Steve van hool

DIY oil change using extractor pump

Does anybody have any experience of doing an engine oil change using an extractor pump via the dipstick tube, I have a drill operated pump, and wondering if some fish tank tubing would do the trick, or is it alot of messing about for the sake of undoing one sump plug. Opinions for, and against welcome.

You need a hard section so it doesn't get hot in the hot oil and close.

The Sealey pump I use has about a 4ft length that's solid piping to stop that

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-TP696-5-5ltr-Manual-Extractor/dp/B000WZF74M/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sealey+tp696&qid=1594364826&sr=8-1

The container for the old oil to go for recycling: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-DRP07-10ltr-Recycle-Container/dp/B00S18BI9A/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sealey+drp07&qid=1594364850&sr=8-1

Socket for the oil filter housing: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SX114-Profile-Filter-Socket/dp/B000ROB0RG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sealey+sx114&qid=1594364919&sr=8-1

Warm engine for 10mins, undo filter housing lid and remove filter, remove dipstick; insert tubing and set the pump going. Took me around 40mins all in to do my oil change. No need to crawl under the car, I extracted around 6l, so only a bit of oil left, probably not far off the same amount that would be left if you were to crawl under the car and do it via the sump plug etc

Edited by d_a_n1979

Thanks Dan, can you tell me the diameters, internal, and external of the hard tubing that goes down the dipstick?

It's not the crawling on the ground for what 5 mins max that bothers me, but the lifetime of previous oil changes, where the fitter has over tightened the sump plug to the point of stripping the thread on the sump plug, absolutely no need, with a new copper washer, " nipped" is tight enough.

Edited by Steve van hool

57 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

Thanks Dan, can you tell me the diameters, internal, and external of the hard tubing that goes down the dipstick?

It's not the crawling on the ground for what 5 mins max that bothers me, but the lifetime of previous oil changes, where the fitter has over tightened the sump plug to the point of stripping the thread on the sump plug, absolutely no need, with a new copper washer, " nipped" is tight enough.

That' I've absolutely no idea of sorry pal

At a guess I'd say it's 6mm tubing with a 4mm ID, or maybe 8mm external, 6mm ID, something like that

It fits into the dipstick tube fine, not tight, but not flopping about either, if that make sense?

And yes; know exactly what you mean re the sump plug; had a few cars like that. I always change the oil and filter a couple of times when I buy myself a 'new to me' car; so always replace the sump plug and washer just for that reason etc :) 

I use one of these cheap & cheerful jobbies from Lidl. 

Pros: I don't think I've ever spilt a drop of oil when using it. Something I can never claim to have done using the sump plug. So very little clean up when done. I keep the empty container from previous oil change to fill up with used oil. 

Cons: I guess you won't get all of it out. I've never checked, but it's not far off what comes out the via the drain.

I find it takes a bit of wiggling to get the tube down beyond a tight spot on my current engine, so it probably varies on different engines and may be a fruitless exercise on some. 

It's slow progress with my pump, but you generally have something else you can do while it works away. 

I would go with Dan's original assessment of 6mm od, 4mm id.

Tips:

As Dan says, warm the oil to help flow. 

Use your dipstick as a yardstick against the tube and put a mark/tape on tube so you know you have the correct depth. 

You could jack the car a little to tilt towards your dipstick. 

I always use a cable tie or tape the tube in place onto the container to prevent any spillage

Pros easily outweigh the cons for me.

Keliuss

7 minutes ago, Keliuss said:

I use one of these cheap & cheerful jobbies from Lidl. 

Pros: I don't think I've ever spilt a drop of oil when using it. Something I can never claim to have done using the sump plug. So very little clean up when done. I keep the empty container from previous oil change to fill up with used oil. 

Cons: I guess you won't get all of it out. I've never checked, but it's not far off what comes out the via the drain.

I find it takes a bit of wiggling to get the tube down beyond a tight spot on my current engine, so it probably varies on different engines and may be a fruitless exercise on some. 

It's slow progress with my pump, but you generally have something else you can do while it works away. 

I would go with Dan's original assessment of 6mm od, 4mm id.

Tips:

As Dan says, warm the oil to help flow. 

Use your dipstick as a yardstick against the tube and put a mark/tape on tube so you know you have the correct depth. 

You could jack the car a little to tilt towards your dipstick. 

I always use a cable tie or tape the tube in place onto the container to prevent any spillage

Pros easily outweigh the cons for me.

Keliuss

Yup; no trying to crawl under the car, more so if it's been lashing it down ;) 

But also, if you're the size that I am, even on axle stands; getting under the car isn't easy... I'd rather open the bonnet and stay dry/clean ;) :lol: 

I'd be worried about shoving too much piping down the dipstick tube and getting jammed somewhere in the bowels of the engine! :lol:

32 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

I'd be worried about shoving too much piping down the dipstick tube and getting jammed somewhere in the bowels of the engine! :lol:

Nah; it goes to the bottom and stops. Because it's solid, you can't force it any further etc :) 

To be fair mine is flexible and depending on how hot the oil is, it can become a lot more so. As mentioned I've a mark on mine denoting the dipstick length and I can get it in a fair bit more if I try. I do tend to play about with it trying to get that last little bit.

Keliuss

Why not just buy a new sump bolt and washer before you start? The other benefit to doing this is it doesn't matter if you drop the old one in the drain tray either!

Edited by RichE39

The MANN filters come with new sump washer. I personally wouldn't use an extractor. My thinking is you'll never get 100% of the oil out either way but the point of doing it is to get as much of that fresh liquid gold up in there.