Marc_86

Aftermarket wheels and centre bore

Hi All,

Just a very quick one (and this has probably been covered millions of times) so apologies in advance.

All 4 tyres on my current style 50 alloys are past it and im definitely not going to throw £400+ on new tyres for alloys that i cant stand...made that error a few years back.

Ideally im after style 49 alloys only to keep it OEM but i cant seem to find any.

So as a plan B - ive seen some 17", 5x120 BBS "style" alloys with decent tyres really cheap - will be refurbed by myself if i go down this route.

Now the centre bore i have been advised is 3" so 76.2mm...but the seller assures me they came of an e39 BMW without any spacers or centre bore reducers etc.

So the question is - will these be a straight fit or is the centre bore too large for the 74.1 e39?

Thanks again

Image attached...might look OK on a(n) SE?

Marc

Screenshot_20200722-141650_Gumtree.jpg

Edited by Marc_86

They will fit, but I would suggest to use spigot rings, to get wheels exactly centralised. Otherwise vibration at higher speeds is quite possible. Thought it's very tiny spigots needed, but I think you can get anything these days. 

11 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Smashing cheers Ray.

Assume these are safe to use aye? I've already got spacers on my wheels at present so these just slot inside yeah?

These go just inside your new wheels, either can use with spacers or without. They are just to reduce centre bore to correct size. Otherwise there's a good chance that wheels can be a 1mm or more of centre when tightened and cause vibration. Those rings are plastic, but they purpose is only to centralise wheel, so they are absolutely safe to use and even suggested, if centre bore isn't exact fit. 

Hi Marc,

Centre Bore is no issue as per above, just use the correct spigot rings to reduce the CB of the wheels to the 74.1mm of the E39 hubs. The rings fit over the hub and the wheels just go over the top of them - you need to ensure you have the exact outer diameter to mach the CB of the actual wheels themselves. The ones you have referenced are most likely replica's so the detail most likely isn't on the back of the wheels and you might need to measure precisely.

The wheels you've referenced, whats the offsets of them? ideally, they'll be ET15-25 which is E39 offset friendly and would then just simply fit straight on. If they're perhaps ET35/40/43 then those will be a 3 series fitment and will need you to spend more on spacers and extended wheel bolts. Also, ensure the PCD of the wheels is 5x120, don't believe what the seller says, look for the detail on the back of the wheels. Lastly, would they look good on an SE, that's open to debate! I'd also have thought finding a set of style 49's shouldn't be too hard !

Cheers, Dennis!

Or get a set of Style 66s and refurb them :)

Straight fit, no faff and can be picked up fairly readily.

There are a few sets on the relevant E39 buy/sell groups on FB currently and some are fully refurbed too

10 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Marc,

Centre Bore is no issue as per above, just use the correct spigot rings to reduce the CB of the wheels to the 74.1mm of the E39 hubs. The rings fit over the hub and the wheels just go over the top of them - you need to ensure you have the exact outer diameter to mach the CB of the actual wheels themselves. The ones you have referenced are most likely replica's so the detail most likely isn't on the back of the wheels and you might need to measure precisely.

The wheels you've referenced, whats the offsets of them? ideally, they'll be ET15-25 which is E39 offset friendly and would then just simply fit straight on. If they're perhaps ET35/40/43 then those will be a 3 series fitment and will need you to spend more on spacers and extended wheel bolts. Also, ensure the PCD of the wheels is 5x120, don't believe what the seller says, look for the detail on the back of the wheels. Lastly, would they look good on an SE, that's open to debate! I'd also have thought finding a set of style 49's shouldn't be too hard !

Cheers, Dennis!

Cheers Dennis,

I'm already running 15mm spacers up front with longer bolts to match and 20mm rear again with matching longer bolts.

So not sure what my current ET is on my aweful style 50s?

Believe me...ive spent the last 2 weeks looking daily for style 49s...siltch...although saw one set but asking too much for what are old prefacelift wheels.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Or get a set of Style 66s and refurb them :)

Straight fit, no faff and can be picked up fairly readily.

There are a few sets on the relevant E39 buy/sell groups on FB currently and some are fully refurbed too

Not for me...66s on SE's...doesn't seem to work well at all and 37s seems ever worse on SE's.

These plan B wheels I think are my next best option as they look decent(ish).

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Not for me...66s on SE's...doesn't seem to work well at all and 37s seems ever worse on SE's.

Thanks

16" Turbines then ;) 

1 minute ago, d_a_n1979 said:

16" Turbines then ;) 

:-(

Think that's a downgrade from my 50's ha.

