TJS

Opinions on 520 d engine oil

Hi

l am planning on an oil and filter change on my 2017 520d f11.

l asked the selling dealer for the oil they use in service, the guy stated Shell low ash 0-30? 
just wondered what you guys use / recommended. It’s done 36000 with dealer servicing,  next due June 21 but l don’t want to leave the oil and filter till then.

Thanks 

oh BTW why when l enter a word in search it never gives results? As Terry Wogan would have said “ is it me”? 

Edited by TJS
Added txt

I usually buy oil from a dealer near Glasgow they do post it to you and it is the 0w30 which is supplied by shell but comes in 1 litre bmw branded bottles. Its £9.5 per litre and you need 5 of those.

Filter is 12.5 i have the same engine as yours so an interim service comes to £70 with postage.

Sure you can buy after market as oil filter is made by Mahle and you can buy the 5w30 shell oil and save £20 but I prefer to spend that extra.

1 hour ago, TJS said:

Hi

l am planning on an oil and filter change on my 2017 520d f11.

l asked the selling dealer for the oil they use in service, the guy stated Shell low ash 0-30? 
just wondered what you guys use / recommended. It’s done 36000 with dealer servicing,  next due June 21 but l don’t want to leave the oil and filter till then.

Thanks 

oh BTW why when l enter a word in search it never gives results? As Terry Wogan would have said “ is it me”? 

I generally get the engine  oil  and oil filter from Opie Oil, main thing to remember the oil specifications meets approved  BMW  LL04 standard, two oils I  use are Castrol Edge 0w 30, and more recently Shell Helix Ultra ECT  C3 5W 30 which is BMW LL04, for some reason Castrol Edge now does not state BMWLL04 although  it did previously, engine oil filter I've  always used Mahle as thats the one BMW generally use during manufacture.

I you check online with google you should be able to get a good deal on both engine oil and oil filter from various places online.

1 hour ago, sams255 said:

I bought the same last year from the same seller to keep both cars in our house in oil for a year. Although there was an issue with the sale that was beyond the sellers control I found them very helpful and easy to deal with on the phone and everything was resolved to my satisfaction so I'd recommend buying from them. The oil speaks for itself.

23 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I bought the same last year from the same seller to keep both cars in our house in oil for a year. Although there was an issue with the sale that was beyond the sellers control I found them very helpful and easy to deal with on the phone and everything was resolved to my satisfaction so I'd recommend buying from them. The oil speaks for itself.

what was the issue you had ?

10 minutes ago, sams255 said:

what was the issue you had ?

The oil didn't arrive due to some mistake on Ebays part. From my end it looked as though the transaction was complete, oil bought and paid for and I was waiting for delivery but from the sellers end the sale wasn't appearing in his EBay account so he hadn't sent the oil. I think he could see my payment but couldn't see what I'd paid for.

It was all just a glitch in Ebays system but I had to spend a while on the phone to the seller sorting things out. In the end he just canceled the sale and I made a fresh order which went without a hitch. I remember the guy I spoke to being easy to talk to and very efficient in what he was doing so I'd be happy to recommend. 

Hi All

firstly thanks for all your replies and help. I really appreciate it. 

After F10ers reply l emailed Cotswold, who due to his kind info, they provided , BMW oil , 5 ltrs, oil filter and sump plug washer for £79 all in.
Great site, l hope in future l can help others.