Changing brands of oil and would like to drain as much as possible.

Probably a daft question but when draining from the sump plug wouldn't the car have to be level ie jacked up front and back so that plug hole is the "bottom" of the sump?

I'd planned on doing it with just the front wheels up on ramps.

I usually use an extractor and satisfied it gets the majority out but my obsessiveness wants to get the absolute most out I can ;) 

Untitled.png

009a975d0646ce4838154a6b44a7dee5.jpg

Edited by Munzy123

When I did mine I used a vacuum extractor to remove the majority of the oil then jacked up the front of the car, rested it down on stands and removed the sump plug after putting an oil drain pan underneath. I then let the front of the car down to allow the rest of the oil to drain from the sump. I reckon I got another 150ml or so. Whether you can do this the same way might depend on the size of your jack and the shape of whatever you're draining the oil into. With mine there was just enough room behind the jack to get the drain pan in the right place. I had plenty of old bits of cardboard on the ground in case of spillage but it wasn't needed.

I'll be doing mine again soon. I think I've got another 700 miles until the 10000 is up. Might even do it tomorrow and get it out of the way if it's not raining. Oil and filter are ready and waiting.

Having not long purchased my F11 (with the B47 engine) I'm looking at changing the oil for a little peace of mind but hadn't thought about lowering the car to remove the last of the remaining oil! 

I'm going to ask the dumb question now and I'm aware there are various reasons on choice but any particularly good brand of oil to go for? I usually stick with the main brands simply as it's easier to get hold of for top ups and replacing, just as long as it's the right weight that is. 

@South-coast-bm oil choice seems to be quite a debatebable subject, very much dependent on the preferences/prejudices of the buyer. My view is as long as it's LL04 spec of the correct weight it'll be fine.

To be fair if you're putting in 6.5l or thereabouts of fresh oil, I don't think a few ml of old oil remaining is going to be a problem.

Just think how much of the old oil would be left around the engine anyway.

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

i go for bmw LL04 approved oil -5w30 -shell helix ultra ECT C3  oil.

or castrol edge 5w30M oil which is also BMW LL 04 spec

Edited by ss