Do any of you subscribe to BMW Car Mag?  If so, do you feel that the content and quality is not what it used to be?

it used to be bigger, with more pages, and better content than it is now for my money anyway. I was annoyed that there was no dedicated July issue, and then the August issue arrived - thin, stapled together and well - just poor. 

for what I pay to subscribe, I feel I can do better. 

I miss Total BMW!!

what do you guys think?

40AC46C1-26F0-43C2-8CC8-F705C50C52BC.jpeg

17A2FBEE-69F1-4684-AEF1-4743827CF8E6.jpeg

A3120BF5-3D5E-4E4E-8E5F-FA1AE3946491.jpeg

I dropped it a while back when it changed publishers and i felt it was changing its market position.

I think mags are struggling for content at the moment - only mag i get is PPC and that's thin at the moment.

I subscribe to BMW Car, Modern Classics, and more recently, Vantage. 

I think I might drop BMW Car in favour of Classic and Sports Car. Shame - I’ve been a BMWC subscriber for years, but as you say Duncan, the change of publisher had a big impact. Same happened with Total BMW. 

Dare i say i'm a bit bored of cars too, modern BMW's do very little for me.

The M2 comp appeals and the 6GC but that's about it...

Total BMW was the common man's/woman's magazine ... BMW Car was/is more about selling new BMW's and high end collecting.     

Edited by Carl-e34

Half the time, I only find the articles written by Andy E any good or interesting, he is not a bad hack when it comes to writing BMW stuff, and I like his engineering take on car maintenance  too.

On 09/07/2020 at 20:01, duncan-uk said:

I dropped it a while back when it changed publishers and i felt it was changing its market position.

I think mags are struggling for content at the moment - only mag i get is PPC and that's thin at the moment.

I quite like PPC. Retro Rides, or Retro Cars (can't remember its name but it was Retro something) was also a good one but that stopped years ago.

It probably is hard for physical copies of such publications to compete with what is on offer on the internet and forums.

Retro Cars was good many years ago, i think it was under the same publisher as TBMW - future? , It stopped and was relaunched and i couldn't get on with the new version just not my thing,

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

I see modern classics is stopping. Final issue out now.

Seriously?  Where did you hear that?  They just celebrated their 50th issue??  I haven’t seen that they are giving up. 

Car Mechanics magazine has been sold to Kelsey Publishing as well. Bauer Media owned both mags.

It wouldn't surpise me in the least if Kelsey started their own 'modern classics' type title from scratch. There is certainly a market for it but the profit isn't likely big enough for a multinational giant like Bauer.

3 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

That's pretty grim.  I was really enjoying some of the stuff these lads put together.

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Car Mechanics magazine has been sold to Kelsey Publishing as well. Bauer Media owned both mags.

It wouldn't surpise me in the least if Kelsey started their own 'modern classics' type title from scratch. There is certainly a market for it but the profit isn't likely big enough for a multinational giant like Bauer.

I hope they do - and I hope they do it well.

What is it that's killing off so many magazine titles now?  Is it 'online'?  I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think anything online is a substitute for a decent quality car magazine in your hand.

I think its online content being freely available, people are consuming media differently - its not a new thing probably in decline for the last 20 years.

Yes i like a magazine but its a bit wasteful to use paper, print, ship it around etc.

On holiday i will buy a news paper but otherwise just just off my phone.

I just came across an interesting fact.  In this month's BMW Car mag, there is a feature about the E36 318i vs the contemporary Audi Coupe.  This is an EXACT reprint of the same story, which was published in Retro Cars March / April edition, which came out in February.

Call me fussy, but I don't like paying for the same thing twice - another reason I will not continue with my subscription to BMW Car.  Pity.

PS - I just checked, and both magazines are published by Kelsey.

Edited by Calypso-E34

On 21/07/2020 at 11:09, duncan-uk said:

I think its online content being freely available, people are consuming media differently - its not a new thing probably in decline for the last 20 years.

Yes i like a magazine but its a bit wasteful to use paper, print, ship it around etc.

On holiday i will buy a news paper but otherwise just just off my phone.

Yes but reading a mag on an iPad just doesn't compare. I hate it.

6 minutes ago, Piper said:

Yes but reading a mag on an iPad just doesn't compare. I hate it.

Me too. I’ll never do it. 

I got my copy of the September issue of BMW Car today. 86 pages, 21 of which were ads only - that’s almost a quarter of the mag. 

I think I made the right decision to cancel it. If anything amazing crops up, I’ll buy a single copy. It’s nothing like as good as it was in its heyday.  That’s a great shame. I’ll miss receiving a BMW orientated magazine coming through the door every month. 

I got a good deal on a subscription to Classic and Sports Car mag today - £6 for 6 issues - and then £23 every 6 issues. A substantial magazine, around the same price as BMWC.  

I’ll miss Modern Classics. I hope something similar hits the market soon.