edd_jedi

CarPlay & Android Auto Retrofit Installation and Review

On 4/22/2021 at 9:49 AM, Duff said:

Cheers. I can only find the option to turn on nightmode indefinitely not automatically. I'll have to do some more digging. 

I think there are issues with Android auto on android 10 and above (android and android auto switching between night and day have been detached from eachbother)as mine will not switch to night mode either. The only way it can be done is for me is to go into maps and selected night. The developer controls in android auto (now a system app rather than a playstore app) have no effect at all. Andream doesn't respond to headlamp l, well mine doesn't so ....

Hi, my car has voice control with the voice button next to the menu button behind the idrive controller. will this unit work with this setup and has anybody installed the unit that has voice control,

thanks

The voice control button works better with andream than the factory system. 

Use for phone, nav and Spotify. 

All work well.

I ended up purchasing and installing the unit, music sound quality is good but the waze/google maps directions sound quality is very poor, rather confusing, anyone know how to fix this?

Hi all,

I am a newbie to BMW's and I have just purchased a 520d 2009 plate. The stereo is extremely poor and clearly I need to upgrade it. I mostly use spotify to stream my music and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of what stereo to upgrade it to? I have installed stereos in my other cars but I am thinking this one is beyond my capabilities so can anyone suggest an installer in Birmingham? Thanks in advance for any replies.

1 hour ago, papabear365 said:

I am a newbie to BMW's and I have just purchased a 520d 2009 plate. The stereo is extremely poor and clearly I need to upgrade it. I mostly use spotify to stream my music and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of what stereo to upgrade it to? I have installed stereos in my other cars but I am thinking this one is beyond my capabilities so can anyone suggest an installer in Birmingham? Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you want Spotify in your car, assuming you use either an iPhone or Android phone, then this CarPlay system for £206 is the biggest bang for buck:

https://www.android-car-dvd.de/products/8-8-wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-head-unit-multimedia-for-bmw-series3-5-e60-e61-e63-e64-m5-e90-e91-e92-e93-m3?_pos=1&_sid=563236e18&_ss=r

There are more expensive full Android systems starting at about £325 but unless you want any of the specific features they offer, it's overkill. If you've installed other car stereos before you will have no problem doing this. If you don't want to spend £200 then your only options are things like AUX cables or Bluetooth transmitters which are much cheaper but offer no display on the screen (or steering wheels controls for AUX.) It's definitely the best investment I've made in my car, can't praise it enough.

On 15/05/2021 at 16:05, eezeh said:

I ended up purchasing and installing the unit, music sound quality is good but the waze/google maps directions sound quality is very poor, rather confusing, anyone know how to fix this?

Does it sound like the navigation audio is coming through a telephone? What phone are you using?

11 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

Does it sound like the navigation audio is coming through a telephone? What phone are you using?

Sort of? the aural directions sound very heavily compressed and low quality whilst the spotify audio quality is near the same as the original idrive / logic 7 quality.

I have a google pixel 4a

Sorry not sure then, sounds like it may be a setting on the phone. I use an iPhone and navigation audio is fine. The reason I ask is that in my old E39 Google Maps used to 'fool' the stereo into playing navigation directions by using the phone Bluetooth audio, as there was no music streaming.

27 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

Sorry not sure then, sounds like it may be a setting on the phone. I use an iPhone and navigation audio is fine. The reason I ask is that in my old E39 Google Maps used to 'fool' the stereo into playing navigation directions by using the phone Bluetooth audio, as there was no music streaming.

Ok thank you, do you by chance know of any way to get the unit to automatically boot into AA or carplay without booting into that android unit looking menu with access to settings? 

Would save me having to select AA every time i get in the car after switching from idrive.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:49 AM, niko said:

Hi, my car has voice control with the voice button next to the menu button behind the idrive controller. will this unit work with this setup and has anybody installed the unit that has voice control,

thanks

Yes it does work however i found that I press the voice button on the wheel opens the siri/google assistant but at the same time the car starts talking me through the various bmw voice control commands and im not sure how to turn it off.

2 minutes ago, eezeh said:

Ok thank you, do you by chance know of any way to get the unit to automatically boot into AA or carplay without booting into that android unit looking menu with access to settings? 

Would save me having to select AA every time i get in the car after switching from idrive.

Not possible as far as I'm aware.

Got an update today for AA on my phone that sets the maps on the unit to dark mode independently of the maps on the phone. Google must've read my complaints haha. 

Edited by Duff

47 minutes ago, Duff said:

Got an update today for AA on my phone that sets the maps on the unit to dark mode independently of the maps on the phone. Google must've read my complaints haha. 

Could you let me know if the maps switch to dark mode automatically as mine don't any more after an update to AA and the separated dark mode control about 5 months ago (android 10). Many thanks.

19 minutes ago, Hoodlum said:

Could you let me know if the maps switch to dark mode automatically as mine don't any more after an update to AA and the separated dark mode control about 5 months ago (android 10). Many thanks.

Mine seems to default to day mode every time I connect the phone despite under developer settings on AA being selected to night mode. To get waze to switch to night mode I have to cycle day - night under developer options

Bit annoying as I prefer to have it in night mode permanently. 

Developer options no longer work in this situation. The only way to have maps in night mode is to select it in maps permanently (also select night mode while navigating too). The andream unit doesn't respond to headlamps being switched on so it looks like it's down to Google to put an option on the AA car screen for night mode or partially undo what they have done

21 minutes ago, Hoodlum said:

Developer options no longer work in this situation. The only way to have maps in night mode is to select it in maps permanently (also select night mode while navigating too). The andream unit doesn't respond to headlamps being switched on so it looks like it's down to Google to put an option on the AA car screen for night mode or partially undo what they have done

Thanks, I have night mode selected in waze settings on the phone but I don't see any settings menu for waze in AA, i presume it is different for gmaps?

I found the andream unit dims the screen when my headlamps are switched on but no night/day mode switch.

28 minutes ago, eezeh said:

Thanks, I have night mode selected in waze settings on the phone but I don't see any settings menu for waze in AA, i presume it is different for gmaps?

I found the andream unit dims the screen when my headlamps are switched on but no night/day mode switch.

Here is a link that gives a better idea of what is going on and why it affects aftermarket head units.

https://www.italy24news.com/News/14092.html

I can't speak for Android Auto, but for CarPlay the headlights have no influence on night mode, it is triggered by the time of day (around 4pm in winter, 8pm in the summer.)

19 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

I can't speak for Android Auto, but for CarPlay the headlights have no influence on night mode, it is triggered by the time of day (around 4pm in winter, 8pm in the summer.)

This used to be what happened with Android auto before night mode in Android auto was separated from the android operating system.

My 520d has died today (POS) so my Andream is up for sale, literally hardly used, as new. Bought and fitted around a month ago.

£190 posted. Edit - SOLD

Edited by Piper

Has anyone here purchased a unit directly from Andream (who appear to ship from Germany) since the start of this year? I'd like to know whether the delivery went smoothly or if there were any issues with customs, having to pay VAT/import duty/fees etc. 

3 hours ago, Paul M said:

Has anyone here purchased a unit directly from Andream (who appear to ship from Germany) since the start of this year? I'd like to know whether the delivery went smoothly or if there were any issues with customs, having to pay VAT/import duty/fees etc. 

It was great, no hassle, no fees.

It's good, no doubt.

The screen definition is loads better and all the old functions and CCC screens are still there, but now in wide-screen.