Marc_86

Aftermarket wheels and centre bore

Hi all...really struggling to find the ET?

Seller says he got em part x for other wheels he was selling and the guy who swapped was in an e39 when he came with these fitted?

Here are the wheel markings...now size is easy (7.5jx17) but the other markings I'm not sure on?

Seller advised these are team dynamic alloys if that helps and 100% 5x120.

Any advice?

Thanks

Screenshot_20200723-150033_Gumtree.jpg

Edited by Marc_86

Unless you’re absolutely dead set on these, I’d keep looking.

Sounding to be a lot of hassle for a set of second hand alloys

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Doesn't mean to say it's right through and why would you encourage doing what is wrong?! :? 

Your call @Marc_86 but I wouldn't risk it at all; more so re insurance as if something happened and they suss out that the wheels weren't fitted correctly etc...

Read my next post about transit van. Perfect sample where you are living without centre lip at all. The same story here. When bolts are tightened, wheels won't go anywhere. Tight centre fitment is only needed to escape from vibration issues. Cars weight isn't hold on centre bore. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about correct size centre bore,  and so on, but driving short distance won't make any harm.

14 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Set of 5 style49 came up for sale on Facebook  , £130, 4 of them with nearly new tyres, spare on limit. Don't think they will be there for long, but you never know. I'm not sure if link is accessible from outside Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/127160300780560/permalink/1691916844304890/?sale_post_id=1691916844304890

Utter legend Ray!!!

Quickly got wor lass to click link and looks like someone has messaged straight away for collection tomorrow.

Gutted:-(

21 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Utter legend Ray!!!

Quickly got wor lass to click link and looks like someone has messaged straight away for collection tomorrow.

Gutted:-(

Good deals go quickly. Only hope, person who is collecting tomorrow doesn't show up, but chances are small.

Well as I missed out in Ray's cracking FB find...thought I'd do a leap of faith on the original wheels I had seen.

ET20 confirmed, 5x120 confirmed and 76mm centre bore confirmed and with correct tyres 225/45/17.

Drove down to Rotherham, test fit spot on done the deal.

Got home, quick wash of the wheels and popped em straight on. Looks so much better imo.

Original vs aftermarket.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

20200801_142634.jpg

20200801_145908.jpg

19 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Looking good 

Cheers Ray.

Think I prefer them to the 49s I was looking for.

Also I have a 5th style 50 wheel as a spare...guessing i can still use this as the rolling radius will be nigh on the same?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

Cheers Ray.

Think I prefer them to the 49s I was looking for.

Also I have a 5th style 50 wheel as a spare...guessing i can still use this as the rolling radius will be nigh on the same?

Cheers

If correct size tyres are fitted, then rolling radius should be about the same.

14 hours ago, Ray112 said:

If correct size tyres are fitted, then rolling radius should be about the same.

I've gone from 225/55/16 to 225/45/17.

Think there is about a 3% speedo variation.

Sound OK?

8 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

I've gone from 225/55/16 to 225/45/17.

Think there is about a 3% speedo variation.

Sound OK?

Is your car manual or automatic transmission? Correct size for r17 would be 235/45r17. With manual transmission you won't notice anything, with automatic, there's might be little strange gear shifting, like delayed a bit compared to usual, but you will be using it anyway as a spare wheel only on emergency for short term, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

12 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Is your car manual or automatic transmission? Correct size for r17 would be 235/45r17. With manual transmission you won't notice anything, with automatic, there's might be little strange gear shifting, like delayed a bit compared to usual, but you will be using it anyway as a spare wheel only on emergency for short term, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

Yeah its manual mate.

I thought a lot of people running 17s usually had 235s on them. Guessing mine will be a little stretched then? Guessing this is still fine though.

Will run these until they are passed it then change to 235s.

3 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

Yeah its manual mate.

I thought a lot of people running 17s usually had 235s on them. Guessing mine will be a little stretched then? Guessing this is still fine though.

Will run these until they are passed it then change to 235s.

I believe you have that tyre size because of rim width. Yours are 7.5 inches wide, while original 17" wheels are 8 inches wide ( 9 inches rear on staggered sets), but 235/45 is still ok to fit on 7.5j rim, or other option I would possibly choose is 225/50r17. That should be closer match to original rotation radius. 225/45 is little too low, and giving a bit of speedometer reading error. With bigger tyre there will be less wheel gap, so looking better as well.

6 hours ago, Ray112 said:

I believe you have that tyre size because of rim width. Yours are 7.5 inches wide, while original 17" wheels are 8 inches wide ( 9 inches rear on staggered sets), but 235/45 is still ok to fit on 7.5j rim, or other option I would possibly choose is 225/50r17. That should be closer match to original rotation radius. 225/45 is little too low, and giving a bit of speedometer reading error. With bigger tyre there will be less wheel gap, so looking better as well.

Trying to get away from beach buggy tyres ive ran for years - 55 profile so going to 50 isn't much better...whereas 45s immediately look better.

Been looking at a few conversion charts and on 7.5j rims...225 seems to be ideal and 235 stated max.

Its also funny how width can affect rolling radius and speedo changes too? My current setup says I'm out by 3.8%...but 235s bring it down to 1ish%.

Surely diameter and profile should only impact this...but clearly not...i cant understand the logic.

Saying that at the moment going 3.8% slower than the speedo states isn't a bad thing. Keep them speeding tickets at bay :D

52 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Trying to get away from beach buggy tyres ive ran for years - 55 profile so going to 50 isn't much better...whereas 45s immediately look better.

Been looking at a few conversion charts and on 7.5j rims...225 seems to be ideal and 235 stated max.

Its also funny how width can affect rolling radius and speedo changes too? My current setup says I'm out by 3.8%...but 235s bring it down to 1ish%.

Surely diameter and profile should only impact this...but clearly not...i cant understand the logic.

Saying that at the moment going 3.8% slower than the speedo states isn't a bad thing. Keep them speeding tickets at bay :D

45 isn't actual tyre hight in mm, it's percentage of tyre width, that's why width affect tire profile size, so 45% from 235 is 105,75mm while 45% from 225 is 101,25mm, so your current tyres are 4.5 mm smaller radius.  Of course actual tyre hight as well is affected by how it sits on rim, stretched tyres will loose on actual height. After calculating sizes I realized that 225/50 would be about 5mm higher than 235/45, so not ideal either. 

I just remember when I bought my style81 wheels, two tyres were correct size 235/45, while other two were 225/45, and 235 were looking a lot better on car than 225 due to tyre being little higher and making wheel gap smaller, but they doesn't look like balloons either. 225 on 8j were getting little stretched, so yours might sit better on 7.5j. 

Edited by Ray112