6 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Thanks

The same opinion about 66s and SE, it just feels wrong. 

I was lucky enough last September to get set of 5 style81 for £70, tyres were not ideal, but for that money it's great deal. Originally my SE touring was on style50, but never really liked them, plus spare wheel was bent and need replacing anyway. Always wanted 81s or maybe 32s, 32s are overpriced, the same as style37 in my opinion, so style81 was realistic plan. 

5 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

The same opinion about 66s and SE, it just feels wrong. 

I was lucky enough last September to get set of 5 style81 for £70, tyres were not ideal, but for that money it's great deal. Originally my SE touring was on style50, but never really liked them, plus spare wheel was bent and need replacing anyway. Always wanted 81s or maybe 32s, 32s are overpriced, the same as style37 in my opinion, so style81 was realistic plan. 

These would be an utter steal and tyres good too.

I've seen one set of 49s but they want £300 and all tyres would need changed too.

Think they were made of bloody gold.

33 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

:-(

Think that's a downgrade from my 50's ha.

Nah; I like Turbines

In the right colour they can look good ;) 

43 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

These would be an utter steal and tyres good too.

I've seen one set of 49s but they want £300 and all tyres would need changed too.

Think they were made of bloody gold.

That's true, sometimes these prices are insane, bald tyres, rims need refurb, but price like for freshly painted ones:D

I sold my style50 for £80 week later, so style81 were for free and tenner in pocket:D sometimes you get lucky. Just keep checking Facebook sales pages, good deals turn up every then and now.

9 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

That's true, sometimes these prices are insane, bald tyres, rims need refurb, but price like for freshly painted ones:D

I sold my style50 for £80 week later, so style81 were for free and tenner in pocket:D sometimes you get lucky. Just keep checking Facebook sales pages, good deals turn up every then and now.

I'm a social media ninja so don't use FB.

:huh:

Hi all,

If i go for these alloys - is it safe to drive on them without fitting spigot rings?

Might plan on going to see them this weekend and rings wont arrive in time?

Obviously will purchase some if i buy these?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Hi all,

If i go for these alloys - is it safe to drive on them without fitting spigot rings?

Thanks

No; as they won't be centred on the hub and resting on the wheel bolts

Do you know what their centre bore is?

The later BBS alloys came with a centre bore of 88 and then you get the correct reducers to fit them to your car; but some of the earlier ones were centre bore specific etc

1 hour ago, Marc_86 said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Yes and no. A lot of people are driving wheels with wrong centre bore and never bother about it. Wheels might vibrate but if bolts are tightened correctly and have correct seats to match rim (cone Vs ball type), wheels shouldn't be falling off. 

Decisions decisions ha.

That's a good point Ray...how do i check which bolts they need.

I've got oem style but longer wheel bolts (spacers fitted) that are cone type.

Cheers

By the way Ford transit van at around 2000 built year didn't have centre lip for back wheels at all. It's stupid design, but that's how it was. And wheels were not falling off.

13 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Decisions decisions ha.

That's a good point Ray...how do i check which bolts they need.

I've got oem style but longer wheel bolts (spacers fitted) that are cone type.

Cheers

IIRC BBS alloys for a BMW will have the correct holes for a 60º tapered bolt.

If they came off a BMW they'll be fine

22 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Yes and no. A lot of people are driving wheels with wrong centre bore and never bother about it. Wheels might vibrate but if bolts are tightened correctly and have correct seats to match rim (cone Vs ball type), wheels shouldn't be falling off. 

Doesn't mean to say it's right through and why would you encourage doing what is wrong?! :? 

Your call @Marc_86 but I wouldn't risk it at all; more so re insurance as if something happened and they suss out that the wheels weren't fitted correctly etc...

8 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Doesn't mean to say it's right through and why would you encourage doing what is wrong?! :? 

Your call @Marc_86 but I wouldn't risk it at all; more so re insurance as if something happened and they suss out that the wheels weren't fitted correctly etc...

Seller has confirmed they are cone style wheel bolts if that's what you call them.

Fair point though Dan and appreciate your feedback.

If I do go for these I'll test fit for a quick safe drive and if I pull the trigger...ill travel home with my old ones fitted until spigots arrive.

Edited by Marc_86
cant spell

11 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Seller has confirmed they are cone style wheel bolts if that's what you call them.

Fair point though Dan and appreciate your feedback.

If I do go for these I'll test fit for a quick safe drive and if I pull the trigger...ill travel home with my old ones fitted until spigots arrive.

Yup; cone bolts (ie. 60º taper; same as Ford, Honda etc) :) 

It's ball shaped bolts you need to be careful of etc