Hello all,

I'm currently on the hunt for a AWD oil pan that will fit the M51 engine.  Since I live in North America, we did not get these engines here, so the one that I have is currently in a 1997 E39  wagon, 525tds.  Its 5 speed manual.  I will be installing it into a 2006 530xi, and that's why I'm looking for the oil pan.  I've swapped N52, N54, and N20 and just swapped the oil pans to convert to AWD.  So,  I'm hoping the somewhere out there, BMW produced the M51 in AWD, at some point.

Thanks for the input and pointing me in the right direction. 

20200704_094705.jpg

1 hour ago, MR E9 said:

Hello all,

I'm currently on the hunt for a AWD oil pan that will fit the M51 engine.  Since I live in North America, we did not get these engines here, so the one that I have is currently in a 1997 E39  wagon, 525tds.  Its 5 speed manual.  I will be installing it into a 2006 530xi, and that's why I'm looking for the oil pan.  I've swapped N52, N54, and N20 and just swapped the oil pans to convert to AWD.  So,  I'm hoping the somewhere out there, BMW produced the M51 in AWD, at some point.

Thanks for the input and pointing me in the right direction. 

20200704_094705.jpg

Ok, now your plans are clear. But I don't think m51 ever was fitted in AWD cars. Anyway, why to fit so ancient engine in E60? They have m57 engines from factory, which are better option than m51. 

5 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The M51 is now used by the fishing industry as a boat anchor.

That gave me a laugh!!! :lol:

Keliuss

21 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Ok, now your plans are clear. But I don't think m51 ever was fitted in AWD cars. Anyway, why to fit so ancient engine in E60? They have m57 engines from factory, which are better option than m51. 

I actually own 2 vehicle's with the M57.  They are hard to come by here and can fetch between $4 - $10k for a damaged parts vehicle.  I just picked up a Discovery 2 and will put the M51 in that.