Steve van hool

Ebay GPS trackers, any good

Does anyone have any experience of using, activating these sim enabled car tracking devices currently on ebay for about a fiver.

Did they get you your car back following a theft?

Also what is the best car theft deterrent anyone?

Lots off different technology out there at the moment for security. From Autowatch Ghost to Pandora and then old favorites like Clifford and Toad (I'm starting to lean towards older independent alarm tech as most thieves these days rely on relay theft. Put them up against an old school Clifford and they wouldn't know what to do!

Trackers can be blocked but check out Youtube for videos of Automatrics to see what they can be capable off

Disclock and physical means to make your car visibly appear more difficult than the others still remain good options. If using disclock, don't forget to read up on the modification

IMO, unless it's a good one which gives real time data and is reliable plus helps with the insurance on a car that is in the theft bracket - then it's pretty much a wast of money. 

The best deterrent will depend on what classification of thief - Pro's will know every which way to get into a car, and it will be on a 'shopping list. An amateur/opportunist will want a quick and easy option.

Having an OBD port lock will be a good place to start. Using that they can re-code a key to your car. 

The next option i would go for is the below. A built additional immobiliser which requires a 'password' to start the car. I don't know the cost but is probably a very effective method of putting off most thieves looking for a drive away motor. 

https://www.audioconcepts.co.uk/news/781/BEST-Car-Anti-Theft-System--BB-Audioconcepts

8 hours ago, dj1233 said:

The next option i would go for is the below. A built additional immobiliser which requires a 'password' to start the car. I don't know the cost but is probably a very effective method of putting off most thieves looking for a drive away motor. 

https://www.audioconcepts.co.uk/news/781/BEST-Car-Anti-Theft-System--BB-Audioconcepts

From £400 upwards.