but he was saying no matter if he cranks up the iphone volume the louder you go (and done mean excessively loud or near full pelt) the sound is very distorted.  Sounds fine when you revert back to original car idrive but using spotify or music off the iphone its not great.  Just thought i would ask in case anyone else is experiencing similar or has a work around?

Thanks

Mark

6 minutes ago, mpgscott said:

A question now, has anyone experienced distortion the louder you crank up the volume either on wired or wifi as the link?  This is getting reported via my son who has the car currently but he was saying no matter if he cranks up the iphone volume the louder you go (and done mean excessively loud or near full pelt) the sound is very distorted.  Sounds fine when you revert back to original car idrive but using spotify or music off the iphone its not great.  Just thought i would ask in case anyone else is experiencing similar or has a work around?

Yep not sure if you saw my message, but ask him to try turning the volume down in factory settings on the Andream. Anything over around three quarters, and it will distort.

Just stumbled upon this thread.  Some fantastic info on here.  

I'm very tempted to pick one of these up for my 2007 E61.  

I have a couple of quick questions if anyone can help.  

1. Anybody installed one of these to a car that previously used a Dension unit?  That is my current set up and although I'm not bothered about retaining the dension, I suspect I'll need to to avoid breaking the fibre optic loop.  I guess it can just sit there unused though.  

2. I read a couple of posts that suggested that the track skip buttons on the steering wheel don't work with apple carplay.  Is that still the case?  I really don't like the idea of having to reach up to the screen all the time.  

2 minutes ago, gad-westy said:

Just stumbled upon this thread.  Some fantastic info on here.  

I'm very tempted to pick one of these up for my 2007 E61.  

I have a couple of quick questions if anyone can help.  

1. Anybody installed one of these to a car that previously used a Dension unit?  That is my current set up and although I'm not bothered about retaining the dension, I suspect I'll need to to avoid breaking the fibre optic loop.  I guess it can just sit there unused though.  

2. I read a couple of posts that suggested that the track skip buttons on the steering wheel don't work with apple carplay.  Is that still the case?  I really don't like the idea of having to reach up to the screen all the time.  

1. No but I do have the OEM Alpine iPod kit which also sits on the MOST network, and it doesn't interfere.
  2. The steering wheel buttons were fixed in the Octoboer 2020 firmware update, so if the one you buy doesn't have it you just need to update via USB.

7 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

1. No but I do have the OEM Alpine iPod kit which also sits on the MOST network, and it doesn't interfere.
  2. The steering wheel buttons were fixed in the Octoboer 2020 firmware update, so if the one you buy doesn't have it you just need to update via USB.

Wow, that was quick!  Thanks.  Seems like a no brainer then.  

I presume this is the same unit being discussed on this thread?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254930997272?hash=item3b5b125018:g:ki0AAOSwbzZgWz8v

Edited by gad-westy

Hmm, bit confused now.  The ebay seller for the above link has stated that it only works with CIC equipped cars.  My car is CCC I believe.  Are there two different types of unit?  

Yes they are different, you cannot use a CIC unit in a CCC car as the wiring is completely different. The unit for CCC that this thread is focused on is below. I can't comment on what features a different unit will have as although they are likely all fundamentally the same hardware, they could have different software or wiring etc

https://www.android-car-dvd.de/products/8-8-wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-head-unit-multimedia-for-bmw-series3-5-e60-e61-e63-e64-m5-e90-e91-e92-e93-m3?_pos=1&_sid=563236e18&_ss=r

Edited by edd_jedi

Thanks @edd_jedi

Your help much appreciated. Must admit I was hoping to find one in the UK as would have been nice to get it installed before we go on holiday next week.  And despite assurances to the contrary, every time i buy stuff from the EU at present I get hammered with unexpected charges.  But I'd rather buy the right unit from the elsewhere than the wrong one in the UK! 

On 7/26/2021 at 9:23 AM, gad-westy said:

Wow, that was quick!  Thanks.  Seems like a no brainer then.  

I presume this is the same unit being discussed on this thread?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254930997272?hash=item3b5b125018:g:ki0AAOSwbzZgWz8v

Not only is that unit for CIC equipped cars, it is an interface to the original screen (not a replacement screen) so you're stuck with the factory resolution, presumably non-IPS screen, and no touchscreen. Personally I'd much rather have the replacement screen and gain all of those features.

Hi folks, had a play with the settings in mine and its still all biased to one side the passenger.  On original car the speakers all work fine and if i set the balance to compensate to the right then you loose volume but it equals out.  Tried to tweak the settings on the andream menu and it doesnt really change so going to try a firmware update to see if that sorts it.  Dont think its wiring since the original car is working correctly.

Got the idrive knob working correctly.

Mine only seems to work well on wireless the wired comes and goes very odd.

I upgraded mine as per andream instructions now it’s showing this image and  pin 1368 doesn’t do anything.

its also reverted back to the wrong screen for original car

also the qr code doesn’t take me to anything any ideas

CC4A02AE-1C2A-4CE0-AF44-BAA538E2E8A0.jpeg

Edited by mpgscott

I think it's unlikely the audio balance issue is software related, it's almost certainly either going to be wiring or a hardware issue with the unit. I didn't see the screen you show after a firmware update, but any fimware update also acts as a factory reset so you will have to change all settings again.

Dam, so I have some different screen after firmware update?

Not sure what I can try as I’ve tried to install a couple of times.

Which firmware file did you install? I have three versions that Tang has sent me, the one I currently have installed is:

bmw_20201012_24G.rar

Which as you can tell from the filename is the 12/10/2020 software version. I also have these 2 later versions:

bmw_20201109-ui2-2.4g-2.zip (09/11/2020)

bmw_20210703.zip (03/07/2021)

I haven't tried installing either of these yet as mine is currently working 99% how I want it to and don't want to risk breaking it.

Thanks for the help Edd, it was the newer one that David had sent me that i tried and since this its been asking for a pin that is not working with 1368 so not sure what pin i need to enter.

Dont suppose anyone else has updated to this later version and had this issue of the need to enter a pin?

bmw_20210703.zip is the one i tried.

Subsequently tried all the other versions and same outcome i need to enter a pin.