simufly

Radio switches off every 25-30 mins

Probably need to switch something off but ATM on the new (to me) e39 the radio turns  itself off after 25mins or so. Will come back on straightway if the on/off vol.  knob is turned.

Will have to read the full drivers manual over the next couple of days.

e34 were never this difficult!

Edited by simufly

Hi,

Do you have the OEM head unit? if so, which one? The reason the OEM setups switch off after this kind of time period is due to a signal to the amplifier not being sent out due to a fault. 

If you have an aftermarket head unit, then you'll need to re-check your connections as sounds as though something is loose or wrongly connected or perhaps wrong guage power cable used. 

Cheers, Dennis!

1 hour ago, DennisCooper said:

Yes OE Fit.

Do you have the OEM head unit? if so, which one? The reason the OEM setups switch off after this kind of time period is due to a signal to the amplifier not being sent out due to a fault. 

If you have an aftermarket head unit, then you'll need to re-check your connections as sounds as though something is loose or wrongly connected or perhaps wrong guage power cable used. 

Cheers, Dennis!

image.jpg

Hi,

I was thinking you may have had the monitor/satnav setup which has a separate amplifier in the back of the car and this symptom is synonymous with that setup. It's possible this setup you have also has the separate amplifier in the back of the car, can you check? if so, the signal to keep it switched on isn't there/getting through, so you'd need to do more fault finding at that point to see which module is causing it. If there's no separate amplifier, then there's a fault within this unit in the dash. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Problem still happening, approx 20 mins the radio switches itself off. 
So far have tried new headunit, new ignition switch. 
Logically it’s a power supply problem,  as the power seems to cut off as if the car was going to sleep,  so are there two feeds to the HU? One from the ignition and one from the CCU Perhaps
I hate electrical problems

This is due (most likely) to capacitors in the output amp.

13 minutes ago, simufly said:

Possibly but with two different head units?

Have you tried changing the fuses, for peace of mind?

I think there's a fuse on the back of the head unit too...

Yours is all built in, so no separate amp and I agree, one head unit going duff fine; but a replacement one with exactly the same issues... Nah

It's deffo a fuse/power/wiring issues somewhere... Wonder if it's module related? :? 

6 hours ago, simufly said:

Possibly but with two different head units?

5 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Have you tried changing the fuses, for peace of mind?

I think there's a fuse on the back of the head unit too...

Yours is all built in, so no separate amp and I agree, one head unit going duff fine; but a replacement one with exactly the same issues... Nah

It's deffo a fuse/power/wiring issues somewhere... Wonder if it's module related? :? 

Yeah, not with 2 different units... although I'd check with a third one that's known to work (friend's car?) 

What module, Dan? the basic business radio isn't all self contained?

8 hours ago, jicaino said:

Yeah, not with 2 different units... although I'd check with a third one that's known to work (friend's car?) 

What module, Dan? the basic business radio isn't all self contained?

No ideas pal; was just a guess at causes etc... Wasn't sure if the radio was connected/controlled by a specific module etc

On 16/07/2020 at 12:50, simufly said:

Probably need to switch something off but ATM on the new (to me) e39 the radio turns  itself off after 25mins or so. Will come back on straightway if the on/off vol.  knob is turned.

Will have to read the full drivers manual over the next couple of days.

e34 were never this difficult!

You have the teleprompter on. Was like that on the 2 units? If so, there's your off every fixed time interval. The radios are designed to accept satellite communications for emergencies and such and that's no longer operational since mid 00s. 

Also check your zone code and other diagnostic/master settings accessing the service mode. I will dig the original manual... now that I reread the thread it happened to me when I got the 523i

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

No ideas pal; was just a guess at causes etc... Wasn't sure if the radio was connected/controlled by a specific module etc

Oh, I thought I was missing something!

What head unit is it? The later ones with flat connector pins were known to be crap, some Becker thing made in Chinistan for 50p. Having two duff ones is not impossible and I automatically throw them away to avoid drama later. Earlier ones were Philips with some Becker units as well; what year is the car? You could buy an adaptor loom to fit a later flat pin CD head unit to an older car but these could also cause issues. 

