Hello folks

Im new here having wanted an e34 for a few years but only just ticked the box.

I’ve just bought a 1991 525iA (M50) with 70k miles from Cosford Hall Classics.  Not yet collected whilst I wait for my 2006 XJR to sell but enjoying reading the various threads on here in the mean time.

I was weighing up an e30 but cost and relative condition put me off; I do really like them but I don’t have funds for a rolling restoration so hoping the e34 will be relatively pain free.

Interior is excellent, exterior has a fair few badly touched up chips - overall it looks straight.

Anyway, a few pics for those that didn’t see the eBay ad. I look forward to learning more and hopefully contribute in some way.

2D1723C4-7DFE-4DA3-B6F1-5E22E3DCF039.png

A480C0C0-02C0-4F82-99AC-60DC3178A7BE.jpeg

0839D2BC-850A-435A-B58A-55DFBDFD6A59.jpeg

BB998C92-0004-426E-BCA9-7FC0E291398B.jpeg

73A869A9-31EF-4D4A-BAB9-DC53D4835DF9.png

CC98AEE0-A215-4900-A597-A4B5C5988078.png

A8542556-B3D4-4CFB-A931-A0C60CA9A249.png

D9BAD2E6-88E7-4FF1-ACEA-50F18EEFDCEC.jpeg

Edited by cornershop

On 03/07/2020 at 19:06, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

They look so good in Calypso red on the 15" BBS wheels. Please don't 'improve' it.

I’m really looking forward to 65 profile tyres and spongy coil springs!

Edited by cornershop

Welcome aboard @cornershop. She looks a beauty, and yes it's definitely one of the better colours. I miss my old Calypso 525i all the time. Your interior looks great too and not quite how I remember mine which was the same colour (originally) but unfortunately much abused. 

Hope it brings you many miles of comfort and joy.

Keliuss

Beautiful car you have there! Love the wheels. Together with the colour they give the car a very classy appearance.

Thanks for the comments gents :) 

I think the pics flatter the external condition, there are a number of stone chips and parking dents especially driver side. Which is ok as I won’t be precious about using it.

Hoping to keep it on the 15s, although if the caps go missing I’ll be looking at alternative wheels!

On 04/07/2020 at 09:53, cornershop said:

Thanks for the comments gents :) 

I think the pics flatter the external condition, there are a number of stone chips and parking dents especially driver side. Which is ok as I won’t be precious about using it.

Hoping to keep it on the 15s, although if the caps go missing I’ll be looking at alternative wheels!

They will not go missing, unlike the E30 one's, they are a much better design

Caps are also way cheaper for the e34 compared to the e30 ones. And buy from bmw...often cheaper for than ebay and the likes.

15 hours ago, Tims said:

They will not go missing, unlike the E30 one's, they are a much better design

13 hours ago, Johan said:

Caps are also way cheaper for the e34 compared to the e30 ones. And buy from bmw...often cheaper for than ebay and the likes.

That’s interesting to know - assuming still easy to steal?

7 hours ago, cornershop said:

That’s interesting to know - assuming still easy to steal?

Easy to steal, but absolutly no point in doing so

Collection hopefully tomorrow!

Took a deposit on the XJR, and meeting the buyer at the vendor of the E34 - I said hopefully as hoping we close the deal on the XJR.  

The XJR buyer seems like a nice bloke - was telling me he had an e24 M6 from new, then a dealer spotted his car about 4 weeks after purchase and gave him a superb deal on an e28 M5, as he had a client willing to pay a premium for the e24. 

Will update with more musings tomorrow

Love this stuff - invoices back to when car was new, plus original dealer spec and prices.

Had a nice little drive up from Rugby to Wolves where my mother lives. She was a bit disappointed as I think she quite liked the XJR (heated seats mainly).

i had test drove the car before, but didn’t remember just how vocal the engine and exhaust were.  I loved it though, the burble from the tailpipes up to 3k which softens then hardens again towards the redline; just as I wanted it to be.

Looking forward to sticking more miles on it.  There were a couple of minor clunks I need to get investigated, but otherwise I’m just going to drive it and enjoy it for what it is.

683E9911-7889-4D93-84C9-9925DD7F7850.jpeg

4DF82D1B-4570-4AAF-BC5E-6A607D9B6019.jpeg

2A5FFFD8-2753-491F-B575-4068319B0878.jpeg

0DD728CD-6B9A-451D-9497-41DD0F0F8F88.jpeg

I wasn’t happy with the float over bumps - transpires the front shocks are toast - at least 3 bounces when each corner is pushed down. 

So I’ve purchased new Sachs 312393 shocks and Sachs top mounts from MCS in Wolverhampton -next day service - £141 delivered.  Not exactly sure how it passed the mot in May - vendor suggested they’re not flagged unless they’re leaking :shock:

The family wasn’t happy with the boom from the exhaust - further investigation shows a rotten rear silencer - believed to a genuine BMW replacement fitted in 2006.  Made sense to go with BmW again so got a new one delivered by Cotswold for £435 from Germany.  Add wipers, oil filler cap, expansion tank cap and rear bumper plastics - you get a £700 bill!

I need to get spring pads, shock protection and buffer kit, and the mysterious spring cups if needed.  Front ARB droplink also recommended by the garage.

Oh and the heater blower fan sounds like an alien force has taken over the radio waves - easy to replace with factory Aircon?

Edited by cornershop
Grammar