No Wookies Here

Preventative Medicine - started as a service

Service I say but also booked in for the timing chain, guides, seals and to recon the Vanos too.  Not that any of this needed doing yet.  I am sure I am going crazy.  What's the last thing you did as preventative, let the stories commence?

Depends how anal you are. (...Hey, you at the back. No sniggering, please!)

You've ticked the bodywork box already......

.....but did that include pulling off the plastic covers that do such a good job of hiding corrosion in the sills?

How about a no-holds-barred underbody restoration?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsoETrDOPYg

Rear sub-frame bushes refresh? All 11 of them.

Obviously if you haven't replaced the clutch & flywheel + all the stuff you should do 'while you're in there', then you're not trying hard enough! :D 

('While you're in there' : crank sensor,  release bearing, clutch release fork lever & pivot,  guide bush & shaft seal, clutch slave cylinder, rear main seal, gear shift rebuild inc all bushes and ancillaries etc, gear box and engine mounts, guibo.)

Did I mention the suspension? All dampers (only OE, of course!), all suspension arms - front & rear.

How deep are your pockets?

Depends on where you're located. You occasionally hear stories of botched work, and overcharging, but a good, well-respected indy near you should be able to do a competent job for a fair price. Failing that, the names that seem to crop up most often seem to be:

Redish Motorsport in Bristol

CPC Performance Engineering in Amersham. Bucks.

Mr Vanos in Darlington. Co.Durham

Evolve Automotive in Luton.

(Munich Legends in Sussex used to be well regarded but less so after the business changed hands some years ago. Check out some of their on-line reviews.)

Just my 2 cents.

(I'm in the Scottish Highlands and when the time comes my car will go to one of the first four on the list. So, yeah,  IMO a good garage is worth travelling for. That way the job gets done right the first time without headaches and at reasonable cost.)

2 hours ago, DepthHoar said:

Depends on where you're located. You occasionally hear stories of botched work, and overcharging, but a good, well-respected indy near you should be able to do a competent job for a fair price. Failing that, the names that seem to crop up most often seem to be:

Redish Motorsport in Bristol

CPC Performance Engineering in Amersham. Bucks.

Mr Vanos in Darlington. Co.Durham

Evolve Automotive in Luton.

(Munich Legends in Sussex used to be well regarded but less so after the business changed hands some years ago. Check out some of their on-line reviews.)

Just my 2 cents.

(I'm in the Scottish Highlands and when the time comes my car will go to one of the first four on the list. So, yeah,  IMO a good garage is worth travelling for. That way the job gets done right the first time without headaches and at reasonable cost.)

Agreed. Thanks mate. 

I have heard some horror stories about Mr Vanos too b

As this has wandered slightly off topic and gone on to recommended independents, does anyone have any experience of using A Reeve Performance in Kings Lynn with their E39?