Sign in to follow this  
jyz

Mixing Tyres?

Hi all, the tyres on my car (run flats) needs replacing soon but I have gotten into a dilemma. My fronts are 245/45 R18 and rears are 270/40 R18. I was planning to change them to Goodyear Asymmetric 5's but they are only currently available in the front only. So is it okay to have A5's on the front and A3's on the back?  Also will having non-run flats on the front and run flats on the rear create any problems? 

Current prices for each tyre:

Front - A5 = £110

Front - A3 (run flats) = £145

Rear - A3  = £185

Rear - A3 (run flats) = £178

Can you advice which is the best set up?  Will Front A5 and Rear A3 (run flat) work? or Front A5 and Rear A3? Or will it be better just to have Front & Rear A3 (run flats)?

4 hours ago, jyz said:

Hi all, the tyres on my car (run flats) needs replacing soon but I have gotten into a dilemma. My fronts are 245/45 R18 and rears are 270/40 R18. I was planning to change them to Goodyear Asymmetric 5's but they are only currently available in the front only. So is it okay to have A5's on the front and A3's on the back?  Also will having non-run flats on the front and run flats on the rear create any problems? 

Current prices for each tyre:

Front - A5 = £110

Front - A3 (run flats) = £145

Rear - A3  = £185

Rear - A3 (run flats) = £178

Can you advice which is the best set up?  Will Front A5 and Rear A3 (run flat) work? or Front A5 and Rear A3? Or will it be better just to have Front & Rear A3 (run flats)?

On which car?

You're better off asking this in the relevant tech section(s) further down the homepage

This is just general chat :) 

RF tyres have harder sidewalls and a harder ride due to the stiffer tyre carcass. You're better off replacing all tyres at once to keep the cars handling neutral.