You're right on the E34 - they were far less trouble and easier to fix. 

Edited by Sir Anthony Regents-Park

6 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

What head unit is it? The later ones with flat connector pins were known to be crap, some Becker thing made in Chinistan for 50p. Having two duff ones is not impossible and I automatically throw them away to avoid drama later. Earlier ones were Philips with some Becker units as well; what year is the car? You could buy an adaptor loom to fit a later flat pin CD head unit to an older car but these could also cause issues. 

You're right on the E34 - they were far less trouble and easier to fix. 

I believe there wasn't later "plain business radio" units, those ones with no BM functions and just one piece construction. IIRC they all are Phillips and they last about to mid '98 production dates. If the 2 "duff" units are suffering from the PTY (aka TP) thing they could be good, the behavior is just that. They shut up after a while of receiving some leftover zombie comm satellite message.

Hi,

I now suspect that one or more of the electronic component(s) has or is failing and the amplifier IC /stage is running hotter and after a while, going into thermal shutdown. To test, have the head unit mounted loosely and when it cuts out, remove it to check if the back is 'very hot' and if so, allow it to cool, plug back in and have it switch on again, but this time leave it out so there's more cooler air around it and see if it goes off again after 20 mins. If it doesn't, then possibly means the ambient temperature when fitted is causing the swtich off due to values of temperature have altered so it isn't responding to design spec. If it does go off still, then internally, the thermal runaway is enough to cause the trip. 

Given the OEM audio setups are all aging, it's perfectly possible that multiple/many units exhibit the same or similar faults so you might get another unit, and that has the same issue , or other annoying ones as well, always best to go aftermarket !   but .. I know many wish to stick with the old stuff !

Cheers, Dennis!

17 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

I now suspect that one or more of the electronic component(s) has or is failing and the amplifier IC /stage is running hotter and after a while, going into thermal shutdown. To test, have the head unit mounted loosely and when it cuts out, remove it to check if the back is 'very hot' and if so, allow it to cool, plug back in and have it switch on again, but this time leave it out so there's more cooler air around it and see if it goes off again after 20 mins. If it doesn't, then possibly means the ambient temperature when fitted is causing the swtich off due to values of temperature have altered so it isn't responding to design spec. If it does go off still, then internally, the thermal runaway is enough to cause the trip. 

Given the OEM audio setups are all aging, it's perfectly possible that multiple/many units exhibit the same or similar faults so you might get another unit, and that has the same issue , or other annoying ones as well, always best to go aftermarket !   but .. I know many wish to stick with the old stuff !

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks for the input, I has considered thermal runaway but the unit switched back on immediately. I would be quite happy to go aftermarket except the unit is a very strange shape and AFAIK there is no plug and play option to fit straight in.

1 hour ago, simufly said:

Thanks for the input, I has considered thermal runaway but the unit switched back on immediately. I would be quite happy to go aftermarket except the unit is a very strange shape and AFAIK there is no plug and play option to fit straight in.

Have you checked disabling the TP function?

On 04/09/2021 at 18:03, jicaino said:

Have you checked disabling the TP function?

the TP function is off

Edited by simufly

26 minutes ago, simufly said:

the TP function is off

Then Dennis has the leading suggestion IMHO.

Hi,

I'm also thinking an ignition switch that's just starting to deteriorate and go faulty. The (A) post came up on Face Ache today asking the same, so I'm thinking it's the OP, however it's also mentioning the radio stays on with the ignition off - so suspect its the ignition switch and it's sending out spurious signals along the iBus.

Cheers, Dennis!

11 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

I'm also thinking an ignition switch that's just starting to deteriorate and go faulty. The (A) post came up on Face Ache today asking the same, so I'm thinking it's the OP, however it's also mentioning the radio stays on with the ignition off - so suspect its the ignition switch and it's sending out spurious signals along the iBus.

Cheers, Dennis!

Yeah, or maybe somewhere along the car's like somebody fitted an aftermarket stereo, then they took it out for selling the car and left the wiring all molested and possibly connected something wrong

New ignition switch fitted, to try and isolate the fault. No success. Wiring into the unit looks fine with no sign of being molested.