duncan-uk

Heresy! but what would you replace an e39 sport touring with...

So my 530d Sport touring manual is a fine car and in healthy shape but i can't keep it forever.

So what would be a suitable replacement? No immediate plans but worth thinking about...

Its about the right size, drives well is brisk enough if not fast and engaging enough when needed and pushing on, will do high 40's on a long trip and is a a good looking car.

Ive not given up the will to live but the later and bigger 5s don't really float my boat.

E61 i like but thinking i need newer.

Mrs isn't keen on another diesel.

Do your worst!

I replaced my e39 530i touring (manual box) with an f11 3.0 with a manual box about 4.5 years ago. I still have 2 e39s so can easily get my fix! I never really enjoyed driving the touring e39 all that much.

as a daily the f11 is a nice place to be and the 6 cylinder and manual gearbox keep me involved enough. I had it remapped too

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

So my 530d Sport touring manual is a fine car and in healthy shape but i can't keep it forever.

So what would be a suitable replacement? No immediate plans but worth thinking about...

Its about the right size, drives well is brisk enough if not fast and engaging enough when needed and pushing on, will do high 40's on a long trip and is a a good looking car.

Ive not given up the will to live but the later and bigger 5s don't really float my boat.

E61 i like but thinking i need newer.

Mrs isn't keen on another diesel.

Do your worst!

Do you need the size of the 5'er?

For me, I'd personally be looking at something like a current 340i touring

I wouldn't touch another E6x range car I don't think; I'd had enough with my 730D for showing me what 'niggles' they like to throw up and keep you busy/out of pocket :roll: 

An F11 535i would be a nice place to be I reckon; if you can find one...

Doesn't have to be BMW - i think the F11 is probably too big - i need an estate for the dog and all the crap my girls seem to need!

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Doesn't have to be BMW - i think the F11 is probably too big - i need an estate for the dog and all the crap my girls seem to need!

Skoda Superb; although not sure what their petrol engines are like

Brother in law has the 2.0D and it's a superb car; pardon the pun ;) 

^ yes but probably not much better than what i have being of similar age.

A mate has the superb and likes it.

Hi Duncan!

Obviously, here we're going to be biased and I'll get that bit out of the way first - keep and run the E39! 

Like everyone, I, you and most of us on here have had a look around to see what else we could get, especially after seeing nice examples on the road and in other internet pictures/forums etc. For me, for my daily I'd not mind an F11 530d manual, I don't mind a base spec car at all as I'd add what I want and modify. After we had the 2009 E70 X5 3.0d Sport in the family fleet, I'd not mind one of those either but no manual option I believe or if there is, they're very rare. Then I take a look around at the 2004 onwards cars from all the brands and I'm still finding that potential running costs for when it comes to repairing the essential electronic modules/diagnostics/reconditioning them and to a lesser extent the mechanical parts/bits just puts me off. There are now more places with more knowledge and experience of looking after these aspects and thus, some of those costs in general have reduced a good proportion over the last few years so It's a balance of looking at common failures and evaluating the cost levels to fix/repair/change.

We have 2 Skoda Octavia estates for our business duties, cheap to run and essentially are a VW with a Skoda badge stuck on, would have gone with the 'Superb' but this sized car suits what we need it for. Sounds like you do need more space so if the Superb is indeed a little more better built than the Octavia, then I'm sure a recent example would suit you fine. The drive is perfectly fine for what it is, so as long as when you are doing family related driving and don't need to experience driving dynamics and handling, they'd be absolutely fine. Way back in 2005 for a stop gap of perhaps 8/10 months as I was looking for a larger estate to accomodate my then growing Puppy, I had the business 2001 Volvo V40 Sport estate. A great car again for what it was. What annoyed me about that engine was a specific pipe that connected somewhere to somewhere around the Turbo unit. With no warning it'd fail and 'pop off' and the only way to resolve would be to change the part. It was perhaps 6/7 inches long and in a specific shape, no aftermarket replacements (at the time, not sure about now) and main dealer part only at ... £125+VAT. Over that time it popped off 3 times! and it was 'just one of those things' according to the dealer and others with the same car who also reported it on the web. Else, Volvo's I'm sure have other/their own quirks like any car irrespective of brand/model.  

From that, evaluate what you want, narrow down to a shortlist and check out as many of the common issues problems to see if fixes/repairs costs are more agreeable for you, then......

Keep the Touring! 

Cheers, Dennis!

Likewise modern stuff bmw wise doesn't do it for me,the  F10 is not bad looking, but very large, a current 3 or 4 series is closer to your e39 than current 5 series. Given modern stuff, including the F10, are still depreciating heavily I wouldn't buy one, but thats me, alternatives, I would have a look at older Mercs, Audi, Vovo, if you want to stay with premium cars.

Skoda Superb is a great car, friend of mine has one with 2.0d manual, his average mpg more then 50mpg!

Another one I like is Mazda 6 Estate with 2.5 petrol engine.

51 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I quite like the look of the recent C class, its all musings at the moment but thoughts welcome.

Bloody small inside; smaller than a 3 series IMO

Tread carefully

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Bloody small inside; smaller than a 3 series IMO

Tread carefully

Yep - went on a test drive with the old man in one of these about 2 years ago - claustrophobic cabin. Nice car but nothing special about it (can say that about most modern cars though). He bought an A4 Allroad instead 

16 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Yep - went on a test drive with the old man in one of these about 2 years ago - claustrophobic cabin. Nice car but nothing special about it (can say that about most modern cars though). He bought an A4 Allroad instead 

Yeah; I know I'm a Cadbury's mis-shape :lol: and don't fit into many cars with room to spare; but the C class was a bloody squeeze. In saying that, the Audi A4 is a no-no for me, far too small and the A6 I only just fit in...!

8 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I quite like the look of the recent C class, its all musings at the moment but thoughts welcome.

You have done quite a bit DIY wise to your E39, knowing what has, and hasn't been done is very useful, and worth something while the car is in your ownership.

For sure but i've had it coming up 6 years, at some point it will need welding I'm sure and more paint (something i struggle to find good people to do).

Its a great car but you don;t have to keep them forever!

Been perusing the web as you do and the F30 335i seems a similar size, decent economy and a bit of fun?

Are they all auto?

13 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Been perusing the web as you do and the F30 335i seems a similar size, decent economy and a bit of fun?

Are they all auto?

335i will be a decent bit of kit Duncan, will also have a decent bit of depreciation still to come on it, would imagine manual is available, and not being a 320d lifts it out of the fleet buying fodder.

Audi: an expensive Volkswagen with all the dramas you expect from 'premium' these days. Buy a Skoda - it's the same mediocre product under the gloss.

One thing all this Merc/Audi stuff does is outline just how well BMW's drive.